Range Design?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

gwtaylor

Range Design?

Post by gwtaylor »

I recently had some material donated for a range (50 foot 3-P smallbore) I am trying to draw up a basic layout and trying to figure how much space to give each shooter on the firing line. How wide shoud the firing point be? I hate to be stuck on a firing line with the guy next to me distracting me with gear and movement.
How wide do you like the firing points to be spread?
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

The ISSF Rules say 1.6 meters wide.
gwtaylor

Wider

Post by gwtaylor »

Can they be wider than 1.6 meters and stil be within ISSF rules?

Post by Guest »

Here's what the ISSF rules say about a 50 meter firing point:
6.3.14 Firing Point Standards for 50 m Ranges

The size of the firing point must not be less than 1.6 m wide x 2.5 m long if the firing point is also used for 300 m shooting.

To allow more shooters to participate in 50 m events, the width of the firing point may be reduced to 1.25 m. Target systems used on such ranges must be capable of changing targets without disturbing neighboring shooters.
It would appear that larger would be OK.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Just as important as adequate width is space behind the firing line. Eight feet for the shooters and at least another six for gear and match operators to walk would be nice.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

JohnD wrote:Just as important as adequate width is space behind the firing line. Eight feet for the shooters and at least another six for gear and match operators to walk would be nice.
In support of JohnD,
6.3.6.5.1 Space must be provided for spectators. This area must be separated from the area for shooters and officials by a suitable barrier located at least 5 m behind the firing line.
Might sound like a lot, but from experience I can vouch that at competition this 5 M (more than 16 feet) gets VERY crowded.

Spencer
PaulB

Other indoor range considerations

Post by PaulB »

In the two indoor ranges that I have helped design, build, modify and have shot on for over 30 years the system that needs the most attention is the ventilation. At least some of the questions that need to be answered are (1) will it work well as designed, (2) to meet local regulations (and heating requirements) does the system need to be a recirculation type or can it be "once through", (3) what will be the operating costs (electric, any filters, maintenance, cleaning), (4) who will perform needed preventative and/or corrective maintenance. I highly recommend that you visit as many "good" ranges as you can find and see how they do things. The best ranges that I have visited are the Olympic Training Center range in Colorado Springs and the NRA range in Fairfax, VA (these are both 50m ranges so have some "mega" ventilation systems that are larger than what you would need for a 50 foot range). You can usually also find some good local police ranges (amazing what you can do when using tax dollars).

Ventilation is important but don't forget the importance of good and appropriate lighting, target retreval system (don't want to be walking downrange through lead dust and burned/unburned powder), heating and cooling requirements, acoustics (internal and external), ease of entry and egress, how will regular cleaning be performed, lead management/disposal, environmental and building regulations, storage needs, security, range management considerations (the who, what and whens).

The NRA range manual is a good start but I also suggest that you talk to current range operators and an "expert" in HVAC systems as they apply to shooting ranges.
GOVTMODEL

Re: Other indoor range considerations

Post by GOVTMODEL »

PaulB wrote: The best ranges that I have visited are the Olympic Training Center range in Colorado Springs and the NRA range in Fairfax, VA (these are both 50m ranges so have some "mega" ventilation systems that are larger than what you would need for a 50 foot range).

The NRA range manual is a good start but I also suggest that you talk to current range operators and an "expert" in HVAC systems as they apply to shooting ranges.
Actually, the volumetric flow rate is not a function of the length of the range at all, but the cross sectional area. A range thirty feet wide and eight feet high needs the same volumetric flow rate of air for a 50 foot range as a 50 meter range, ~12000 cfm minimum.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

You are correct, but often the longer ranges have higher ceilings, such as the USOTC with its vaulted and timber bean design.