HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BOOKER

HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH?

Post by BOOKER »

How many shots is normal for "warming up"? I'm still learning and right now my groups are all inside the 7 ring (air rifle target)....yes I know not a big hold but I'm still learning.

Anyway when I'm warming up I have to make like 30-40 shots to really begin to reduce my groups (yes inside the 7 ring).

Are this too many shots?

How many are the average?

Or everybody do as many as they want.

BTW one of my 2007 goals is to reduce my groups inside the 8-ring (I think it's a realistic goal), which I think will be possible with the help of a set of Gehmann trouser and coat that I already ordered.

Thanks for any info.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

It would appear to be on the high side, especially as you are likely to slow down as your shooting improves. I think between 10-20 would be about right for most people. Ask yourself how many you shoot on your home range training - is that any different ?

Rob.
TWP

Post by TWP »

That seems kind of high for an average number of shots to warm up,

But what matters is what's right for you.

My daughter shot 47 sighter shots in kneeling in one big match because it just didn't feel right to her. Once everything settled in she went to record and shot a personal best.

The question is what's right for you and what can you do to warm up without shooting?

Couple things my daughter does to warm up before shooting.

Hold exercises without that jacket on. Mostly used in standing position.

Dry firing

Both of these are things you can do in your prep period to get yourself ready to shoot.
peepsight

Sighters

Post by peepsight »

Hi

Rob is right, you may be shooting a few to many sighters.

The question of how many sighters you should shoot is a very contentious subject. To quote one German coach,"Any body shooting their 20th sighting shot and still hasn't shot a scoring shot after say 20 minutes has lost it. They have pre programmed failure". This is a quote taken from the book Ways of the rifle. I can fully understand what is behind this and you need to rationalise your shooting strategy.

It also depends on how match fit you are, as too many sighters will eat into your match strength. The other school of thought is that some of the 10's you shot on sighters could have been scoring shots.

Keep your sighters to a minimum as best you can so that the match shots can be suitably timed for the time allowed.

Peepsight
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Booker.

Why are you firing sighting shots?

Primarily to be sure the sights have not moved during transport, and that your shots are "on call". Doesn't take very many (4 to 6) to accomplish this.

Secondarily is to settle your postition, but this can be better accomplshed by dry firing during the prep period (and if needed during the early minutes of the match). Dry firing instead of shooting sighters gives you the advantage of really seeing how your NP and hold are working without being "masked" by recoil.

Try more "dry holding" and "dry firing", and use the sighters to check your call and sight setting after you have settled your position.
BOOKER

Post by BOOKER »

Thanks for all the great comments/info.

Pat McCoy: they are not sighters they are for settling, what I call warming up.
Secondarily is to settle your postition, but this can be better accomplshed by dry firing during the prep period (and if needed during the early minutes of the match). Dry firing instead of shooting sighters gives you the advantage of really seeing how your NP and hold are working without being "masked" by recoil.
I think you are completely right on this, I will try more dry-firing.

Thanks again.