Help setting up a Daisy 499

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

hoth2o

Help setting up a Daisy 499

Post by hoth2o »

Any information You guys can give me will help. I do have several specific questions though.

1) Is there a way to lengthen the stock? I have no problem cutting one down but one or more of my shooters need a little longer stock than comes on the rifle.

2) How is the best way to add weight? How much up front vs. back?

3) what do I need to carry with us in case of repairs? (I guess I'm asking what's in you emegecy fix-it box?)

I realize that's alot of questions for a first post, but after searching through the posts I feel you are the guys to ask.

Thanks,
Rob
Turbo Daggit

Post by Turbo Daggit »

Check the rule book but I believe you can add spacers to the rear of the stock to make it longer I also believe you can cut your own stock out of wood Check with the rule book it should help you alot.

A recommended tool kit.

All tools to take the gun apart. Screw driver socket or nut driver for the side etc. If you contact daisy customer support they will fax you a diagram of the trigger and plans to make a spring removal tool out of PVC or Pipe (use pipe I keep breaking the PVC ones)

The major problem I keep having with my 4-H groups 499s is the darn trigger spring keeps falling out. Order springs from daisy or fabricate your own and Become an expert on how to take the trigger down and put in a new spring cause once they are very troublesome. Daisy has a trigger out in the field being tested.

The forend of the bb gun has an open space that lends itself to added weight usually by melting the led and pouring it in. I recommend adding the weight there since that is directly below the spring and plunger mechanisim.

Take Care
Coach Chris
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

You can make a wood piece to lengthen the stock (do this before you add weight)

Weight, The forend stock comes off if you look at it is has space to add weight but it is not big enough so what I did is drilled it out or used a chisel to make more room you can get a good bit of wood out of it. I found I got about 1/2 a pound of lead in there.
The other place you can add weight is the butt stock. Take a 1'2 inch drill bit
and go down as far as you think you can go (I think it is about 4 inch) and if you take the butt stock off you can drill a hole in the skinny part (where you girp the rifle) you can get the rest of the weight you need in there. When you are done adding weight just put some wood filler in the holes and sand it smooth. I should also add that when you pore the lead wrap wet towels around the stock so that is does not burn the stain as much.
Just be sure you don't go over 6 pounds. Hope this helps.

<>Brian<>
Haireacane

499B

Post by Haireacane »

1. We lengthen the stock by adding a portion that we cut off from other stocks and use wooden dowell rods to attach the addition. Using this method allows the addition to be easily added or removed.

2. We add as much as possible in the forend as well as the stock. You can get too much in the stock and the gun is too heavy on the rear. Using melted lead is better than shotgun shot and as someone else posted you can add a half pound to the forend. With a full stock and the forend weighted you can get to the six pound limit and we do for our older and bigger BB shooters. You'll be surprised how much better the kids will shoot with the weighted gun. We also learned that it's much easier to give them a weighted gun to begin with than to add the weight later. They don't fuss about the weight as much that way and if you need an example get one of them to bring in their book bag. A six pound BB gun is nothing compared to that book bag!!

3. I carry everything in a rolling tool box to matches. On the firing line I place a screwdriver that has the different bits and by removing the bit it also doubles as a nut driver. I place one of these screwdrivers at each of our firing points for the coaches along with bb's in a no spill container and a dowell rod in case the bb does not do completely down the shot tube. They are made by Stanley and cost about $5.00. But really during competition you don't have enough time to really repair much and even if you do get it repaired out state, Georgia, does not allow any off range firing for safety issues. We have extra guns with short, medium and full length stocks installed and sighted in as best we can in case of major gun issues.

If I can help with any additonal questions let me know and good luck with your BB team. I also coach air pistol and air rifle but I love working with the younger kids as they don't have attitude issues.

David
hoth2o

Post by hoth2o »

Thanks for all the replies and emails. Helped out a lot!