Trinagles?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Trinagles?

Post by Guest »

I've heard of a few people using triangle foresights. Are there advantages to this or is it just preference for each shooter. What about bar sights as well, any experience with either?
peepsight

Triangular fore sight elements

Post by peepsight »

Hi Guest

Yes i use them for 10m air rifle. If like me you suffer from slight astigmatism, a round fore sight element can become oval and distorted.
Or it greys out due to eye strain.

The eye has to scan a round element for 360 degrees and try to centre the bull in the middle. With the triangular element the eye only has to check 3 reference ponts which are 3 straight sides that make up the triangle.
Straight lines do not usually distort thus less eye strain and an easier sight picture is achieved. I have found that if you use a 4.4 round element one or two sizes down with the triangular element works best, 4.3 or 4.2!!

The eye will always try to centre an object no matter what shape you are looking through and some shooters are now trying square elements.

Gehmann make a variable triangular fore sight and Anschutz make the plastic elements in 18mm & 22mm, they also supply a 'gripper' for the elements.

You do however need time to get used to them.

Get back if you need more info.

Peepsight
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Guest,

I too have switched to the triangle front insert, for much the same reason as Peepsight (astigmatism).

Also, using the same size aperture in the triangle gives me more light comming through, so I have a sight picture I like better (probably due to a cataract beginning to form on my dominant eye).

I suspect the triangle inserts will be more favored by shooters (older?) who have some sort or eye problems, but if you know someone who you can borrow them from be sure to give them a try.

Made almost a five percent difference in my score when I switched.
Southpaw

Triangle inserts.

Post by Southpaw »

I've tried the triangle inserts and haven't been able to get comfortable with the sight picture.

I have a 4.0 and I believe 4.1 and 4.3 for sale if you're looking. Pm me if you're interested. ($20.)

Regards,
SP