recoil control problem

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
THA_RFP

recoil control problem

Post by THA_RFP »

first of all, I'm sorry for my broken english. please be patience.

I'm newbie of ISSF shooting style - only begin for just 1 year. My average competition score is 54x (AP60)

I have 2 problems with recoil control.

1) In slow fire series for standard pistol
My recoil is not go straight up. It goes up but look like snake (not straight up)

2) In timed/rapid fire series
The same story with slow fire series. and when the shot break the gun reach the top, sometime it does not return back if it does return it does not go back to the original spot before shot break. I sometime have to force it to return to the original spot.

Could you guys please give me solutions/or drills to fix this?
Alexey931

Post by Alexey931 »

Pistol Marksmanship Training Guide (use google)

Best regards, Alexey
Tor

Recoil

Post by Tor »

Guest! I think parts of your problem are in the question. I think it’s better to think (or have a mental attitude) that you should “thrust” the recoil rather than controlling it.
When you want to control the recoil it’s much easier for your subconsciouness to steer/correct the recoil in its travel and you will end up with snakes and pigtails.
If you hold a constant and firm grip the pistol will always come back to the target even if the recoil are not moving perfectly vertical. When you start to manage this technique you will also find out that you have much better time than when you are struggling with the recoil between each shot.

About training you have a lot of information here:
http://www.pilkguns.com/anatoli.shtml
http://www.pilkguns.com/anatoli2.shtml

Regards Tor
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

What pistol are you using? What sort of grip does it have? Does it fit you properly? What ammunition do you use?

I am not a fan of long-distance coaching, you rarely get good results. It does however help to know whether you are using suitable equipment.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

David Levene wrote:What pistol are you using? What sort of grip does it have? Does it fit you properly? What ammunition do you use?

I am not a fan of long-distance coaching, you rarely get good results. It does however help to know whether you are using suitable equipment.
Couldn't agree with you more Dave, distance is one thing, but a public forum is another (its like asking strangers on the street).
Tor

?

Post by Tor »

So Levene and Richard H. discussing training/different techniques on this forum are of no use? And you should not answer anything (or share your own experiences) about these subjects IF somebody should ask?

Tor Ingvaldsen
David Levene

Re: ?

Post by David Levene »

Tor wrote:So Levene and Richard H. discussing training/different techniques on this forum are of no use? And you should not answer anything (or share your own experiences) about these subjects IF somebody should ask?

Of course discussing training and different techniques is extremely useful. Answering specific questions without having all of the facts is pure guesswork.

The request was for solutions and drills to fix problems reported by a newcomer to ISSF shooting.

Is the problem being caused by equipment or technique. If the latter, is it mental or physical. If the latter, is it stance or grip or trigger or..........etc.

Without knowing what the cause of the problem is, or at least seeing it, how can anyone give a proper answer.
Richard H

Re: ?

Post by Richard H »

Tor wrote:So Levene and Richard H. discussing training/different techniques on this forum are of no use? And you should not answer anything (or share your own experiences) about these subjects IF somebody should ask?

Tor Ingvaldsen
Take a downer Tor. Discussing things is one thing asking strangers to solve all your problems with-tou knwoing anyhting about you and how you shoot or what you shoot, is another,.

The discussion of techinque are far and between, the forum has become more of a what is the best "insert your product of choice here", or what should I buy? Most of these question (not this one in particular) stem from the same "how can I get more without doing more and what latest thing can give me more points (like testing pellets, haven't seen that enough here).

You coming here chastising David and myself has offered lots of value to the discussion too.