accidently loading 2 pellets

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Nano

accidently loading 2 pellets

Post by Nano »

To the forum:

Wy FWB, Morini and other brands, dont invent a little glass window upside the pellet, to see if the pistol is load, to prevent accindently loading 2 pellets?

Nano
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

You are NOT supposed to load your pistol before you intend to lift it and aim at a target and shoot! It is a bad habit if you are loading a pistol and forget about it. One pellet is as bad as two.
I know what you mean by your question, but take it as a warning and reminder that you did not only wrong when you loaded the second pellet but it was even more wrong that you forgot the first pellet.

Kent
Nano

2 pellets

Post by Nano »

kent:

You never shoot two pellets? I do !!!!. and I do in a match (one go to the 9 and the other to the 6 down).
In a normal process there is no problem, inmediatly you load the pistol you shoot, but have some interruptions for example by the director of the match, and when he say to continue you cant remember if you load your pistol or not.. is quite common to load two pellets.

Nano
Ernie Rodriguez

loading two pellets

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Nano-It gets worse as you get older :-) Ernie
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

It does happen that I load a pellet wrong end first and close as a reflex before I have a chance to hesitate. I have a plastic rod for a case like that.
Perhaps a rod is useful to see if you have loaded the gun or not.
Sorry about the 6 but you did not count that shot, did you?
Have the rule book at hand.

Kent
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

It is an unsafe and bad practice to load a gun then put it down - in fact is expressly forbidden in ISSF matches and could ultimately get you DQ'd. If you do accidently load 2 pellets and shoot them then get the range officers over immediately. The rules cover for it and I believe they knock off the lowest scoring shot (?)

As an other alternative, get a pistol where you physically load the pellet into the barrel, that way it's almost impossible to load 2 - for example an LP10.

Rob.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

It's inevitable that at some time during a match you'll be distracted from your shot process. There are many matches where this never happens, but you need to be prepared for the important match where it does happen. Here are a couple of tricks I use - they've worked well for me so far!

1) If your shot process is broken after you've loaded a pellet, lift the loading lever half way up. This will act as a flag to you, telling you the pistol is loaded. Once the distraction is no longer present you can easily get back into your shot process by pushing the loading lever down into its normal "loaded" position and go on from there.

2) Always keep a rod in your pistol case. I use a wooden kabob skewer that cost me all of about two cents - in fact I bought a big package of them for $1. That way I could have a rod in each of my gun cases, and then gave one or two to everybody in my club who wanted one. The Korean shooter who stood beside me at the last World Cup in Ft Benning sure appreciated my gift of a skewer when we had a cease fire as a result of a major target-system failure mid-way through the match!
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

When I started in 10m, I too, worried what I would do if I loaded a pellet in backwards. I fabricated a polished hard steel rod to use in this event.

When testing pellets by clamping my Morini 162E in my milling machine vise, curiosity got the better of me, and I loaded a few pellets in backward. The distance was just shy of 13M.
To my amazement, they shot to the same point of aim, and didn't open the groups up so far as I could see. I've decided that at 10M., the pellets maintain enough rotational velocity, to remain stable when flying in either direction. Now I've one less thing to worry about, but don't remember ever loading one backwards, but probably have, given the number of sleeves I've gone through.

Paul

Post by Guest »

you can do a chamber check to see if a pellet is inside.

it is entirely possible to see the pellet even after you closed the cover.

this is what i do i open it up and with my right hand still gripping, i angle the whole pistol to the side so i can look into the chamber. the silvery shine of a pellet if present is pretty obvious.
Axel

Post by Axel »

Here is how I did it during a match.

- prepare for the next shot, open lever and put in a pellet and close lever

- change of mind - I need a short break - open lever and put the gun down

- after the break, put in a new pellet and close the lever. (little more force needed, but nothing I reflected over)

- big suprise... :-/

/Axel

Post by Guest »

i managed to get into the habit that once i pick up a pistol i would first check the chamber and subsequently the trigger before i do anything else
iow

Post by iow »

I carry a piece of "twisted strimmer nylon" which is perfect for removing pellets from the barrell ..... It's cheap , flexible & will not leave any particles behind , or damage the pistol in any way .....

Len

PS ....... In the USA I think it's called "reinforced weed whacker cable".