S&W Model 52 Double-Fire

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
GaryBF

S&W Model 52 Double-Fire

Post by GaryBF »

While shooting my S&W Model 52-2 at the range yesterday, I experienced two doubles out of a total of 50 rounds fired. Needless to say, these double-fires were both startling and disturbing. I have owned this gun for over 15 years and these are the only doubles that I ever recall having with this gun. I dismissed the first double as a fluke and kept on shooting (yeah, probably not a smart move). Then the second double occurred during my last five-shot string. It may be only a coincidence, but both double-fires happened with the same magazine after firing the first of five rounds (the second round auto-fired both times). Following the second double, I found that the third round had chambered and the hammer had fallen to the safety notch.

The ammunition I was using were rounds that I reloaded using 148gr HBWC over 3.1gr of Hodgdon TiteGroup. Except for the two doubles, this load seemed to function very well; the accuracy was good (for me), all but two rounds fed flawlessly from the magazine, the cases all ejected smartly, and the slide locked back on the empty magazine. I have used a very similar load before without any problems.

I must confess that I have not cleaned this gun in a while, but I don’t think it is particularly dirty either. I don’t shoot this gun very often.

This gun was pre-owned when I purchased it, but I believe that it is in original condition. I have never done anything to this gun myself, i.e. no new springs, no trigger jobs, no adjustments of any kind.

I know there are a few Model 52 owners on Target Talk. Have any of you ever experienced a double fire with your Model 52 or know of any? Do you have any thoughts on what may cause a Model 52 to double, e.g. worn or broken part, poor maintenance, etc? Thank you in advance for any replies.

Gary
Mike Taylor

52-2 doubling

Post by Mike Taylor »

I've owned three 52-2 and one 52-1. Never experienced doubling.
I doubt the problem is ammo related. To me, the partial hammer fall suggests a sear engagement problem. First, try a thorough cleaning, especially in the hammer/sear engagement area. Test fire using only two rounds at a time - to preclude going auto with five rounds :-(
Second, check for a weakened or broken sear spring.
Third, go on the Smith & Wesson forum
(http://www.smith-wessonforum.com/) and post your problem. There is a wealth of experience available and they are eager to help.
joe1347

Post by joe1347 »

Sounds like it's time to run don't walk to the gunsmith. Pistols going full auto are way too dangerous to take any chances on. IMHO.
Bill A

Post by Bill A »

Never had it happen with my 52, but did have it happen with my Gold Cup .45. It's sear engagement; probably needs to be recut or replaced. My guess is cleaning won't help.

Bill
bubba_zenetti

Post by bubba_zenetti »

i would start with a good cleaning first. dirt can casue a sear not to fully engage on some pistols.

possible causes of hammer follow through on the mod 52:

the model 52 uses a flat spring for the sear spring. it may be weak or broken.

the hammer spring may be weak

the sear nose may be blunt from letting it fall to half cock too many times

the hammer hooks may not be square or there is dirt in the hammer hooks causing the sear not to engage fully

worn hammer and sear pins causing the hammer and sear to wobble on the pins in turn causing poor alignment of the sear nose and hammer hooks.

the trigger return spring is worn casuing inertia to slap the sear on recoil which in turn leads to hammer follow through. to test this, hold the trigger forward . lock the slide open with the slide stop and let the slide slam forward. do this again this time without holding the trigger forward. if the hammer falls to half cock then you have a trigger bounce problem.

if you no hammer follow through, you may have a problem with the firing pin such as a weak or broken pin spring or dirt in the firing pin tube causing a slam fire.

another thing to check is the overall length of your disconnector and the cavity under the slide. if the cavity the disconnector rides in is filled with dirt it can lead to problems. if the disconnector head is worn out, you can have problems.

clean the gun first. use lots of gun scrubber and be sure to get in the trigger assembly nice and good. test for hammer follow by locking the slide open and letting it slam forward by releasing the slide stop. do this 6 or 7 times holding the pistol lightly (but firm enough as to not drop the pistol) if the hammer follows then you have a problem related to sear engament or trigger bounce. if it does not follwo through then suspect firing pin problems. pull the firing pin out and inspect the spring and really give the tube a good cleaning.

at any rate, if you cant get it figured out, send it off to a good smith.