Any Recent News on the Ability to get a IZH-35 Repaired?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
joe1347

Any Recent News on the Ability to get a IZH-35 Repaired?

Post by joe1347 »

A quick email (yesterday) to EAA Corp confirmed that they (EAA Corp) still have no plans to re-import the IZH-35 to the USA.

Thanks to expert advice on this forum - it looks like you still can actually find a few IZH-35's for sale. However, I'm concerned about whether (or not) I'll be able to get an IZH-35 repaired if it has any problems. Especially if any problems turn up immediately since I suspect that getting any kind of warranty is out-of-the-question.
joe1347

Post by joe1347 »

Looks like I spoke too soon about the ability to 'easily' purchase an IZH-35. Unfortunately the FloridaGunworks lead was a dead-end. I just contacted FGW (florida gunworks) and as others have pointed out - they do NOT have any IZH-35's in stock and was told to check back later.

Since EAA is definitely no longer importing the IZH-35 and has absolutely no plans to re-import the IZH-35 per an email from EAA yesterday. I'd stay that our chances of getting an IZH-35 from FGW are about as likely as Brittney Spears getting a PhD in Physics from Princeton.

Post by Guest »

There are many good smiths out there. I can't imagine that the 35m is more complicated than a Benelli, or Pardini.
crrmeyer

Re: Any Recent News on the Ability to get a IZH-35 Repaired?

Post by crrmeyer »

I was offered a Benelli target pistol years back for a quite reasonable price. But I was a bit nervious on getting parts as EAA Corp had just stopped importing them. So I talked to the service folks at EAA and was told that parts were a bit tight so they decided to only sell parts to the original owners of the pistols but no one else. So I decided not to buy the Benelli.

joe1347 wrote:A quick email (yesterday) to EAA Corp confirmed that they (EAA Corp) still have no plans to re-import the IZH-35 to the USA.

Thanks to expert advice on this forum - it looks like you still can actually find a few IZH-35's for sale. However, I'm concerned about whether (or not) I'll be able to get an IZH-35 repaired if it has any problems. Especially if any problems turn up immediately since I suspect that getting any kind of warranty is out-of-the-question.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Getting parts is a serious consideration, but it's too bad you gave up on the Benelli. There are now several sources of parts for them in the US, including Brownells. They typically don't stock them, but they can special order them and their prices are competitive. I wonder if they could special order parts for the IZH-35. Given the "global economy", you might also be able to get parts directly, or through a European dealer.
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

For what it is worth, Frankonia in Germany stock and sell the IZH-35 (or IJ35 as it is there - same thing). They do it as a "standard" grade, "tuned" (where they call it the Frankonia Favorit) and also "tuned with a snazzy two-tone finish". Frankonia happily sell pistols through their international export service (members of my club buy stuff from them regulary) but though "we" are freely allowed to buy directly from them, I gather things are not so easy for the citizens of the United States. However I wonder if a friendly FFL dealer would be able to assist you guys? The Frankonia staff I have spoken to / emailed all had excellent English language skills so that has never been a barrier. Frankonia do carry a large stock of parts for the IZH-35 / IJ35, but I believe that they also have the policy of only providing parts to those who have purchased the pistol from them. For those who are interested, attached is a scan from the 2006 Frankonia catalogue. Prices are in Euro but these would also a 16% German sales tax (possibly removed for export orders outside of the E.U)
Attachments
Frankonia.jpg
joe1347

Post by joe1347 »

Fortitudo Dei wrote:For what it is worth, Frankonia in Germany stock and sell the IZH-35 (or IJ35 as it is there - same thing). They do it as a "standard" grade, "tuned" (where they call it the Frankonia Favorit) and also "tuned with a snazzy two-tone finish". Frankonia happily sell pistols through their international export service (members of my club buy stuff from them regulary) but though "we" are freely allowed to buy directly from them, I gather things are not so easy for the citizens of the United States. However I wonder if a friendly FFL dealer would be able to assist you guys? The Frankonia staff I have spoken to / emailed all had excellent English language skills so that has never been a barrier. Frankonia do carry a large stock of parts for the IZH-35 / IJ35, but I believe that they also have the policy of only providing parts to those who have purchased the pistol from them. For those who are interested, attached is a scan from the 2006 Frankonia catalogue. Prices are in Euro but these would also a 16% German sales tax (possibly removed for export orders outside of the E.U)

Thanks for the info. After looking at the photo - it looks like item #8 is only 399 Euros. Of couse I don't speak German, so possibly thats just the price for a .22 calibre toaster. However, if it's not, 399 Euros ($509 US) seems like a great price for an IZH-35 with an anatomical grip.

Can you post some additional info that would allow anyone interested to contact Frankonia - such as a web address (in English) or an email address? I wonder if Larrysguns (or Pilkguns) would be interested in doing the legwork to allow a group purchase?
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Thanks for the info. After looking at the photo - it looks like item #8 is only 399 Euros. Of couse I don't speak German, so possibly thats just the price for a .22 calibre toaster. However, if it's not, 399 Euros ($509 US) seems like a great price for an IZH-35 with an anatomical grip.
Yup - that's the price. The price for their Toz 35's is also very reasonable (if anyone is interested, let me know and I can post that page as well).
Can you post some additional info that would allow anyone interested to contact Frankonia - such as a web address (in English) or an email address? I wonder if Larrysguns (or Pilkguns) would be interested in doing the legwork to allow a group purchase?
Their main website is http://www.frankonia.de but they have a seperate page for their international export service (in English) at https://export.frankonia.de/scripts/home/home.php
Looking closer, it seems that the German sales tax is removed for non-EU sales, which means the base price for the standard version of the IZH-35 would actually only be about 345 Euro.

A consignment imported by a US ISSF-friendly dealer (such as Pilkguns) who would then resell them would seem to be the logical option if any of them are interested.
joe1347

Post by joe1347 »

Fortitudo Dei wrote:
Yup - that's the price. The price for their Toz 35's is also very reasonable (if anyone is interested, let me know and I can post that page as well).
Their main website is http://www.frankonia.de but they have a seperate page for their international export service (in English) at https://export.frankonia.de/scripts/home/home.php
Looking closer, it seems that the German sales tax is removed for non-EU sales, which means the base price for the standard version of the IZH-35 would actually only be about 345 Euro.

A consignment imported by a US ISSF-friendly dealer (such as Pilkguns) who would then resell them would seem to be the logical option if any of them are interested.

Thanks. I just emailed their export office. My guess is that there are about a million regulations that will make it impossible. Actually two million since I live in Maryland - which likes to discourage anyone from purchasing those evil handguns. I wonder if Pilkguns would be interested in helping out?
Mike Taylor

Importing IJ35

Post by Mike Taylor »

The EAA imported IZH 35 has a grip safety and a manually operated safety lever. Presumably these were (are) required by US law?
Does the European IJ35 have these two safety features?
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Joe, I just checked, and Izh-35Ms are approved.

I hate this state's laws. I'd dearly love a FWB AW-93.
Fortitudo Dei

Re: Importing IJ35

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Mike Taylor wrote:The EAA imported IZH 35 has a grip safety and a manually operated safety lever. Presumably these were (are) required by US law?
Does the European IJ35 have these two safety features?
Not on any of the examples I have seen. However neither does the Pardini SP, Morini CM22, Hammerli SP20 - or any number of ISSF grade pistols which are available for purchase in the US. Perhaps what is needed is a dealer with the tenacity to get the IJ-35 approved for import even though it does not have these (largely useless) safety features.
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

They look like my Walther SP200, which was made in cooperation with Baikal. Cosmetic changes and lack of any safety only a slide lock that works---if you don't look at it--still an IZH35M in a low level mufti. Good gun----
joe1347

Post by joe1347 »

Discouraging news from Larrysguns on importing the IZH-35. The following is a quote (from Larrysguns).
There are problems importing the IZH [into the USA]. It is not on the StateDept. Approved list of Russian guns that are importable. We don't even attempt it.
Looks like importing a new IZH-35 through a US FFL/dealer is impossible. Time to consider other alternatives.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

joe1347 wrote:Discouraging news from Larrysguns on importing the IZH-35. The following is a quote (from Larrysguns).
There are problems importing the IZH [into the USA]. It is not on the StateDept. Approved list of Russian guns that are importable. We don't even attempt it.
Looks like importing a new IZH-35 through a US FFL/dealer is impossible. Time to consider other alternatives.
I've dealt with Larry's guns and they tell some pretty big tails like shipping a red dot scope into Canada is against State Dept. rules so, take it what its worth. By the way I contacted the manufacture and they shipped one to me no problem. Seems Larry's likes to blame things on the State Dept.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

joe1347 wrote:Discouraging news from Larrysguns on importing the IZH-35. The following is a quote (from Larrysguns).
That doesn't make any sense at all, since these guns were imported into the U.S. by EAA until last year. The real issue is that most importers would have to have a substantial markup to pay for the time/expense of handling the import. In Larry's case he probably feels that his (limited) time is best spent on other activities.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Fred Mannis wrote:
That doesn't make any sense at all, since these guns were imported into the U.S. by EAA until last year. The real issue is that most importers would have to have a substantial markup to pay for the time/expense of handling the import. In Larry's case he probably feels that his (limited) time is best spent on other activities.
I can respect a guy who says that its not worth it to him to import something or ship it to another country but instead he choose to lie about it so I wouldn't trust him regarding anything.
Dennis

IJ-35

Post by Dennis »

As a dealer that has an importers FFL, I can tell you that the IZH-35 is appproved but, the IJ-35 is not.
Any handgun, even revolvers, must have an external manual safety.
Most of the handguns that are in this country that do not have this feature were either imported for
military shooters or were brought in before the laws were strickly enforced. Beleive me, the BATF confiscated and destroyed my Hammerli 232 that I imported in earlier this year.

Dennis
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

The IZH-35M comes with a palm safety as standard but here in Oz this is usually pinned as it is not a requirement for a target pistol. It is difficult to pass gun check for an ISSF match because the palm safety has to be pushed in before the trigger weight can be checked.

I believe that IZH-35 model made for the US has a thumb safety on the LH side, right next to the sights. The booklet (if you can call it that) which came with my IZH shows a model with the thumb safety. In its place, I just have a hole through the frame.

Getting these great little pistols appears to be a problem. Last year, the importer in Sydney got 100, of which I was lucky enough to snare one. They sold out within a month. I purchased mine as a back-up pistol but it functioned so smoothly that it is now my main pistol for rapidfire and standard pistol. I paid about $80 extra to have the palm safety pinned and the trigger lightened off so it was near the 1000g minimum for ISSF.

Post by Guest »

[quote="Richard H"I can respect a guy who says that its not worth it to him to import something or ship it to another country but instead he choose to lie about it so I wouldn't trust him regarding anything.[/quote]

Interesting perspective let me see if I understand it correctly -- Larry or one of his employees in the USA gave you an answer they probably thought was correct regarding shipping a firearm related item to Canada. Canada, as many of us know is a country known worldwide to have some pretty restrictive laws on firearms. Larry's information turned out to be wrong. You then call him a liar on a public forum with nothing really to back it up -- that's complete BS. I don't find your opinion in this case at all credible. Dick Poore