Axson Hand pump repair

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Alex L

Axson Hand pump repair

Post by Alex L »

Yesterday, I had my hand pump repaired, and I was a student to the mechanic! I watched him Very carefully for the whole time, while he dismantled the pump, cleaned and repaired it, and put it back together.

My pump is about 5 years old, and was corroded and dusty inside the shaft.
When you know how - it is not too hard to disassemble. You need a few different sized allen keys, a good vice, and cleaning agents, and of course, new O rings of various sizes, and lock-tight and silicon oil.

If anyone has problems with their pump, I suggest you remove the bottom part of the pump, where the main sleeve fits in to the base. There is a drop screw which you must remove with an allen key. This will give you access to the bottom part and the 3 shafts. There is a non-return valve there, with a spring and O rings which need to be removed, and cleaned before replacing. This is the first stage.

If any other O rings need changing from around the shafts, you will need to remove the handle - which will give you access to the shafts.

To write down all the process will take quite a while - however there are 2 aspects which were pointed out to me -
1) don't use the pump on a carpet, as there is too much fluff/dust.
2)keep a cover over the nipple where you screw your empty cylinder onto, to keep it clean. there is a special silicon oil you can add to keep the flexibility of the O rings.

There was a drawing on the web somewhere, that was not a lot of help, as there were no instructions with it. I was lucky to find Hermann's Sporting Guns in Oz, who knew a thing or two about these pumps.
You can find him on www.hermannsguns.com

I hope this can be of assistance to someone.
Alex L.
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

Hi,
You may refere to this link I provided some time ago.

http://www.fxairguns.net/en/filer/pump-ss-en-0501.jpg

sorry if it was not useful for you, it may be nice to someone though.

Kent
Alex L

Axsor Air Pump

Post by Alex L »

Kent, there was nothing wrong with the drawing - except there were no written instructions to go with it.

I found I needed to know what special tools I required, and what I should look for, to sort out my problem.

Sorry, if you mis-understood my remark. I have saved the drawing - and now that I have had this session with Hermann I can understand the drawing, and Now - it will be a hlep in the future.

Thank you for putting up the website where the drawing was.

Alex L.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Alex
Thanks for mentioning that I shouldn't be pumping up the cylinder on the carpet. I have been doing it in front of the heater where the air is warm, and hopefully less condensation.

My work takes me past Hermann frequently so I could drop my pump in if there was any worries but I'd prefer not to have it break-down.
I just never gave a thought to fluff being a problem.

Maybe I could just encourage my non-shooting wife to assist by vaccuuming the carpet more often for me..... or is that going down a dangerous path?

Cheers
Alex L

Axsor air pump

Post by Alex L »

Hi, Colin,
" is that going down a dangerous path?"

Yes I would say so!!!!!!!!!! (from Liz) :))

How old is your pump?
You could put a board down, if you want to be near the heater, and then you should not get the carpet fluff.

Regards,
Alex L.
HLS

Axsor Pump repair

Post by HLS »

Please take a look at http://home.znet.com/clarke2/PUMP.html . I found this site very useful. Hope it helps you!
AnotherGuest

Post by AnotherGuest »

How paranoid should we be about ensuring the pumped air is dry? FWB apparently are not keen on the use of hand pumps because of the risk of moisture / corrosion.