Morini free pistol compensator

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Axel

Morini free pistol compensator

Post by Axel »

Hi all,

As far as I understand there are two different compensators made by morini for CM84E, one with holes and the other one (more like the TOZ comp) with slots. Anyone tried them? Do they make a difference in shot feeling etc?

/Axel
Ernie Rodriguez

Morini Compensator

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

I have the Morini M271-compensator-which I no longer use.It has the 8 holes at 45 degree and it is OK.It reduces the recoil ,jump and encourages a steady follow through.It doesn't do anything to the accuracy as near as I can tell.I will probably will sell it one of these days.Ernie
jigmeb

Post by jigmeb »

Mr. Rodriguez:
Is the compensator to heavy for you or are you just dissapointed with it that you want to sell it?

Happy shooting,

jigmeb
Ernie Rodriguez

Compensator

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

The compensator is only 10 gms more than the std Morini front sight holder-not much of a difference. I put about 140 gms more,towards the middle/front ,for balance,on the pistol.I didn't feel like cleaning it after 200/300 shots-so I took it off.However it DOES work.Ernie.
CA Bullseye

Morini CM84E Compensator

Post by CA Bullseye »

I have the newer compensator which I purchased from Pilkguns just over a year ago, and six months after I purchsed the Morini. The gun is well balanced for me, but I'm not good judge on it's performance due to the fact that I've only been shooting Free Pistol less then two years now. Prior to the Morini I was using a Hammerli 280. But I will add that in May I shot a 524. In 2005 my average was 484 and to date my average is 496. So for now I'll continue to leave the compensator on.

CA Bullseye
CA Bullseye

Morini CM84E Compensator

Post by CA Bullseye »

I have the newer compensator which I purchased from Pilkguns just over a year ago, and six months after I purchsed the Morini. The gun is well balanced for me, but I'm not good judge on it's performance due to the fact that I've only been shooting Free Pistol less then two years now. Prior to the Morini I was using a Hammerli 280. But I will add that in May I shot a 524. In 2005 my average was 484 and to date my average is 496. So for now I'll continue to leave the compensator on.

CA Bullseye

Post by Guest »

I'm confused - as usual. What does a compensator accomplish that justifies its use?? I tend to agree with Ernie that it does nothing to accurize a typical free pistol which is likely to group less than an inch at 50 meters to start out with.

So what does adding a compensator do besides softening recoil? Followup question, what does softening recoil do in a discipline where no follow up shot is possible???

I just dont get it.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Dear Guest,

If you were to actually shoot free pistol on a regular basis you might 'get it'. Here's why... FP requires a high degree of precision. Delivering a bullet to the same point of impact time after time is very demanding. Since the pistol is only one part of the 'shot delivery system', its inherent accuracy is only one element in the equation that defines overall precision. The other elements of the 'shot delivery system' are the human elements - hand, wrist, arm, shoulder, eye, brain, legs, torso, etc. It is generally agreed that these elements contribute greater error than does the pistol itself.

If we want to improve the precision of the 'shot delivery system' we have to improve the way our human elements interact with the pistol. Reducing recoil and muzzle flip are, for some shooters, ways to improve this interaction. Less perceived recoil means for some shooters that they may not have to grip the pistol as tightly or perhaps use quite as solid a lockup of their wrist. This in turn may reduce fatigue and contribute to better consistancy across the 60-shot match. THIS is why some people use a compensator.

Unlike the 'go fast' shooting sports where the focus is on rate of delivery of fire, FP is a slow sport with a focus on precision. This being the case, the equipment is tailored to the sport. Don't think about blazing away with a Glock 40 or even a Rapid Fire pistol and apply those equipment technical requirements to the sport of FP, as it appears through your line of questioning that you may have done. Instead, consider the requirements of FP and then think about how one could possibly improve the precision of the 'shot delivery system' for this sport. Once you've given this sufficient consideration you'll be able to see why a compensator can be the right tool for some shooters.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

In addition to Mark's excellent post (reducing variance of entire shooting system) . . .

Actually, a compensator MAY improve the mechanical accuracy of the pistol subsystem directly. The AMU has done extensive testing and found this to be the case in a least a couple of instances.

I think we "had this one out" in a thread a few months back?

Steve Swartz
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

Although I am mostly a pistol shooter, I do subscribe to Precision Shooting magazine, mostly about benchrest shooting. There have been a series of articles by a respected smallbore benchrest gunsmith, Bill Calfee, who has done extensive testing of stabalizers in which there is a certain weight that is in front of the barrel crown to yeild best accuracy. I wonder if these AMU and Morini compensators work in the same way? It would be interesting to see if the "little holes" really do the job, or is the weight of the stabalizer affecting accuracy? Personally, I think my Morini shoots where I point it without aid of a compensator, sometimes tens-sometimes much worse, but if I had lots of free time, it might be fun to play with the options. WORK, it is a four letter word.
jigmeb

Post by jigmeb »

Hi, wich of the two compensators would you pleople buy the shorter one or the new long compensator? does one work better than the other?

Thank you,

jigmeb.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

jigmeb - the 'original' compensator works well, and is both shorter (so it fits in the standard case provided by Morini with the pistol) and significantly lighter than the 'new' compensator. Unless you like a really nose-heavy pistol I would likely advise against buying the 'new' comp. I have to admit that I've shot both the old and new comps and find the new one probably works better for recoil reduction. I don't own one of the new ones but a friend who does own one actually fabricated a shorter barrel to compensate for the extra length of the 'new' comp. This combination shoots well and feels good, but starts to get a bit expensive unless you happen to have a cheap supply of barrels and a friend who's a machinist! LoL

By comparison, I've managed to get almost the same recoil reduction performance as the 'original' comp provides from a custom-made comp which is only half as long as the 'original'. Since I don't like a muzzle-heavy pistol this solution works better for me. As always, your mileage may vary!