Walther GSP Ammo?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
bubba_zenetti

Walther GSP Ammo?

Post by bubba_zenetti »

Can any GSP owners reccomend some good ammunition that works well with the pistol? I just purchased a used unit and I was wondering what is some good 22lr match grade ammo.

Dynamit Noble comes to mind. Is there anything else I might want to try? I am not that familiar with match grade ammo brands so I do not know what I should be looking for.

Thanks all =)
Mike T.

Ammo for GSP

Post by Mike T. »

From my experience, the GSP is one of the least fussy target pistols when it comes to ammo. I owned one for about 25 years and fed it a diet consisting primarily of Remington standard velocity and Winchester T22. I also shot Imperial Target (both CIL and IVI) and Gevalot standard velocity and a few others that I don't recall at the moment.
Mike T.
Dick

Post by Dick »

I've had my GSP Expert for about a year. When I first got it did some reasonably serious bench testing with about a dozen different types of ammo and saw some consistent, but not large, differences between them. I got the best groups with CCI Pistol Match, which is what I now use in competition. I use CCI Standard Velocity in practice because it shoots to the same point of aim (but with somewhat larger groups). Others on my BE team also have GSPs and have different preferences, although most use CCI SV in both practice and comp. BTW, I found the Remington SV to be very accurate but it has reliability problems (1 to 2 misfires per box of 50) that make it essentially unusable for competition - others I know have had the same problem.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

I don't own a GSP and never have owned one, so can only pass along 2nd had experience. A local sport pistol shooter has a very "experienced" GSP. I've watched her group test this pistol at 25m and have seen it produce pretty decent groups from a wide variety of ammunition ( a very wide variety). Her pistol is perhaps more finicky than others in that it likes to shoot hotter ammo in cooler temperatures. Mild ammo will result in misfeeds at lower temperatures. Her ammo of choice for competition is Tenex, but like most of the rest of us, can't afford to use it for anything but a serious match.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I last owned a GSP in 1984.

At that time I obtained equally good groups from RWS Pistol Match, Eley Pistol Match and Tenex. For me, by far the nicest recoil was with the RWS Pistol Match.

The funny thing was, when I changed to a FAS 602 I still had the same quality groups from those ammunition types but the Eley Pistol Match then won on recoil characteristics.
R.M.

Post by R.M. »

Well, my wife and I have been shooting GSP's for better than 15 years. IMO these guns will eat just about anything you throw at them, some better than others.
We shot CCI std vel. for many years. It just went bang every time. Then I started ransom-resting. CCI was the worst grouping ammo that I tested out of both of our guns. Wolf/SK grouped pretty good, as did Eley Target Pistol (yellow box). Surprisingly, Aguila Std vel, grouped very well, but for us, we get about one dud in every box of 50.
There's a lot of brands that I didn't test, just what's locally available at a decent price. You could get noticeably different results.

Hope this helps.
R.M.
Tor

GSP ammo.

Post by Tor »

Hello !
This is a link to a test done with GSP, Uniqe and Sako.
It tell nothing about function, but anyhow.............

http://hem.bredband.net/nfdt/22lr/

Tor Ingvaldsen
Mike T.

.22LR ammunition

Post by Mike T. »

Fascinating results on that site, Tor.
Speaks well for the Unique, and to a slightly lesser extent, the Tri-ace. They seem to do well with a wider selection of ammo than the GSP. Still, with the "right" ammo, the GSP produces a very tight group, too.
I'm unfamiliar with the brand of ammo in the gold-coloured box with the target rings in the upper left corner of the box. Who manufactures that, please?
Mike T.
RobStubbs

Re: .22LR ammunition

Post by RobStubbs »

Mike T. wrote: I'm unfamiliar with the brand of ammo in the gold-coloured box with the target rings in the upper left corner of the box. Who manufactures that, please?
Mike T.
Mike,
That's SK which is made by Lapua as I recall.

Rob.
rapid2

SK

Post by rapid2 »

SK-Schonebeck:
Its a German factory, that is now a subsidiary of Lapua.
Great ammo, but something strange happened to their website!

http://www.skmunition.de/deutsch/weiche ... folge.html

Cheers,
Bob
bubba_zenetti

Post by bubba_zenetti »

nice link tor. thanks for everyones input. i am now armed with a list of names to go shopping for so i can do my own testing.

looking at that page tor posted up, it would seem the DES69 shoots some pretty tight groups no matter what you toss in it.
Mike T.

Correction

Post by Mike T. »

Earlier, I noted, "Speaks well for the Unique, and to a slightly lesser extent, the Tri-ace."
On re-examing the results, I see that in fact the Tri-ace did slightly better overall than the Unique. That is, it shot X-ring groups with 21 of the 34 tested lots of ammunition, as opposed to the Unique, which shot (only) 18 X-ring groups (by my rough estimation).
Interesting that even brands that could not hold the 10-ring with one gun could hold the X-ring (or really close to it) in another gun (CCI SV for one example).
Mike T.