"better" upgrade Daisy sights?

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Sawyer

"better" upgrade Daisy sights?

Post by Sawyer »

I heard a couple of years ago that the upgrade sights that Daisy sells for the Sporter air rifles had two versions on the market-- unofficially. One was simply better made, though you had to know who manufactured it to know which was which. Does anyone know what the story was with these sights? Did this have anything to do with Gamo? Maybe Gamo was making the good ones? (Or maybe I have that wrong?)

Thanks,

Larry S.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Yes Gamo sights are the better sights .... the Daisy sights are (chinese) copies. You can find them also on e-bay, but don't go for them

While the Daisy sights are much less expensive, only about 1 in 4-5 of them are any good. There is usually way too much backlash in the sights for them to be useful. You can tell the good ones from the "bad" ones by holding the sight in one hand and wobbling the diopter with the other hand ... if it wobbles, it's a bad one.

I've ordered many of the Daisy sights over the past year and have only kept 1. The rest I returned. Daisy had been working to improve them, but as of Nov-Dec last year I really had not seen any improvement.

Brezovich Firearms is the importer of the Gamo sight. They are currently $90 I believe (yup .... ouch, but worth it if you are going to go that way)
I ordered a few yesterday and they are on backorder as Hammerli was the European distributor, and when Walther bought Hammerli all the inventory had to move.

Deb Brenzovich said that they were expecting them soon, but could not give me a firm date. I'd suggest you call her and get your name on the list for these. (877-585-3775)

==============
To see the trouble with the Daisy sights:

Sight the airgun in on the 1 ring at 9 oclock. Then go three right clicks and fine another pellet .... keep dong this every three clicks.

Look at the pattern of the spacing. sometimes your hole will not move until 6-7 clicks and then take a wild jump.

This is just frustrating for any shooter and make the sight very unreliable .... any bump to the sights makes a major POI change.
=============

Don't think I don't like Daisy products .... I love the 888 and the 747 airguns for my kids.

I'm a 4-H coach in Valencia county NM
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Thank you! That's exactly what I wanted to know.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

If you are putting these on an 888, I'd recommend that you go to Daisy and get the 753 front sights assembly ... #5901 .... They are about $16 each.

These will allow your to use common 18mm apertures.
LouisG

"upgrade" better Daisy sights

Post by LouisG »

Our experience with Gamo and Chinese copies are similar to yours.
I know that it is a schlepp but if anybody is interested some of these sights can be modified to work reasonably satisfactorily.

I noticed a post recently critisizing the 200T or XV 40 style rifle.We have about 2000 of these rifles in our schools program and have been using them for 4 years.Our rifles are sourced from Air Arms UK and although they need maintenance our experience with these rifles are excellent. We now also use the MPR from Air Arms and that is also a tremendous gun for the price.

If anybody is interested in exchanging technicalities please contact me.

LouisG.
South Africa.
jhmartin

Modifying sight is illegal mod in the US

Post by jhmartin »

As an engineer, when I first encountered this issue, I ripped the rear sight apart and added springs and used tighter tolerance pins. Sight worked fantastic ..... however I was informed that this is an illegal modification in both 3-PARC and NRA rules .... ONLY stock rear sights are allowed.

When I figured in the time and materials it took me to modify a sight I came to the conclusion it was a wash to order the true GAMO sight which is an allowed substitution.

3-P Air Rifle Council
4.2.6 Other Prohibited Modifications
Any alteration or modification of the external or internal dimensions or factory-manufactured parts of approved Sporter air rifles, or the substitution of factory-manufactured parts from other air rifles, not specifically authorized by these rules is prohibited. Except for the butt of the stock (see Rule 4.2.4), adhesive sprays or other non-slip material may not be used on the rifle or competitor’s clothing.
LouisG

Post by LouisG »

The repair that I do to these sights is just that a repair I do not replace pins or springs. I repair an oversized hole at the bottom of the sight where the guide pin runs through to correct a manufacturing defect. The Gamo sight (Which is the original) does not have this defect. Consider approaching your commitee to apply Rule 1.3 INTENT AND SPIRIT OF THE RULES.
pilkguns at Bianchi

Post by pilkguns at Bianchi »

Louis,
what happened to those Anschutz .22 rifles? Have they been destroyed yet?
LouisG

Post by LouisG »

As you are probably aware South Africa is a signatory to the UN treaty on the non proliferation of small arms. It would appear as if all the Anschutz small bore rifles have been destroyed (not confirmed).

The good news is that we shoot 3P Air at shools 2000+ active participants. Last year we competed against your NRA in a postal League. The schools use primarily the Air Arms 200T (Daisy Avanti) as well as the Air Arms S400 MPR rifles
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

LouisG writes:
The repair that I do to these sights is just that a repair I do not replace pins or springs.
Louis ... I would be more than happy to try and take this to the comittee.

Actually Scott may have a better chance as he has previously waded thru this process .... and he may have an alternative for us later as well.

Please post a description and maybe some pics .... I have a supply of old sights that are really crappy I can get my hands on, and we can perform the fix.

However, as it stands now (I believe) it is a mod that is "not specifically authorized", so we (US folks) have be careful not to put it in the hands of a competitor until it is approved.
LouisG

Post by LouisG »

I will post details on the repair that I do as soon as I can. Just very busy at the moment.