USA Shooting

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

JLK

USA Shooting

Post by JLK »

Anyone have an idea why I get error messages when I try to download from the USA Shooting website?
Thanks!
JLK
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

I don't have the answer - I'm afflicted too, but I was told I was the only one experiencing this difficulty when I contacted them. Sorry to hear of another... If you do resolve it, I'd be quite interested in the solution.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
http://www.airforceshooting.org/
http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

Without an indication of the actual error all I can offer is some general reasons:

1. If you are behind a firewall (at your company, for instance where this is common) you may need to update your browser configutation to set the proxy server.

2. Some companies block certain words and types of files.

3. The sight might just be busy or the download non-existant (a 404 error).

There are probably many more but hopefully this will help.

Best,

Joe
wrc

Post by wrc »

Am I the only person that hates the new look?
I find their site really annoying with all the downloading they make you do. I guess I understand that the seperate files theoretically enable them to update info quickly, but ...
It seems rather primitive with no pictures, etc., like if they were really geeky looking, no one will notice that they are using guns!
Not to mention that the idea of downloading just seems to invite computer virii etc.
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

wrc wrote:Am I the only person that hates the new look?
I find their site really annoying with all the downloading they make you do. I guess I understand that the seperate files theoretically enable them to update info quickly, but ...
It seems rather primitive with no pictures, etc., like if they were really geeky looking, no one will notice that they are using guns!
Not to mention that the idea of downloading just seems to invite computer virii etc.
Honestly, I agree with you. I find that having to download a pdf for most anything I want to see is simply not my cup of tea. IMO, Web sites should be entertaining and pleasing to view. Links for pdf's are neither.

I suppose their thinking was to make it more "international" ala the ISSF site. I can understand the ISSF having more of a need for pdf's as their audience truly is international. But, my bet is that at least 80% of the hits on the USAS site are coming from people in the USA, and if it were my call, I'd do everything humanly possible to make that site informative, visually stimulating, easy to use, and a place I would like to visit often.

Links to pdf's are as exciting as watching paint dry. Where have we heard that before??

Stan

Post by Guest »

Count me in fellas - the new look of the USAS website is anything BUT an improvement.

I have T1 lines here at the office and it still takes several minutes to download the PDF files.
jackh

joining USAS online

Post by jackh »

I tried joining USAS online over about 5 attempts. Finally gave up. You would think they would make it easier to navigate their site. I believe I am able to log in to something there, but I have no idea what.
Mr. Famous

USA Shooting's New Web Site "LOOK"

Post by Mr. Famous »

I Totally agree withe the user "unfriendly improvements" !!
Maybe if we voice , so to speak, our displeasure they will make some changes backwards for progress :-).
Mr. Famous
TWP

Post by TWP »

I've had no problems with the USA Shooting Website.

Downloads work just fine for me.

I don't know if the content is an improvement, but I think it's easier to find what I need now.

I know how to read so having pictures isn't that important to me.
Mr. Famous

USA Shooting'S web site.

Post by Mr. Famous »

Thanks for your input TWP. The older format seemed (was) easier to use although the new is not difficult. I TOO CAN READ and at times do prefer pictures. I have a vivid mental picture of you :-)
Mr. Famous
JohnK

geeee

Post by JohnK »

I thought I'd asked for help downloading NOT if anyone liked downloading...
hmmmm
Mr. Famous

USA Shooting

Post by Mr. Famous »

You are absolutely correct John K and I do apologize.
I don't have any problems with downloads other than having to click on the file I want to download more than once. Even though the acknologement of having clicked on a preference is indicated on the screen sometimes more than one click is needed to initiate the download.
Sorry I got caught up in anothers post concerning USA Shooting and did not respond to yours.
Mr. Famous
R

Post by R »

If you guys are using Firefox as your browser, try opening the files with IE. I tried downloading files from 3 different computers on firefox, but none of them would open, but they all would open in Internet Explorer.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

R wrote:If you guys are using Firefox as your browser, try opening the files with IE. I tried downloading files from 3 different computers on firefox, but none of them would open, but they all would open in Internet Explorer.
I have no trouble downloading PDF files from the USAS site using Firefox. The trouble may be in the browser's settings
jackh

I'm still not a member

Post by jackh »

I only cannot get the online membership purchase to work for me.
TedT

Post by TedT »

I like many of you find the USA Shooting webpage very cumbersome to navigate and extremely confusing. I don't know how USA Shooting expects to communicate with the public and its members with such a poor web page. It really is an embarrassment to the organization.
Coach Don

USAS web site

Post by Coach Don »

I just got an email from the new Media Relations Mgr. - Najasila J. Campbell, at USAS, and she told me that they are working on changing the web site. It should have better navigation, fewer downloads, fewer unnecessary links, more useful information and a new look. One of their donors is helping with this and it should be rolled out by the end of the year.
Thought you folks might like to know. She is looking for secific suggestions, too. If there are web sites with better content/navigation, send her a link. She is available at her email: ncampbell@usashooting.org
Don in Oregon
WRC

Post by WRC »

Thanks for the heads-up, Don. I'm glad they are looking into it, & will consider users' input.

Post by Guest »

I use Firefox and have had no problems downloading anything ever from USAS.
The site its self is another issue. The old one wasn't seamless, but I miss it more evert time I go to USAS. It seems they tried to reinvent the wheel with the new one.
Argy

Post by Argy »

It appears USA Shooting is listening. A new web page is in the works. See here:

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=14408