I Don't Think Bullseye Subjects Belong on This Site

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Bob LeDoux

Post by Bob LeDoux »

We are starting to get queries from bullseye shooters. The recent Pardini 45 and 9 x 19 threads don't fit the purpose of Target Talk.

Its right on top of the masthead:

"TargetTalk a place to talk about Olympic style shooting, rifle or pistol, 10 meters to 50 meters, and whatever is in between."

There are plenty of other sites to cover these venues.

How do other readers feel?
Hap Rocketto

Post by Hap Rocketto »

Shooting is shooting.

There is nothing wrong with a little cross pollination as we can both learn from each other. Many of us shoot both bullseye and international and if I can learn something from one discipline which will help me in the other I am all for it.

Hap Rocketto
Ernie Rodriguez

B'eye Shooting

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

I don't see anything wrong with the inquiry.He need some advice.There are many knowledgeable people out there who might have an answer for a fellow shooter-what is wrong with sharing?? Ernie.
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

I suppose whether the contributions made by BE shooters on this site belong here is ultimately up to the Pilks.

It is beyond any reasonable argument that participants in the international shooting disciplines (and the consumers of those products) are also shooting BE. Here in the US there is a tremendous amount of cross over talent shooting both. Brian Zins, John Bickar, John Zurek, Erich Buljung are a few examples of world class shooters that come to mind.

BE shooters are part of our overall shooting community and unless there is a compelling reason to muzzle them, I hope they will always be welcome to share their knowledge in this fantastic marketplace of ideas that Target Talk provides.

Shooters are isolated enough in today's society - we dont need to draw our own lines in the sand by encouraging censorship based on the size of the scoring rings. Subjects on the list serve are clearly identified - if someone doesnt want to know anything about a gun over .32 caliber, they can stop right there.

Respectfully,

F. Paul in Denver
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

F. Paul in Denver wrote:Subjects on the list serve are clearly identified - if someone doesnt want to know anything about a gun over .32 caliber, they can stop right there.
That's exactly what I do. I have no interest in BE so just don't bother reading those threads (they are normally easy to spot).
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

I agree that pistol shooting is pistol shooting. Most of the techniques and many of the pistols are used in both venues, so I don't see any problem with the occasional bullseye question.

If us bullseye shooters start to take over the board from us international shooters, perhaps a crackdown will be needed, but for now, I see very few bullseye specific questions. I don't see it as a problem.

In my opinion this board is excellent. Don't change it until there is a problem.

Steve T
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

"Olympic Style Pistol" to me conjures up a one-handed stance.

BE seems to fit that description.

"10 meters to 50 meters, and whatever is in between" sounds like a defined minimum and maximum distance.

BE is most commonly shot at 50 feet, 25 yards and 50 yards; seems to fit "whatever is in between."

Standard Pistol has nearly an identical format to BE, although Standard isn't in the Olympics, so even though it is considered International, maybe we shouldn't mention it either?

I guess I don't see where BE isn't contained within the host definition, but then again, I'm a BE competitor who only dabbles in International events and I must admit that although I shot my .45 competitively in Germany for a few years (even made it to the Nationals), it really wasn't an Olympic discipline. I do understand the original poster's concern over specific things that might not interest a majority of listers, but this venue also offers a very diverse group of "world" members and that bit of info requested might be more readily available from this group than in the BE venues.

Maybe I should quit posting my site links at the bottom of my messages, though, since my site is called "Things of Interest for Bullseye Competitors" and the AF link is for the "National" Pistol Team.(smile)

Take Care,
Ed Hall
http://www.airforceshooting.org/
http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

In North America it is common to shoot both ISSF an NRA ie 1800 or 2700. In Canada it's included at our Nationals. I don't see a problem, but maybe thye could add topic in the index for Bullseye that way the purist don't have to go there. Just a suggestion.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

In North America it is common to shoot both ISSF an NRA ie 1800 or 2700. In Canada it's included at our Nationals. I don't see a problem, but maybe thye could add topic in the index for Bullseye that way the purist don't have to go there. Just a suggestion.
Richard Newman

BE postings

Post by Richard Newman »

There is another thread which has been going on for a while about encouraging shooters to start shooting Olympic style. Seems to me if a BE shooter is looking at this site, maybe he/she will become interested in International shooting. This board certainly isn't being overrun by BE posts. I think helping and encouraging BE shooters is a good way to recruit. Catch more shooters with help than with rejection
Richard Newman
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

I'm of a mixed mind on this. I would rather it be pure Olympic disciplines, but I recognize that a lot of people compete in both, and we do sell stuff for both... so a little bit here and there is OK. And some things like Pardini or Hammerli questions, sometimes there is a greater source of knowledge here because of other similar guns than there would be on a more pure BE forum. For the most part, I don't see enough BE only posts to get worried about. It would be nice however, if the BE posts were posted in the Pistol section where they more appropiately belong. I have pulled some posts tha were asking plinking type questions, which were a little far afield , while e-mailing the poster and trying to point them in the right direction.

Honestly, Ernies red-dot question elsewhere besided being in the wrong category, nearly got pulled a few minutes ago, as it on the surface it has no relation to ISSF events at all, except that at the request of a lot of users of this board, red dots are legal for use in the USASNC*. Soooooo I guess it can stay, even though I don't like, but I will move it to pistol.

* you can't win anything with them, so I really don't see the point, but hey, you can be there putting lead downrange so if it works for you , it works for me.
funtoz

Post by funtoz »

My objection is that many of the shooters that post conventional pistol topics to TargetTalk, also post them to Bullseye-L and other lists and groups. Take the questions to the appropriate forum rather than posting it everywhere. Ernie's red dot topic belongs on Bullseye-L, where he is a member. People should be able to exercise a little common sense so Scott, Paul, Jon, Patric, and others that so graciously provide these forums and pay for the bandwidth don't have to engage in policy policing.

Larry
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Well using the logic of just Olympic shooting being talked about on this site I guess 3-P air should also be taboo, not in the Olympics and not even an ISSF event, Center fire is also not in the Olympics so I guess that goes too.

It boggles my mind that the shooting sports don't have enough enemies that people from within have to nit pick and put up walls.

If you don't like a post don't read it. Personally I'd rather read a well thought out bullseye post than another " what is the best air pistol" or "what are the best pellets for my gun" or " I just bought a FILL IN THE BLANK, what do you think about it" and my favorite "what guns are the top shooters using".
Ernie Rodriguez

B'eye Subjects

Larry-If you go to search and put in Red dot or Optical sights you would see just how many members ask questions about these products.I know very little about optical devices and thanks to our shooting members in these types of forums,I can learn and maybe go back into some different types of shooting.I know being a moderator is a hard job-but to imply that they have to constantly police members post is insulting to the shooting members and certainly patronizing to the moderator.That is really a waste of bandwidth.I do belong to a free pistol forum,and use ISSF type pistols as well as B'eye pistols,and am grateful to all members who have shared their knowledge and experience with me-as I try to do with them.We don't need petty squabbling in our mist.Ernie
funtoz

Post by funtoz »

Richard H wrote:Well using the logic of just Olympic shooting being talked about on this site I guess 3-P air should also be taboo, not in the Olympics and not even an ISSF event, Center fire is also not in the Olympics so I guess that goes too.

It boggles my mind that the shooting sports don't have enough enemies that people from within have to nit pick and put up walls.

If you don't like a post don't read it. Personally I'd rather read a well thought out bullseye post than another " what is the best air pistol" or "what are the best pellets for my gun" or " I just bought a FILL IN THE BLANK, what do you think about it" and my favorite "what guns are the top shooters using".
Have you read the FAQ? 3-P is covered by name.

If I remember right, TargetTalk started out as an air gun forum. Scott took it over as a text board and expanded it to promote all of the Olympic sports (did I get that right Scott? It's been a while!). Now that we have our fancy graphic interface and individual forums, maybe he should reword the intro statement (which forms our charter). His feelings are pretty clear as to what he wants to do with his board. Unfortunately, only those of us reading this thread know what that is.

Larry
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Larry why don't you try reading.

My response was to this post.

I'm of a mixed mind on this. I would rather it be pure Olympic disciplines, but I recognize that a lot of people compete in both, and we do sell stuff for both... so a little bit here and there is OK. And some things like Pardini or Hammerli questions, sometimes there is a greater source of knowledge here because of other similar guns than there would be on a more pure BE forum. For the most part, I don't see enough BE only posts to get worried about. It would be nice however, if the BE posts were posted in the Pistol section where they more appropiately belong. I have pulled some posts tha were asking plinking type questions, which were a little far afield , while e-mailing the poster and trying to point them in the right direction.
Last I looked 3P Air, 4-H, Center fire, 300 m weren't Olympic events.
Bob LeDoux

Followup

Post by Bob LeDoux »

Thanks for the comments.

I think its appropriate for a Pardini 45 owner to address this site to get feedback from other Pardini international-type pistol owners regarding pistol performance and characteristics that are particular to Pardini designs.

I don't feel red dot items are appropriate.

As long as we don't lose the essential flavor of the site, it being international in scope, an occasional bullseye question doesn't bother me.
Nicole Hamilton

Re: Followup

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

Bob LeDoux wrote:I don't feel red dot items are appropriate.
Okay. Explain this.

Ernie Rodriguez

Red Dot and LP-10

Ironic-that is exactly where I got the idea.I have a Steyr and was thinking of just such a setup for my garage range. :-) Ernie
Last edited by Ernie Rodriguez on Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

Nicole,

In the lawyer business we would call that, "The Smoking Gun"

F. Paul in Denver