Air Gun Range Specifications

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Does anyone have a set of air gun range specifications in order to shoot in an auditorium or gym? Our junior club has been looking for an indoor facility. I have found one but I have been asked for detailed description of what we require. Since it is run by a government agency, I have been told detail is very important. I have seen pictures of collegate matches in auditoriums. What is used for the wall behind the target holders?

Thanks.

Robbie
badfbob

Post by badfbob »

Take a look at NRA publication "NRA Neighborhood Air Gun Progarm". This booklet has some good information on starting a junior program with a chapter devoted to constructing an air gun range. They cover some basics on building pellet traps, too.

Hope this helps!

Bobby
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Here is a pic from a slide used in the new JROTC Marksmanship Instructors Course (JMIC).

NRA/CMP is looking at modifying this course for other than JROTC. In the meantime, check with some of the JROTC instructors at high schools near you to see if a course in your area is available. I'm NOT a JROTC instructor, but I was able to attend. A very good all around class on range setup and safety.

You might also want to contact Gary Anderson at CMP, and see if he will send you a copy of the powerpoint slides used in the course.

The main thing here is to control any the access points forward of the firing line. In some gyms there may be doors to either the outside or other parts of the building. You obviously want to keep people from wandering in (or peeking in) while firing is in progress. You may have to go with signage and safety barriers/ropes as you will not be able to lock and block those doors if they are designated as emergency exits.

The physical properties and layouts are pretty easy to get from the slide. Your procedures in running the range(s) are going to be slightly different from range to range and are the items that need the majority of the thought.

Find out who does the range inspections for JROTC in your area, and ask them to come in and help you out. They will probably be more than willing, especially if there is a chance that they can hold larger matches there as well.
Attachments
Range_Layout.jpg
Last edited by jhmartin on Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Another Pic of an Aux Gym we used for a Bob Foth Pairs Clinic
Attachments
Clinic.jpg
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Thank you all for your replies.

Robbie