timing to shoot

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
shradhapn

timing to shoot

Post by shradhapn »

hi friends
can you tell me what is general timing to shoot a single shot in pistol shooting.will you divide it stages.if yes.then how.
shradha
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Shradha,
I think you need to be a little bit more specific. What event are you asking about - in general the event duration will dictate the individual timings. It's also more important to get the shot process right rather than take n secs for a shot.

Rob.
Ed Hall

A Suggested Training Approach for Learning Trigger Operation

Post by Ed Hall »

I'm also not sure what you're asking, but will give my detailed opinion as to how to determine your trigger operation. A bonus is that this can be done at home.

Let's see what kind of discussion this will bring:

The numbers below are so I can refer back and forth, but as you complete each numbered step, you might want to take a short break before moving on. If you do take a break, perform a few dry fire operations of the previous step before you move into the new one.

(1) First, make sure whatever gun you're working with is totally unloaded and there is no ammunition around. Set it up for dry fire training. Also ensure you're in a safe area to point the gun around ("all guns are always loaded") and bring a chair to the area. Sit in the chair and position yourself comfortably with the gun pointed in a safe direction. Check again that it is unloaded and ready to dry fire. While keeping it pointed in a safe direction, dry fire it several times without looking at the gun. Do look into the direction it's pointed, to remain safe. Get the feel of what it takes to fire the gun. Reset and dry fire it this way until you reach a consistent feel. Vary the timing somewhat and look for a comfortable trigger operation that proceeds from start to finish in one continuous uninterrupted motion. Then settle on a time for completion based on how it feels. Practice that operation and study all the details you can think of about it. Especially note how long it takes to complete. Make the operation consistent.

(2) Now, still seated, start watching the gun as you perform the identical trigger operation. Look at it from above the sights instead of through the sights. Check how steady it is. If it sways as you operate the trigger, try changing the trigger finger placement a bit to settle it, but keep the same trigger operation as before. Again, study the feel and the timing and try to make this operation identical to (1) above. Move back and forth between (1) and (2) until they match.

Note: It is very common to slow the trigger process as you start looking at the gun due to judgment of what is happening. Suppress this impulse. Too slow a trigger operation will allow you to cover up any misapplication of the trigger, and is often the result of a start/stop movement, rather than a continuous operation.

(3) Once you've matched the feel and timing between the two above steps, you can move to sight alignment. Note that sight alignment means aligning them with each other as viewed from your shooting eye. It does not involve a distant aiming point; just the sights and your eye. While still seated and while still pointing the gun in a safe direction, extend your arm such that you can see the sights in alignment. For this, you can rest your arm against the chair or your leg, but do this comfortably and have the rest point well above your wrist. Now perform the same trigger operation as you came up with for (1) and (2) above while observing the sights.

Note: Observation of the sights means simply observing what they do when you operate the trigger. Don't allow your observation to direct your trigger. If your sights don't stay aligned, work with your grip and trigger finger placement to minimize the sway. Keep the same trigger operation as in (1) and (2) above.

(4) After you match the feel and timing for all three above, move to working with your normal stance, still without the distraction of an aiming point. Perform the same operation as in (3), and again, work toward an identical trigger operation as you had back in (1) and throughout.

(5) Now you can add the aiming point. This will be the most difficult time to try to get the same trigger because you will start judging the hold. Resist the impulse to wait for perfection to operate the trigger. Learn how to operate it the same as in the steps above with the same feel and timing and let your subconscious take care of your hold and coordination of the shot break. Once you're comfortable with the above, you can head to the range and do some live firing.

Additional thoughts (opinion): If you train with the above method and can learn a consistent trigger operation, that your subconscious can rely on to alway take the same length of time to complete, your subconscious can take care of all the details of making the shot hit center, including when to start the trigger. As soon as you vary the operation of the trigger, your subconscious has invalid data for its calculations.

Flame suit ready - pour it on guys...

Take Care,
Ed Hall
http://www.airforceshooting.org/
http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/
http://www.geocities.com/ed_ka2fwj/
shradha

about ar pistol

Post by shradha »

hi to both of you.
thanks for your reply.i have asked about air pistol timing.i am having morini
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Shradha:

It appears as though there is an alternate interpretation of your question; and since you have not clarified it, I will answer the question I thought you asked!

You will, of course, have a well-developed consistent shot process for the execution of each shot attempt. This will result in either a shot or an abort. Your shot process will take x amount of seconds depending upon what you have developed. FWIW, mine takes around 17-20 seconds. Last time I checked.

However, i understood your question to be that of MATCH TEMPO; in other words, how many shot attempts to do take between breaks etc.

In that case, here's what I do: If I am executing the shot process correctly, I keep going. If I am not executing the shot process correctly, I stop, rest, and reset.

If I get my settle and "tone" with an empty mind and release the shot subconsciously, or abort quickly if the settle is awkward, then I continue regardless of shot value. If my process is interrupted by conscious thought/distraction twice in a row . . . stop. If I fail to abort when I should have, twice in a row . . . stop. If my natural point of aim upon opening my eyes pre-settle is off, and cannot be corrected (off twice in a row) . . . stop. I am looking for consistency of process.

Fatigue will show up first in the mind. Wandering intensity of focus is a sign to stop.

Your Mileage May Vary. I used to go 13-15 shots between breaks; now it seems to fall around 20 shots between breaks. In a 20 shot series, I may abort 4-5 times.

Steve Swartz
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

If I can comment as Steve just has from my perspective - Just so you can put things in perspective I shoot AP in about the 555 region, Steve is 570-580+ (I think).

My timings are similar to Steve's perhaps between 15-18 secs ? It is however the last part of the process which is more important. For me I will be on aim on average 2-4 secs, and for me the shorter the better - within reason.

I tend to abort much less than Steve probably only aborting 1 in 10 shots at most. I know that I shoot more bad shots than I should and sometimes over hold - but it's a hard habit to break <g>.

I tend to break 3 or 4 times during a match. Typically every 20 -25 shots but it will vary on how the shots are going. Unlike Steve if I feel I am in control, mentally after a poor shot, or two in a row then I will continue. If however I feel tired or cannot remain calm then I will sit down.

Remember the important thing is to practice. Practice your matches and get into a rythm when training that you can (and will) repeat in the match. You have 1hr 45mins so use it as you need. You get no points for finishing within the first hour and if you took a break or two mid match then you will almost certainly have benefitted score wise.

Rob.