I went to the local 4-h center.

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

James

I went to the local 4-h center.

Post by James »

They do strictly shooting. No horse breeding etc.

Nice setup, 20 lanes and quite a few for precision setup.

They have about 15 xs-40's, a whole bunch of 7/853's and a several fwb match rifles. And about 5-8 anschutz .22's and some other more expensive match .22s.

We were shooting the daisy match pellets, and there are some domed and pointed ones in the same pack.

One was almost 1/3rd domed. Terrible. They look like gamo match pellets.

Re: I went to the local 4-h center.

Post by Guest »

Hi James

Consider yourself fortunate that you have such a nice place with good equipment available to use. Make the best of it!
James wrote:They do strictly shooting. No horse breeding etc.

They have about 15 xs-40's, a whole bunch of 7/853's and a several fwb match rifles. And about 5-8 anschutz .22's and some other more expensive match .22s.

We were shooting the daisy match pellets, and there are some domed and pointed ones in the same pack.

Jay V

Re: I went to the local 4-h center.

Post by Jay V »

James wrote:They do strictly shooting. No horse breeding etc.

You hit the jackpot! - It doesn't get any better than that.

Keeping the program in decent training pellets can be a minor problem for the program coordinator. Just bring your own match pellets (Vogel, JSB, RWS, H&N) when you go to shoot.

Give them this info the next time you go to shoot -

Crosman 6177 pellets, $15.60 delivered for 3000, direct from Crosman at (800) 724-7486 - Beth at ext 3101.

These are decent pellets for daily training, but use match pellets for competition.

Best of luck - now it's up to you!

Jay V
IL
www.aiac-airguns.org
James

Post by James »

Yeah, I'm glad there happened to be a large 4h club in town. Its a bit far away though 20 something miles.

I really like the xs-40, had I shot it before buying an airgun, I wouldn't have bothered with spring powered guns.

I've even got a gun set up to fit me.

I'm surprised there is no fee. Just come and shoot. There is a non mandatory 10 dollar a quarter fee. All competitions we want to go to are paid.
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

James wrote:Yeah, I'm glad there happened to be a large 4h club in town. Its a bit far away though 20 something miles.

I really like the xs-40, had I shot it before buying an airgun, I wouldn't have bothered with spring powered guns.

I've even got a gun set up to fit me.

I'm surprised there is no fee. Just come and shoot. There is a non mandatory 10 dollar a quarter fee. All competitions we want to go to are paid.
You are really lucky - I guess it did get better.

20 miles is close - and no fees! We travel 100 miles to shoot most major competitions, which usually cost the competitor about $20 with travel and entry fees.

The Valiant does cost about 5-times as much as a new pump gun. For the money (1/2 of a Valiant) an 888 is still the way to go, especially if it's your money.

Hats off to your 4H program! There should be more out there like it.

Jay V
IL
chickm1

Post by chickm1 »

That's nice that you have a place. The 4H people here have never even been to one of our practices in 9 years. They don't have aclue as to what we do, and don't really care. The secretaries are nice there and help as needed, but the agents have been a joke. State level at A&M is not much better. In fact, they removed shooting sports from the 4H state finals. All this in Texas. They seem to be doing more things to make it harder for people to participate, than to make it more convienant to participate. It's a sad world here.