IZH CM2 Youth Rifle

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

cqbarms

IZH CM2 Youth Rifle

Post by cqbarms »

We just bought about 12 of these at our club (specifically the Youth model) and I must say they are VERY good rifles for the money.

In the US EAA corp used to import all the IZH products, now Remington has taken over so the future of this rifle in the US may not be assured but it's worth a look if you live elsewhere.

Gun:
It's a single shot match rifle that seems to have been partially based on Biathlon in that a LOT of the parts interchange. It's standard IZH quality of fit and finish, nothing pretty but it really works well. Out of the box it wasn't nearly as smooth as some of my other match rifles but then again it was 1/5th the price.

The gun came with a nice bit of extras:
First off very useable and well functioning match sites with 4 spare rear diaopters in different diameters, globe inserts for the front sight, wide sling attach point/hand stop, accessory rail, adjustable buttplate with two spacers, a leather sling, full cleaning kit with a fiberglass cleaning rod, travel case, and USA shooting emblem (US only).

The guns weigh in with sights at just under 8lbs. This is perfect as they meet our needs for NRA Light Rifle and ISSF 3 and 4 position shooting.
Interestingly the pull length of the youth rifles is adjustable with spacers from about 11 inches to 13.5 which is nearly the same as a full sized adult rifle and the same length of pull for many of our "adult" sporter rifles.
The barrel on the youth rifle comes in at 20 inches and is very much the biathlon barrel with the odd crown.

In looking at the instructions it seems there is a 5 shot adapter available for the rifle, by replacing the trigger guard..and again it looks like they reused the Biathlon internals for that.
The trigger is a two stage adjustable trigger, it was set at 2 lbs from the factory, it had a lot of take up on the fist stage and then broke cleanly with some over travel. If the gun was going to be mine I would adjust some of that out be it was good enough for testing and had some serious potential.
It also looked like the trigger blade is adjustable for reach and cant and might be fully replaceable.

Accuracy:
We purchased these rifles for our youth shooting team as a light and 3 and 4 position gun. In testing off of the bench at 50 feet the gun was able to hold to just under .27 of an inch with very little effort and using standard ammunition. I suspect that these guns are highly accurate in the right hands are are near "world class" worthy.
X Man

Post by X Man »

2 of the kids in my program have bought this rifle. I asked my son to shoot it in prone after one young lady had all she could stand. My son is 18, and shoots very well. With the Federal Lightning, it would only shoot about a 3/8 inch group with 5 shots, but with the Wolf ammo he uses in his 1907, he put 5 bullet through one hole. It was amazing. This rifle is made in Russia, and some of it is difinitely made utilitarian. The wood is beautiful though. Overall, I would buy this gun before I bought the 1451 and paid twice the price.