Air Rifle Silhouette & Scopes

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Air Rifle Silhouette & Scopes

Post by Guest »

Background: Have Avanti 888's, Bushnell 3x9 Air rifle scope for 4-H AR Silhouette

Issue: Using the supplied scope rings I've zero'd one of our 888's w/ above scope at 20yds (chickens) and then cannot get enough elevation to zero the Rams at 45 yards. (I get a 7-3/4" drop at 45 yds with the 888's)
I top the scope's elevation adjustment out at about 4".

I'm looking at shimming the scope ring by placing shims under the scope in the rear ring. I know this will begin to place a bit of stress on the tube, but other than having custom rings made I don't know of another solution.

Has anyone tackled this issue before?
(I'd like not to tell the kids to hold over 4")

Thx,
Joel Martin
Valencia County, NM
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Sorry about the guest post... I thought I'd logged in......
RobH

Re: Scope Shims

Post by RobH »

I had the same problem with my Anshutz 64MSR for smallbore silhouettes. I shimmed the rear of the scope using 4 pieces of old 35mm film negatives. Just cut the negative into strips as wide as the scope rings and you should have no problems.
HTH
Rob
Cliff Wing

Re:Air Rifle Silhouette & Scopes

Post by Cliff Wing »

Try for zero on on pigs or turkeys. Might give you enough elevation up for Rams and down for Chicks.

Cliff
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

I think RWS makes a base that offsets vertically. It's primarily designed for break barrel guns to offset barrel droop, but it might work for you.
Charles

Re: Air Rifle Silhouette & Scopes

Post by Charles »

Anonymous wrote:Background: Have Avanti 888's, Bushnell 3x9 Air rifle scope for 4-H AR Silhouette

Issue: Using the supplied scope rings I've zero'd one of our 888's w/ above scope at 20yds (chickens) and then cannot get enough elevation to zero the Rams at 45 yards. (I get a 7-3/4" drop at 45 yds with the 888's)
I top the scope's elevation adjustment out at about 4".

I'm looking at shimming the scope ring by placing shims under the scope in the rear ring. I know this will begin to place a bit of stress on the tube, but other than having custom rings made I don't know of another solution.

Has anyone tackled this issue before?
(I'd like not to tell the kids to hold over 4")

Thx,
Joel Martin
Valencia County, NM
I am not familiar with the Daisy supplied scope rings, but in general I do not like shimming scope rings due to the possibility of bending your scope tube.

In the past I have sent my rings off to Tim at MAC-1 and using a ball endmill he cuts a taper in on the inside of both scope rings to give you the desired correction. His web site is www.mac1airgun.com

I hear a lot of grumbling about the stability of the RWS adjustable mounts, but usually that is from the owners of spring air rifles.

Charles

Re: Air Rifle Silhouette & Scopes

Post by Guest »

Charles wrote:
I am not familiar with the Daisy supplied scope rings, but in general I do not like shimming scope rings due to the possibility of bending your scope tube.

In the past I have sent my rings off to Tim at MAC-1 and using a ball endmill he cuts a taper in on the inside of both scope rings to give you the desired correction. His web site is www.mac1airgun.com

I hear a lot of grumbling about the stability of the RWS adjustable mounts, but usually that is from the owners of spring air rifles.

Charles
Here is a direct link to the section on MAC-1 Droopers. Here will machine your scope rings for $20 with the desired droop correction.

http://www.mac1airgun.com/droopers.html

Charles
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Well, I put shims in, and did not like how the scope preformed ...

When I cranked the elevation I go a lot of windage, so I think I was stressing the tube .... took the shims out

We have 888's and I now have the kids sight the scopes in at 36 yds to zero.

They hold:

1-1/4" low for chickens at 20 yds (a bit less than a 2x4)
1" low for pigs
smack on for turkeys
and 1 ram high for rams (about a 2-3/4" drop)

So far they seem to be able to handle that better than trying to get them to run the adjustments on their scopes.

Turns out the 10m and 20yd POI's are nearly identical, so they can easily zero in with a 10m backstop.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

You might want to try some of Burris' Posiline rings. they have inserts that can be changed to "shim" the scope without torquing it.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

I think that they're actually called Burris Signature rings. The inserts come in various offsets. I have them on a CZ 452 .22 LR. They're really pretty good.

Mike