Newbie shooting question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gwhite

Re: Newbie shooting question

Post by Gwhite »

Blinking as you come down into your hold is fine, as long as it's an intentional part of your shot process. Aborting a shot during Finals is a bit tricky, because you don't have the time flexibility you do in a full match. I haven't watched any recently, but I believe I've seen it done.
nmondal

Finally checked the eyes

Post by nmondal »

Today, I went for an eye check.
And yes, the powers are fluctuating.
I developer + power now, 1.25 in each eyes, and -ve power also increased in the right.
All in all, what it means I need a progressive lens to focus my eyes in the target.
Sorry for being absent for much time - lot of crazy things are happening right now.
10 M Air pistol : Walther LP 500 Basic | Earlier Hammerli AP 20 Pro.
Newbie shooting questions : http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63530
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

Progressive lenses suck for shooting. Get a fixed focal length lens for your front sight and forget about the target.
Ramon
Rover

Post by Rover »

Ramon, why are you giving advice to a guy who just got 16 pages of it and still doesn't "get it"?
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

Rover wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:20 am Ramon, why are you giving advice to a guy who just got 16 pages of it and still doesn't "get it"?
Compassion... Compassion.
Try..try.. try...
10 M Air pistol : Walther LP 500 Basic | Earlier Hammerli AP 20 Pro.
Newbie shooting questions : http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63530
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

"I also use an adjustable aperture on my glasses. This provides a bit more control when my eyes get tired towards the end of a match. I'm 70, and I need all the help I can get..."
[/quote]

Could you explain this a bit more please: what happens as your eyes tire and do you open or close the iris in response?

I"ll add that I am going through this whole thread to copy and paste every Gwhite post so I can print it out and reread it EVERY TIME before I head to the range. Thank you so much, again.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

This is all VERY individual, and what works for me may not do a thing for you. Even at the same age, eyesight varies wildly from one individual to the next, and what I consider the optimum sight picture may not work for you.

What happens in an air pistol match is that my ability to focus on the front sight deteriorates. Basically, my eye's relaxed focus moves out towards the target, and it's harder & harder to pull it in to the front sight. If I reduce the size of the iris, it increases my depth of field, and I can focus on my sights again. The down-side is that I can also see the target more clearly, and I have to concentrate all the harder not to let my focus drift away from the front sight.

I normally wear contact lenses to shoot, and because I have presbyopia, they are set up for "monovision", which means my right lens is set up for distance, and my left lens is set up for reading. While trying to get ready for a free pistol match this summer, I discovered my newest right contact lens prescription is apparently set up to focus further away than before. Shooting outdoors, the light is often bright enough that my pupil will contract, and I can see the target too well. I've had to go all the way up to +1.5D correction to get the sight picture I like best, and that was using the darkest filter lens I could buy to keep the target fuzzy.

I haven't tried air pistol recently, but I suspect some of my difficulty may be that I need more correction to compensate for the changes in my contact lens prescription.

Old age is not for wimps...
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

Age is a tougher opponent than target is ever going to be