Thoughts on Camp Perry - 2013

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

waxman

Post by waxman »

That settles it. I'm bringing a fan to my practice sessions from now on.
(And boots!)
Look out Perry 2014!
:)
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

I've about reached my self imposed limit on postings for any subject. My thoughts, as given before about the "conditions" at Perry (or anywhere for that matter). Good Shooting to all.

Cecil

The Master

After winning several archery contests, the young and rather boastful champion challenged a Zen master who was renowned for his skill as an archer.

The young man demonstrated remarkable technical proficiency when he hit a distant bull's eye on his first try, and then split that arrow with his second shot. "There," he said to the old man, "see if you can match that!"

Undisturbed, the master did not draw his bow, but rather motioned for the young archer to follow him up the mountain. Curious about the old fellow's intentions, the champion followed him high into the mountain until they reached a deep chasm spanned by a rather flimsy and shaky log.

Calmly stepping out onto the middle of the unsteady and certainly perilous bridge, the old master picked a far away tree as a target, drew his bow, and fired a clean, direct hit. "Now it is your turn," he said as he gracefully stepped back onto the safe ground.

Staring with terror into the seemingly bottomless and beckoning abyss, the young man could not force himself to step out onto the log, no less shoot at a target.

"You have much skill with your bow," the master said, sensing his challenger's predicament, "but you have little skill with the mind that lets loose the shot."
Orpanaut

Post by Orpanaut »

waxman wrote:As far as "duckboards" or pallets in the mud- not allowed by NRA rules.
Is this a reference to rules 5.1 and 5.2 and the prohibition on "artificial support"?

That's a good point, but note how rule 5.1 defines the "ground":

"All references to "the ground" in the following position rules are to be constructed as
applying to surface of the firing point floor."

So if the NRA were to supply duckboards for every firing point, they could define the top of the boards as the "firing point floor" and all would be well.
waxman

Post by waxman »

I doubt if there was a few hundred pallets in the budget.
However, what is odd is that the rules are intended to equalize the playing field, but some had solid ground, and some stood in mudholes.
Where's the equality in that?
Not bitching mind you, I was allowed to relocate. Just would be nice if all had an equal footing.
dronning

Post by dronning »

I stood in a mud hole but I didn't feel it was a disadvantage at all. Even though I was ankle deep in mud once I was in position my feet were "sucked" into place and it was actually difficult to move. When the wind picked up the mud actually helped anchor me.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

dronning wrote:I stood in a mud hole but I didn't feel it was a disadvantage at all. Even though I was ankle deep in mud once I was in position my feet were "sucked" into place and it was actually difficult to move. When the wind picked up the mud actually helped anchor me.
For some reason, the way the mud distributed itself on my firing point, my right foot always hurt on the long line. I could not find a position where my stance was actually comfortable.
ilionkid

Post by ilionkid »

While not a pistol shooter, after being there last week, I can't help but wonder what the international palma match rehearsal in 2014 will be like if conditions are like the pistol shooters had this year.

Mike
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

ilionkid wrote:While not a pistol shooter, after being there last week, I can't help but wonder what the international palma match rehearsal in 2014 will be like if conditions are like the pistol shooters had this year.

Mike
They will probably be lying on those nice dry berms the small bore shooters use, and shooting OVER the mud. :-).
The people in the pits though. Don't know how dry that would be.

Post by 641 »

Last edited by 641 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isabel1130

Re: NM

Post by Isabel1130 »

641 wrote:My boots still reek from the muck. This, even after wearing them at multiple qualification days, and training days since the matches.

I ran mine through the washing machine. They were still pretty stinky until they dried, but they are fine now. They are leather, but I didnt know what else to do.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Isabel:
Make sure you get some Lexol leather conditioner and rub it down a couple of times, washing them removes all of the protective oils in the leather.
Mink Oil works well also.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Okay. Even as bad as the weather was in July of 2013, I am still ready to go back,...
It was way better than this, the 4th worst winter in Ohio, on record!
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

"It was way better than this, the 4th worst winter in Ohio, on record"

So far..... :-).

Maybe it will be a nice cool summer.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Isabel:
Careful for what you wish for,
I remember a summer a long time ago, during the high power phase,
It was so cold, wearing 2 sweats and my leather HP coat, I couldn't keep warm. No heat in the huts, went to town to buy another blanket.
They said the temp dropped into the 30's.
My teeth still chatter, thinking about it.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Trooperjake wrote:Isabel:
Careful for what you wish for,
I remember a summer a long time ago, during the high power phase,
It was so cold, wearing 2 sweats and my leather HP coat, I couldn't keep warm. No heat in the huts, went to town to buy another blanket.
They said the temp dropped into the 30's.
My teeth still chatter, thinking about it.
Electric blankets.......:-)

You wont catch me staying in the huts. Camped when I was in the army and got paid for it. No more.

I am used to big swings in temperature at matches. We often start in the high thirties out here in the west, and finish in the 60's.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

It was 30's during the day.......