HBWC in Australia - Where are they?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
dazza

HBWC in Australia - Where are they?

Post by dazza »

Can anybody advise of a good reliable source in Australia for 98gn HBWC .314 dia.? It seems that quality projctiles are becoming more scarce, a recent discussion with the Lapua distributor revealed that they will no longer be bringing them into Australia; other traditional sources seem to be diminishing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
JamesH

HBWC

Post by JamesH »

Bullzi projectiles are great when they are good - quality is variable.
http://www.metrosystems.com.au/~bullzi/
I inspect every one for voids, incomplete skirts etc.

I am also looking for quality HBWC.
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Try Taipan projectiles made by Malcolm Bone

Taipan bullets have a reputation for excellent quality control (certainly better than Bullzi) and offer a swaged .32 HBWC in three different sizes.

Their website is at www.bulletmaker.com
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Having tried and experimented with both...go for the Taipan EVERY time.
Make sure you get the wax lubed, not the teflon coated.
top end

Post by top end »

I bought some bullzi 98 HBWC earlier this year, after being a taipan user for years. They were nominally .314. I wasn't overly impressed with the QC - most measured more than this. I put 500 through a .314 sizing die and they shot quite well. Older Bullzi projectiles I have used varied between .313 and .312 - some were tapered - but they still shot reasonably well (out of a rest - 40 -50mm group @ 25m). Taipans are much better in terms of quality, but I have heard that production has slowed up. In the end, the lack of reliabilty, consistency, and the cost of freight has forced me to make my own - 98 BNWC out of a Manurhin - from a rest - 30mm groups at 25m. You dont necisarily need HBWC for tack driving centrefire accuracy.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

I resize to 0.311 for a Toz.
Previously with a S+W I found BNWC gave much better results than HBWC.
Will try to get hold of some Tapans.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

PLEEEEEASE....if you are after accuracy, stay with the Taipan HBWC's
xtreme

Post by xtreme »

deadeyedick wrote:PLEEEEEASE....if you are after accuracy, stay with the Taipan HBWC's
Ditto
May all your shots be "10's"
dazza

Post by dazza »

Thanks for all of your replies, I certainly agree with all of your comments regarding Bullzi & Taipan, have used both and definitely prefer Taipan. However, the availability of Taipan appears to be questionable.
Tim_T

Post by Tim_T »

Look give Malcolm an email as he does not always answer the phone as he is now by himself.

My best results are from using the 90gr 312 out of a unique with 1.4 of VVN310.

Regards
Tim
dazza

Post by dazza »

Well since I started this thread in September 2008, it seems that the situations has now become critical; that is it seems to be damn near impossible to get quality 32 cal HBWC in Australia, well in Qld at least.

One manufacturer, despite numerous emails and personal visits to his premises, just doesn't seem to interested in producing the products anymore. The other manufacturer is producing the product, but the quality is unbelievably bad.

So now we are back to the original question, where do we get 32 Cal HBWC in Australia?

Thanks in advance.
JamesHu

Post by JamesHu »

PC Projectiles are producing BNWC which seem fine.

Post by 220 »

dazza wrote: So now we are back to the original question, where do we get 32 Cal HBWC in Australia?
Bullzi should be available give Hank a call and he should be able to supply what you want. He may even be able to size to your requirements. You will probably need to order a fair quantity to make it viable.
H&C Vanetten Ph 03 97834064
Fax 03 97696047
dazza

Post by dazza »

220 wrote:
Bullzi should be available give Hank a call and he should be able to supply what you want. He may even be able to size to your requirements.
Thanks for your reply 220, but we (the club) have been having a lot of problems with the quality of this brand. So this is the reason we are looking for another supplier. If you have had no problems then you are fortunate, but we can only speak based on our own experiences.
Nev C

BNWC

Post by Nev C »

HI Dazza, why not try BNWC, they work fine. Try Hawksbury River BNWC.
I used to get mine from Horsley Park. Hawksbury won't sell to you direct but they will tell you which dealers stock them.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

If they are for ISSF competitions, I believe they have to be HBWC's......if not for competitions, disregard advice.

For what its worth, I tried both Hawksbury river and Bullzi...and found them both abysmal in the accuracy/QC dept.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

deadeyedick wrote:If they are for ISSF competitions, I believe they have to be HBWC's......
That's incorrect I'm afraid.

Post by 220 »

dazza wrote:Thanks for your reply 220, but we (the club) have been having a lot of problems with the quality of this brand. So this is the reason we are looking for another supplier. If you have had no problems then you are fortunate, but we can only speak based on our own experiences.
Might be worth giving him a call and discussing the quality problems with him. I'm sure he would rather try to fix the problem than loose customers.
I've been using his 38cal 148HBWC and the only problem I've had has been excessive leading. Spencer sujested washing in white spirits and relubeing with alox. (thanks Spencer) This reduced the leading significantly, the problem seemed to be the large amount of swarf clinging to the projectile I guess washing and relubing with anything would have improved it. Accuracy hasn't changed and loaded on a Lee Pro 1000 they still shoot groups around 30mm.

Herron Security & Sport still list Hornady 90gr HBWC the price is very steep around $68.00/400RRP but I know they did offer bulk rate discounts.
Any gunshop that deals with Herron should be able to get them for you and give you a better idea of price.
Nev C

Not correct

Post by Nev C »

deadeyedick wrote:If they are for ISSF competitions, I believe they have to be HBWC's
I would be very interested in the ISSF rule regarding this!

Post by 220 »

The only references I can remember from the rules to ammunition is to do with no jacketed ammo and no magnum type ammo. I guess this leaves it open to any style of projectile as long as it isn't jacketed.