Help - my targets keep tearing (air pistol)

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Help - my targets keep tearing (air pistol)

Post by Guest »

Hello,

This is my first post, but I've been reading the forum off and on for a couple of years now.

Anyway, I have a problem with my airpistol targets tearing, and was wondering what the trick is for nice clean shot holes.

I use a Beeman target holder, and NRA 10 meter targets (on target paper). My pistol is an IZH-46 and I'm currently using Beeman H&N match pellets.

I have a piece of cardboard that sits in the slot which I tack the target to. I've tried tacking the target loosely, and very taught. I've tried a solid piece of cardboard, and one with the center cut out.

All the results are the same. I never get a clean wadcutter hole, it always tears.

What's the secret?
TomAmlie

More money

Post by TomAmlie »

The "secret" is spending the extra $ for higher quality targets. Edelmann and Kruger make good targets, and some people like the Cibles targets from Canada. I hate to say it, but the paper used by US manufacturers (e.g., National Target) just isn't suitable.

I'll bet that most US air pistol shooters have a stack of US-made targets in their basement or attic that they just gave up on. I ended up using mine for free pistol at 50 feet.

If you search the archives you'll find some stop-gap measures to try to improve your US-made targets, but in the end it's probably less frustrating to just buy better targets.

Post by Guest »

As Tom said, using higher quality targets is the way to go. I flip my National brand target and shoot them in the blank side.
jimsoars

Post by jimsoars »

I posted the exact topic a few months ago. SInce then I was able to get some targets to check from Nikkonos Olympic Marksman equipment on ebay. I tried both the match quality and the practice quality. I have to say the practice quality targets are great and affordable. I have a bunch of National Target Co targets that I probably won't use they are so bad. I get at least 20 shots to a target before they are unreadable. Of course maybe that's because I suck and rarely get 2 shots close to each other... :)

Give these a shot (pun intended) http://cgi.ebay.com/10-meter-Air-Pistol ... dZViewItem

Jim
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

To use the targets you have, tape it to a piece of cardboard.
The target is punched cleaner when it is well supported by the cardboard target backer. Like cutting meat on a cutting board.

But, you have to watch the cardboard. When you shoot too many shots in one spot, the cardboard will have a big hole, which will leave the target unsupported at that spot. At that point, w/o the support of the backer, the target will TEAR.
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

Another technique is to paint the bullseye area with clear lacquer. Once dry, you will punch better holes. As others have noted, the best targets are Edelmann and Kruger. I also had problems with National and Cibil's (sp?) just like yours even with a more-powerful pistol.

Best,

Joe
Joe58

Post by Joe58 »

I've also had the exact same issue and I tried the ones off ebay as mentioned by the other poster and had the same tearing issue, that and they took a month to get to me. I tried the masking tape on the back tip too with the same tearing.

But I shoot a FWB 65 and and IZH 46M which perhaps aren't as strong as your pistol.

I have very good results with the Braun 10m pistol targets that Neal Stepp has at $10 per hundred. They are also ISSF approved. Cuts nice holes.

Very nice man to deal with as well with very fast shipping. I get my pellets from him as well.

http://www.iss-internationalshootersservice.com/

Joe
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

The simplist solution to the problem is IMHO is to purchase Edelmann targets fron our host, They hold up to very tight groups and will give you the results you are looking for, Good Shooting Bill Horton
R.E. Smalley

target backers

Post by R.E. Smalley »

My pellet trap is filled with plumbers putty. The targets stick to it and punch clean for a 10 shot string.

Maybe they won't work as well when I start shooting good groups, but I will prolly have to buy targets by then, and I'll buy the better ones.

Before I made this pellet trap I used glue stick and poster board (like cereal box or shoe box paper) or cardboard as a backer. It works very well for me.

RES
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

viewtopic.php?t=18104

The other post mentioned above...

Does anyone but National Target offer a 4-bull AP target? I don't really care to get out of position, walk down range, swap targets, come back, get back into position and back into the proper mental state every few shots if I can help it. It does nothing to help my training or practice as it's not something I've encountered in a match scenario.

Shooting the above 4-bull targets backed with plain ole painters tape provides the same quality 10-shot hole as an Edelmann target (with my IZH46m and LP10).
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Brian M wrote:viewtopic.php?t=18104

The other post mentioned above...

Does anyone but National Target offer a 4-bull AP target? I don't really care to get out of position, walk down range, swap targets, come back, get back into position and back into the proper mental state every few shots if I can help it. It does nothing to help my training or practice as it's not something I've encountered in a match scenario.
I really don't see any problems and you will never shoot 4 or 5-bull AP cards in a competition. Plus the moving you're not in favour of suggests you're not adjusting your position between bulls - so your NPA be off, when you switch from 1 bull to the next.

I shoot up to 10 shots on a card with no problems, unless I'm really shooting for accurate scores (which is rare). You will be able to spot the shot holes with a spotting scope or binoculars.

As a direct answer to your question though, I think Kruger may do 4 or 5-bull AP targets.

Rob.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

RobStubbs wrote:As a direct answer to your question though, I think Kruger may do 4 or 5-bull AP targets.
Krüger offer a strip of 5 bulls tightly side-by-side, if that would help you. They also offer normal full-size air pistol targets as a continuous zig-zag strip of 250 targets.

Personally, I see hardly any quality difference between Rika (who produce the Edelmann brand), Krüger and Braun. The two latter ones are now also formally ISSF approved, beginning 01.01.2009.

Alexander
Bruce Martindale

Post by Bruce Martindale »

target paper is an issue but you also see this problem with low velocity.

Re the IZH, there may not be much adjustment but I think the compression can be increased. I dont recall design velo but these days, if it is in the 360 fps range, its slow.

For a lot of reasons, you need closer to 500; namely barrel flip or trigger induced motions. You may train well on "slow boats" but you dont want to compete there.

If you get diifferent velocity when you let it sit 60 seconds vs shooting after pumping, your seals may be leaking as well.

I used to load the pellet, get all set up for my shot and then pump it. If I aborted the shot, I repumped it.

best regards
Matt

Re: Help - my targets keep tearing (air pistol)

Post by Matt »

Anonymous wrote:Hello,

This is my first post, but I've been reading the forum off and on for a couple of years now.

Anyway, I have a problem with my airpistol targets tearing, and was wondering what the trick is for nice clean shot holes.

I use a Beeman target holder, and NRA 10 meter targets (on target paper). My pistol is an IZH-46 and I'm currently using Beeman H&N match pellets.

I have a piece of cardboard that sits in the slot which I tack the target to. I've tried tacking the target loosely, and very taught. I've tried a solid piece of cardboard, and one with the center cut out.

All the results are the same. I never get a clean wadcutter hole, it always tears.

What's the secret?
I use Cibles Targets (the less expensive variety) exclusively and I get clean holes. How do I do it? I use a small cardboard cutout that covers the black area (approximately) with a length of masking tape. I stick the ends of the masking tape together to form a 'doughnut' whereby I can stick the masking tape to the piece of cardboard and then the cardboard to the target. It only takes me a few seconds to accomplish this and I save boo coo bux too! And the targets perform just as well as the expensive Edelmann's. Cardboard can be had for free and the masking tape is a buck a roll - lasts for a couple of thousand targets.

Try it and I am sure that you will like the results.

Matt