Doping in target shooting

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

When I started shooting International in earnest, i had to give up the Beta Blockers (Doctor said "Why, Why, you are killing yourself") in favor of approved combination of drugs (calcium channel blocker/ase inhibitors).

The legal drug combo 1) doesn't work nearly as well as Beta Blockers; 2) have some pretty pesky side effects (and the Beta Blockers actually have good side effects!).

I noticed a HUGE difference in shooting performance after i discontinued Beta Blockers.

Not only did my max wobble area increase noticeably; but even worse, the nature of the pattern itself changed significantly. I had to train very hard for several months to re-program my release. Eventually I did get my scores back up (BB: hi 56os; new meds: 550s; after 3 months back to hi 560s).

"Magic Beans?" I guess not. But they made a huge (10-15 points), albeit temporary and overcome with training, difference. I can't say what the persistent difference is/was/could be.

Also- anyone who says anabolic steroids "don't do much for shooters" either 1) has never taken any; or 2) got a bad batch (or maybe 3. is too young to appreciate the effect) . . . .

Taken properly, under medical supervision, the use of steroids is truly a "fountain of youth" for older males.

The first thing I will do after giving up serious competitive shooting is get my health and quality of life back!

"Better Living Through Chemistry" indeed!

Steve "Creaky Old Guy" Swartz
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Well I still stand beside my "magic bean" comment 3, 10 or 15 points thats still a long way from 50 to 60 points which I don't believe drugs on their own would give you. I'm not surprised that a change in drugs had an effect on you, all the points after 540 are really difficult and they are progressively more difficult as they go up, so small things make big differences.

Sending you a PM, have some questions?

Just noticed can't send you a PM, just have some questions regarding ace inhibitors
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Richard:

Give me a shout at leslieswartz@verizon.net
2650 Plus

win pills

Post by 2650 Plus »

James Clark {I believe he was the last civilian national champion ,a 2650 shooter and holder of several national records} was famous.? or infamous for using a group tightner behind the firing line at his favorite range in Schreveport Louisana. So much so that the range commands were changed to Is the line ready ? are you ready jimmy ? Ready on the right ect. He would on occasion get the perfect level of group tightner and dominate a 20 shot match, then he might miss the next relay. I do not believe in better shooting through chemistry.Consistant training in proper techniques beat these crutches every time Good Shooting Bill Horton
bryan

Post by bryan »

Hi steve, my doctor wanted me to take beta blockers a yr ago.

yes he didnt understand why I didnt want to take them aswell.
can you pm me what you are on, or is it worth posting?

The list of banned substances specific to shooting, has come about due to studies, or/and previous experience has shown it was an advantage, or dangerous.

I think beta blockers only help slightly, maybe 10 points? for somone in good control. for most this is no magic pill, as some of us can loose 10 points in 2-3 shots.
but if you are looking at a world record, it may be a magic pill.

Im not sure, but think testing was introduced around 1980 olympics.

someone will know exactly??

and what were the olympic and world records prior to testing?
Keep in mind the equipment used compared with today.

It may show there are still records that stand today?

imho

bryan
crosshairs

Post by crosshairs »

Question: Do anti-depressants help? Things like Prozac or Lexapro?
2650 Plus

Win Pills

Post by 2650 Plus »

Reference the above post , I suggest they not only don't help ,they are distructive to both range safety and the individuals score that has taken them. The depressing effect will delay reactions to range commands with the potential to endanger others on the range.Unless you have trained under the influence of the drugs your rythem of firing a shot will be disrupted and scores will inevetibly suffer. There is no such thing as a win pill. Good Shooting Bill Horton