Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Which Air Rifle

Post by Guest »

Hey all,

Just wanting to know which of the following air rifles you prefer and why

Anschutz 9003 Premium
Anschutz 8002
Feinwerkbau P700 Alu

I am working on purchasing a new air rifle and would like to get as many opinions as I can. I have shot all of the above including a Walther (which I didn't like). So I would like to narrow it down from that list.

Thanks
cmj

Post by cmj »

Might want to add the Steyr LG110 to the list. My daughter loves hers, and after all it seems to currently hold the world record. See the post
http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=14326. She had an Anschutz 2002 junior before the Steyr and much prefers the Steyr.
seemehaha

Post by seemehaha »

i would get a 2002 over a 9003 or 8002. i really regret selling my 2002 for the 9003 i have now. also, i'm not really a feinwerkbau fan so....
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

seemehaha wrote:i would get a 2002 over a 9003 or 8002. i really regret selling my 2002 for the 9003 i have now. also, i'm not really a feinwerkbau fan so....
Just curious why? What don't you like about the 9003 over the 2002?
BOOKER

Post by BOOKER »

I'll choose the Feinwerkbau, that coming from a FWB 700 UNIVERSAL owner.
There is something on the "star wars look" aluminum stocks that I don't like.
You can't go wrong with any of your choices.
seemehaha

Post by seemehaha »

i originally got the 9003 because my wood stock on my 2002 broke. i thought "hey go for the newest biggest baddest one if i have to shell out money." however, i have never gotten comfortable with the gun. i get annoyed cocking the damn thing and i'd much rather lift to cock then crank to the side. i absolutely HATE the feeling of the grip and cheek piece. it feels like sandpaper and my cheek doesn't want to stick. i tried athletic tape on my grip and eventually bought a wood 2002 grip and had it cut to allow for the trigger guard. it would be nice to have the trigger guard actually guard the trigger (which my grip is cocked to the side so there is minimal protection). i tried duct tape on my cheek piece and that was ok. i am now putting rubber cement over it to smooth it out. which once it dries all the way, it's not sticky anymore (and i don't like the stickyness) but it rubs off way too fast, so i have to reapply often. i've been thinking about using wood putty or something, but i haven't had time to go to a store and get some. i've had my gun for almost 2 years, and i'm a collegiate shooter, so i've done a lot of toying with it, but i haven't had a position as comfortable as what i had with my 2002.

i do like the way the weight system is set up. it's very easy to get the right amount of weight in the right location and balance. i also like how the palm rest can cant, and i like my red cylinder. that's all i like. just for the money, i feel that you're better off getting a 2002. i'm tempted to sell what i have new to get one, but it would take too much time that i don't have cause i'm shooting almost everyday and i need it.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

seemehaha wrote:i originally got the 9003 because my wood stock on my 2002 broke. i thought "hey go for the newest biggest baddest one if i have to shell out money." however, i have never gotten comfortable with the gun. i get annoyed cocking the damn thing and i'd much rather lift to cock then crank to the side. i absolutely HATE the feeling of the grip and cheek piece. it feels like sandpaper and my cheek doesn't want to stick. i tried athletic tape on my grip and eventually bought a wood 2002 grip and had it cut to allow for the trigger guard. it would be nice to have the trigger guard actually guard the trigger (which my grip is cocked to the side so there is minimal protection). i tried duct tape on my cheek piece and that was ok. i am now putting rubber cement over it to smooth it out. which once it dries all the way, it's not sticky anymore (and i don't like the stickyness) but it rubs off way too fast, so i have to reapply often. i've been thinking about using wood putty or something, but i haven't had time to go to a store and get some. i've had my gun for almost 2 years, and i'm a collegiate shooter, so i've done a lot of toying with it, but i haven't had a position as comfortable as what i had with my 2002.

i do like the way the weight system is set up. it's very easy to get the right amount of weight in the right location and balance. i also like how the palm rest can cant, and i like my red cylinder. that's all i like. just for the money, i feel that you're better off getting a 2002. i'm tempted to sell what i have new to get one, but it would take too much time that i don't have cause i'm shooting almost everyday and i need it.

An easier idea for the cheek piece is just get a retangular piece of wood approx. the size, sand it off, knock the sharp corners off and use the mounting hard wear from the stock cheek peice, you might like that better. I've noticed a lot of shooters going back to the wooden stocks and some have difficulty transitioning to the aluminum (and other material) stocks.

Thanks for the info. its more a ergonomics (fit and feel) function that you don't like as opposed to any technical problem with it. Good to know thanks again. What college do you shoot for?
seemehaha

Post by seemehaha »

i shoot for the university of akron. you can check us out here

i thought about doing that, but i don't have to tools or the time to do it myself. i was going to ask my coach if he could fix something up over christmas because i know he's fairly swamped as well.

Post by Guest »

I just wanted to suggest another potential rifle for the list. I bought a Walther lg300xt just under a year ago. It comes with sights and is cheaper than the 9003 or FWB (not sure about steyr lg110). I consistently shoot mid to high 560's standing and have cleaned multiple targets prone so i know it'll shoot tens.
Slowstdy

Post by Slowstdy »

I have to give a nod to the Walther LG300xt too, Fantastic gun, the best in my collection.
peepsight

Which air rifle

Post by peepsight »

Hi Guest

If you read the MEC publication Air rifle shooting by Heinz Reinkemeier, he suggests that air rifle selection at the dealer should be about how the grip feels, how the cheek piece feels and how the overall feel is plus how the loading procedure feels. A good dealer will (some do in Europe) let you try out several different rifles on the dealers in house test range.

As for wood versus aluminium. Yes there are a few world class shooters and lesser mortals such as myself who have gone back to wood.
The new Steyr LG20 is an all wood rifle but has one feature no other wood stocked rifle has. It has properly engineered facilities in the stock/butt to fit balance weights plus a trimmer bar weight system.
So here is a wood stocked rifle that incorperates some of the aluminium stocks features and it is much cheaper.

Check this out with Pilkguns before making your mind up.

Peepsight
TWP

Post by TWP »

We have several shooters with the Anschutz 9003 and recently 3 of our shooters have bought the 8002 from CMP.

I'm very impressed with the laminate stocked 8002's. I think right now they are the best air rifle for the money.

Another Walther advantage?

Post by Guest »

Just wanted to point out that the Walther has a vertical cocking lever tho i have had problems with it hitting the sights when my rear sight is positioned forward in prone
PedroS

Post by PedroS »

I have booth, Walther LG300 and Anshutz 9003.
Normally I prefer the 9003, but when things turn out bad, I pick my Walther, rebuild my confidence and switch to Anschutz.
So.....must I say....buy booth ??

Post by Guest »

i'll say p700 alu. for starters, you should evaluate a gun by the sucess of the shooters using the gun. unless you have realy trained seriously and thoroughly with a specific rifle, it might not be wise to make a switch to a rifle less commonly used by the top shooters.
cmj

Post by cmj »

Well now if you want to go by success, still hard to beat a Steyr. It is the current record holder, and my 12 year old daughter (she likes to be called pre teen) just shot 378/400 in the JORC qualifier, and still improving. J3 for a couple more years. Just could not resist
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

CMJ wrote:
my 12 year old daughter (she likes to be called pre teen) just shot 378/400 in the JORC qualifier, and still improving. J3 for a couple more years. Just could not resist
Tell that "pre-teen" AWESOME!!!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

cmj wrote:Well now if you want to go by success, still hard to beat a Steyr. It is the current record holder, and my 12 year old daughter (she likes to be called pre teen) just shot 378/400 in the JORC qualifier, and still improving. J3 for a couple more years. Just could not resist
It holds the World Record with Finals 599 plus the Final score, it still hasn't shot a perfect 600 yet but that is just spliting hairs. I like the new LG 110, its a very nice rifle.

It seems to be serving your daughter well, very nice shooting.