Anschutz Super Match 22 long Model 54 - which one?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Anne Donahue

Post by Anne Donahue »

Hello. My name is Anne and my husband and I do some hobby shooting. As a legacy, we received an Anschutz SuperMatch bolt-action single shot 22 long rifle with a anatomically contoured wood stock and various accessories. I know that it was used for Olympic and freestyle competition. It is a beautiful gun and we'd like to find out as much as we can about it. Unfortunately, nobody out here in the boonies nobody seems to know much about this quality of competition long guns. I researched online and found a lot of stuff about newer models, including Anschutz's online catalog, but this one, which does not have a height adjustable cheekrest, seems to predate what I was able to find. I was wondering if anyone on this forum knows enough about the older models to help me identify this gun and how old it is, or could direct me to someone else who might be able to help. The barrel/breech assembly is stamped with Anschutz's name/logo and the words Super Match 54, what looks like the number 62 following by a symbol and a serial number. I don't have a picture at this time, but I could get one if it would help.

Thanks much,
Anne
wrc

Post by wrc »

Sounds like a 1413 Free Rifle. That's a nice legacy! It might be well worth your time to go to NRA headquarters & see their museum - I've never been there, but would imagine that some Olympic rifles like this are on display. Or curator there could give you some info.
Also see if you can visit a rifle club that actually has members that compete in smallbore. Usually there are "old-timers" (like me :^) that could tell you more.
NRA is in Fairfax, Va. Also hosts a club, I think. Another club that comes to mind is Acorns (also in Va?).

Post by Guest »

Anne

Anschutz may not be able to help date older rifles.

Anschutz began production of the Match 54 in 1954. Early models had one ejector claw on the right of the bolt. The blued end-cap was flat. The foresight fitted onto a doevetailed collar.

Around about 1963-4 Anschutz made some minor changes, an extra extractor was fitted and the end-cap became convex.

Match 54s stayed this way until the mid '70s except for stock changes. Adjustable cheekpieces arrived on factory models around the early '70s.

The number 62 on the barrel is the year the barrel was proofed and presumably theyear the rifle was built, 1962. The other two marks are the West German eagle and an antler horn, the stamp of the Ulm proof house. From this proof date the serial number should be somewhere around 20,000. Anschutz marked the year of proofing in this way until the mid-'70s. At the same time as re-designing the bolt and trigger the year of proofing was changed to a letter code.

These were extremely sucessful in Olympic and International competition. The 1413 was at the time Anschutz' top of the line model.

The accesories are intended to help the shooter hold the rifle comfortably and steady. The hook at the butt developed from the heavily curved butts of 19th C german and Swiss target rifles; it acts as a counter-balance in the standing position, though it is also used prone and kneeling as well. If there is a wooden grip like arrangement this is a rest for the supporting hand in the standing position, again it has a 19th C origin.

Do you intend to use this rifle? If it has been well cared for it may still be very accurate and enjoyable to shoot.

Hope this helps

Tim Slater

Exeter, UK
TWP

Post by TWP »

Anne,

Tim hit it prett well for you.

Where in the MD boodndocks are you? There is a 4H club that shoots smallbore in Queen Anne County. And another club in Gaithersburg.

Also as mentioned the Acorns shoot at the NRA HQ range.

Let me know if you need more information on them
Anne Donahue

Post by Anne Donahue »

Thank you, gentlemen, for sharing your knowledge about this gun and various resources.

Tim, we are down near Waldorf, La Plata and Indian Head in southern Maryland. We would appreciate contact information for the Acorns and for the Gaithersburg club if you have them. I'm kind of fuzzy on where Queen Anne County is.

We'd welcome any more information anyone can provide about this gun and about small bore clubs in this area, and we will check with both Anschutz and the NRA as suggested.

The serial number on this gun is in mid 31000s. The previous owner reportedly made some amazing shots at amazing distances with it. It came with several trigger assemblies including an extremely sensitive 2-stage (push forward lever to set, then pull trigger to shoot) currently installed, a bi-pod for bench shooting, various sights and inserts and a beautiful 20 yard to 200 yard adjustable scope.

It also has a wood, half-moon shaped piece attached to the base of the pistol-grip contoured portion of the stock which appears to be a factory item that we don't know the purpose of or name for. Could it possibly be intended to help with leveling when bench shooting or maybe to help position and stabilize the trigger hand?

Thanks again.
Anne
Our prayers go out for all those impacted by Katrina. All but one of my New Orleans kinfolk have reported in safe and we're praying hard for his safety.

Post by Guest »

You're welcome, I think you want to ask the other responders about ranges in virginia. I live in Devon, in Britain so I'm not the best person to ask about US ranges.

The "half-moon" piece is a palm rest. It is part of the positional equipment; it is used as a ledge to rest the hand on, and ensure consistency in replacing the hand after loading. Anschutz still use these on their wooden stocked free rifles.

cheers

Tim S

Exeter UK

Post by Guest »

The bipod that is attached to the rifle is most likely was not used for shooting from the bench. Most smallbore shooters use a small bipod to keep their rifle in an upright position between stages in a match (particularly prone). They are intended to keep crud (sand, dirt, dust, water) from finding its way from your mat into the action, sights, and other parts of your rifle, along with reducing the risk of it getting stepped on.
Jose Rossy

Re: Anschutz Super Match 22 long Model 54 - which one?

Post by Jose Rossy »

Anne Donahue wrote:It came with several trigger assemblies including an extremely sensitive 2-stage (push forward lever to set, then pull trigger to shoot) currently installed, a bi-pod for bench shooting
The trigger you describe is a set trigger, not a two-stage trigger. The bipod is not for shooting from the bench. It is meant to support the rifle upright when not being used.
Anne Donahue

Post by Anne Donahue »

Thanks again, gentlemen. I'm quite greatful to be receiving such an education. After I sent my last inquiry, I went back through the old messages again and also learned that this has the freestyle, thumbhole wooden stock rather than the thumb cutaway prone stock.

The stock is sized for a person with fairly small stature, so I would love to try this one out myself. I'm not sure my shoulders are up to the task: I have really bad bursitis. I've done OK with my German Browning Hi-Power 9mm, although I've had to cut way back on that because of the shoulder problem. All my long gun experience as an adult has been with stocks that are too long for me (my husband is 6 feet tall) which was real discouraging.

My dad taught all of us kids basic gun safety and plinking with a little 22 bolt action single shot rifle -- no idea who the maker was: he got the antigun bug and gave all his guns away when I was in my 20s. He also talked me into trying out my grandaddy's over/under 12 guage which, as I recall, knocked me right on my attitude. (I was only 10 years old and probably weighed less than the gun did! -- thinking about it in retrospect that doesn't seem to have been too prudent.)

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge, and I apologize for not keeping the names straight.

Anne Donahue
Southern Maryland, USA

Post by Guest »

If you do want to shoot this rifle, but are worried about physical pains, try shooting it from a bench, or rested prone.

Most prone and positional shooters today wear special heavy canvas and leather clothing to provide support and to prevent injury.

Free rifle stocks can seem short in the butt compared to a prone-only rifle; this is to allow a comfortable hold when standing; where a shorter butt is normally used. Free rifle rules allow the stock to be altered during a match, so the butt can extended for prone. The near-vertical angle of the grip also allows a shorter butt length.

Tim Slater

Exeter UK
TWP

Post by TWP »

Anne Donahue wrote:Thank you, gentlemen, for sharing your knowledge about this gun and various resources.

Tim, we are down near Waldorf, La Plata and Indian Head in southern Maryland. We would appreciate contact information for the Acorns and for the Gaithersburg club if you have them. I'm kind of fuzzy on where Queen Anne County is.

We'd welcome any more information anyone can provide about this gun and about small bore clubs in this area, and we will check with both Anschutz and the NRA as suggested.

The serial number on this gun is in mid 31000s. The previous owner reportedly made some amazing shots at amazing distances with it. It came with several trigger assemblies including an extremely sensitive 2-stage (push forward lever to set, then pull trigger to shoot) currently installed, a bi-pod for bench shooting, various sights and inserts and a beautiful 20 yard to 200 yard adjustable scope.

It also has a wood, half-moon shaped piece attached to the base of the pistol-grip contoured portion of the stock which appears to be a factory item that we don't know the purpose of or name for. Could it possibly be intended to help with leveling when bench shooting or maybe to help position and stabilize the trigger hand?

Thanks again.
Anne
Our prayers go out for all those impacted by Katrina. All but one of my New Orleans kinfolk have reported in safe and we're praying hard for his safety.
Anne,

The Queen Anne 4H club is just across the Rt 50 Bridge on the Eastern part of Maryland.

Send me PM with an e-mail address and I'll give you contact info for the Acorns. They are a Junior rifle club, my daughter shoots with them. I should be able to answer your questions about the Acorns.

Also if you just want to see a 3 Position Smallbore match and find out more about your gun, this Saturday at Fairfax Rod and Gun Club in Manassas, VA will be the Fall Finale small bore rifle match. Most of the top smallbore shooters in the area will be there. Several old timers that could tell you about the rifle. Match should start around 8:00 am and be finished up around 12:30-1:00 PM