Question about 1600 Anschutz

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Opusxc100

Re: Question about 1600 Anschutz

Post by Opusxc100 »

Here is a pic of my rifle, please take a look an offer any last observations that pertain to my original question(if there is any). Thank you so much!
Attachments
Rifle
Rifle
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Yes, that's a 1613. I think the triggerguard has been replaced, and almost certainly the bedding bolts too; the original would have been smaller with slot-headed countersunk bolts. I'm guessing this has hex-head bolts, most likely with belville washers under the heads.

I have to say I've never seen a 3200 mounted to the receiver. This would place it slightly further forwards. I'm jot sure whether the very extended butt is driving the position of the 'scope, or vice versa.
Opusxc100

Post by Opusxc100 »

It is a hex head, you are correct! I will be digging into her soon to look for the trigger designation.
As for the scope observation, I hope what I’ve set up is not in poor form, something I shouldn’t have done. But as to why, it’s the only location that works efficiently for eye relief. I ran the butt out to where my finger rested nicely on the trigger. To accomplish figuring out my pull, I placed the butt in the bend of my elbow and forearm then stretched out my arm so that I had a comfortable grip and my trigger finger had an effortless squeeze on the blade. Does that sound correct to you? I want to do this right!
Opusxc100

Post by Opusxc100 »

I have a theory about the “A” above the serial number… I wonder if it could be a designation by Anschutz for rifles destined for high school or jrotc shooting programs? This gun was purchased by a local high school in 1979 or 1980 for their local club. The shooting club was defunded in 1982 and the school sold off the guns… that’s the story behind this rifle. Who knows if it’s true, but I rather like the story!
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

The butt = forearm method is an old one, but not one I like. For prone/sling shooters there are way more factors than just the forearm. Personally, I like to adjust the butt length so my hand reaches the grip comfortably and easily, my shoulder is relaxed, and my wrist is as straight as possible*. When the trigger blade is adjustable, butt length is more about the hand and arm rather than the trigger finger, this is a separate adjustment. The forearm method, IMO, tends to extend the butt far more than is needed; for example if I set my rifle up this way, the butt would be 15in to the grip. It's actually 11-12in (I haven't measured it in a while). Over-extending the butt pushes out the mass of the rifle, making it harder to balance. Now, this may not be an issue shooting from a bench, but is when shooting sling supported.

*Sometimes the shape of the grip just doesn't allow a naturally straight wrist.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Opusxc100 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:04 pm I have a theory about the “A” above the serial number… I wonder if it could be a designation by Anschutz for rifles destined for high school or jrotc shooting programs?
Possibly, but why would Anschutz have to mark these specially? Did Anschutz, or the US importer, offer a discount that required additional stock control?
Opusxc100

Post by Opusxc100 »

Thank you for the advice on the length of the butt. It’s funny you said what you did because I had it about 1.5 to 2 inches shorter when I first started shooting last year, and it felt wonderful. But then I figured I had better do the “butt-forearm “ method to be technically correct. I’m going to shorten it up based on your advice.

The “a” in the serial number issue is only me speculating. I would like to think there is a reason behind that “A”. Lol
Opusxc100

Post by Opusxc100 »

Tim, your advice on the placement of the butt plate was right on…I shortened the butt about 2 inches, took most of the side to side wobble out of my hold. Also, my come down was more consistent which enabled me to time my shot with more confidence. Consequentially I shot my first 90(50ft, offhand)in tonight’s practice. Thank you for the advice!
justadude

Post by justadude »

I have a theory about the “A” above the serial number… I wonder if it could be a designation by Anschutz for rifles destined for high school or jrotc shooting programs?
I have a few examples that will wreck that theory: Guns I know for a fact were sold to the general public in the US with the A on the receiver near the serial number.

Next idea? :)

'Dude
justadude

Post by justadude »

In looking a the rifle overall:

I will agree with Tim, I have never seen a Redfield 3200 mounted to the receiver like that. Those mounts are remarkably tall.

If you are shooting standing then the distance between the barrel centerline and eyepiece of the scope is probably OK. Even for kneeling where the head is pretty much upright the distance is still pretty much OK. For prone, the scope is way too high.

As the name '3200' implies, the Redfield 3200 was developed specifically for an American Prone event that consisted of 320 rounds, usually fired over 2 days. The dominant prone position at the time (1960s and 1970s) was low, with the head tilted forward, the aiming eye not much above the barrel. As a result, the scopes were also mounted right down on the barrel, usually with no more than 1/4 inch (6mm) between the objective bell and the barrel. Hence, most of the guns from the period came from the factory with scope mounting blocks on the barrel, forward of the receiver. This was to accommodate the long body scopes, (Redfield 3200, Lyman and Unertl) The Lyman and Unertl scopes had external adjustments and there would be no way to mount them to the receiver. Period! While you have gotten it to work with the internally adjusted 3200 I am concerned with the amount of mass hanging out in front of the forward mount. A lot of scope bouncing around up there, even with the very modest recoil of a 22LR.

Just my two cents
'dude
Opusxc100

Post by Opusxc100 »

Dude, I certainly respect your position on both topics. I’ve read many of your posts and take your advice with high regard.
My comment on the “a” above the serial number was purely speculative. I’m just curious. Maybe there were only 26 of these barrels manufactured and I ended up with the first one.

As to the height of the scope, when I zero’d it, I was in prone and I did notice some extra upward stretching, but nothing too bad to cause tremors. If you have anymore advice, I would really appreciate the help, as I’m quite new to this sport. I do have a couple quick questions about my scope for you. What’s the difference between the 3200 and the 6400? Also, do you think the amount of scope “hanging” out over the barrel would cause accuracy issues or having to re-sight in often? Mine was purchased used in 1974 by my father. I told Tim it was a 3200, now I wonder if I’m wrong. The information I found on the interweb led me to declare it a 3200.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

It's a 3200. The 6400 is noticeably shorter, and was designed to be mounted to the receiver. I'd add that target 'scopes were originally barrel mounted, because a looooong tube was the only way to get high magnification at the time.

I had assumed from the 'scope mounting that you were shooting from a bench, and so needed the 'scope to be so high for a comfortable neck. Prone, welll I hope you have a good chiropractor on call! Seriously though, I think it would be hard to meet the 30° forearm with such a high sightline. Now the buttplatehas been run in, I would seriously consider mounting the 'scope on the barrel, as was intended. It may be possible to use slightly taller rings, or raiser blocks (the barrel mounts are the same 3/8in dovetail as period Anschutz foresights).
justadude

Post by justadude »

Hi Opus,

Thanks for the props on my comments. I have been at this a few years so a few thing have sunk in.

First, regarding a 3200 vs 6400. You have a 3200.
Redfield 6400 on top, 3200 on bottom
Redfield 6400 on top, 3200 on bottom
In the image here, a Redfield 6400 is on top, about 2/3 the length of a Redfield 3200.
You mention your father purchased the scope in 1974. That is about the same year the one pictured here was purchased, near the height of their popularity. The 6400 came out a few years later, 1980 or there about. The 6400 was OK but IMHO optically not the scope the 3200 was. Being lighter and with the weight further back a 6400 in lower power, would be a better choice for position shooting.

As for the mounting, look at the 3200, the mounting rings are set up to mount on the blocks typical of the Anschutz barrel. Set up for shooting prone.

I cannot say that your present mounting scheme will not work but I recommend against it. The center of mass of a 3200 is about 3" behind the objective bell. From your picture, the center of mass is probably 6" in front of your forward scope mount. This makes the scope just a big old tuning fork hanging out there, bouncing along on top of the barrel. You really are better off with the center of mass on the 3200 in between the two mounts.

While you could spend the rest of your life looking for the genuine Redfield mounts for the 3/8" scope blocks from the early 1970s, scope mounts that will accommodate the blocks on your rifle and hold the 3200 (1" tube) at a more appropriate height should not be too hard to locate. I an also add the updated scope mounts would probably be a fine thing as the original Redfield mounts for the smallbore applications were always fiddly and a pain in the tush in my opinion.

'dude
justadude

Post by justadude »

As for the 'A' on the receiver: Somewhere in a German old folks home is some guy, laughing his butt off, telling a story about randomly stamping the letter 'A' into Match 54 receivers just to keep people guessing. :)

'dude
Thauglor

Post by Thauglor »

I had an A marked anschutz 54 1600 a couple of years ago, bought directly from an importer that got them from Europe, I figured it was something to do with being a Europe production but have zero factual base for that, just like zero facts for it being a school run