Thoughts on reforming RF

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
JamesH

Re: Thoughts on reforming RF

Post by JamesH »

Mike M. wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:07 pmMy big point is that the current RF target set makes it impossible for a competitor to own his personal, portable RF bay. Something he can stuff into the trunk of his car, take to the range, practice, and take home. Shooting a match? Everybody brings their bays, and you can have four, six, or even ten competitors shooting at once. Hit/Miss scoring, just like the current RF Final, so it's easy to score.
It wouldn't actually be too hard to make 5x target holders which can be spaced out manually, with red and green lights and a shot timer to determine if the last shot made it.

It wouldn't be too hard to make 5x electronic targets which can connect to a laptop.

Too be honest the sensible thing would be to ditch RF and have everyone shoot sport pistol.
There I said it.

RF bears little relation to any other match, entry barrier is finding a range and one which will let you hog five targets, its an unforgiving match which puts people off.
Its fun and historical but I'd rather people carry on with sport pistol than switch over to RF air.
Ziperix

Post by Ziperix »

I wish they would just scrap RF and have both genders shoot sport pistol (or maybe standard pistol?)
merlin32

Post by merlin32 »

Men shoot sport pistol at comps over here - you can choose between centre fire and sport pistol, as they're both the same comp.

I enjoy the challenge with rapid fire. You do burn through the ammo in training though, I guess rapid air would make it cheaper and more accessible.

I shot some rapid at the club the other day (pics for attention)
PXL_20240410_073435413.jpg
PXL_20240410_073503364.jpg
renzo

Post by renzo »

For what it's worth, last weekend we shot the national qualifying (not me, I was at it as a judge) in air pistol and rifle.

One of the coaches, who was at the recent cup in Rio, brought the news that the gossip at the ISSF is that after Paris, there will be an overhaul in <olympic events.

I can't vouch for what I heard, but it sounds sensible and according with the latest trends in the IOC.

1) Prone would be restored to the OG, as a mixed event, possibly as a 60 or 30 qualy shot event. (I don't think it likely as such, for the IOC want equal medals by gender, not equal opportunities) .News were rumor, time will tell

2) RF would go the way of the dodo, being replaced by sport pistol, both separate for men and women.

3) Mixed team events would dissapear (shooting would lose three medals)

4) OF would be shortened (that'd be the 10th. change since London 2012) as it is considered too long, specially 3P.

I leave it here as it is, and I'd like to hear opinions froma my felllow shooters, even as a exercise in theory.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Moving everything to sport is probably the sensible solution.
It would be nice to keep rapid but sport makes more sense for a lot of reasons.

Ditching mixed teams also, does any other sport have that?

Hit/Miss scoring in OF - for the rapid part of sport - makes little sense, is tedious to run, throws oddball results like four 9.8s and a complete miss being 'better' than three 10.9s and 2 9.6s (maybe I'm out of date on the exact decimals)
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I would love to see RF kept...but it doesn't surprise me that it would be a high-profile target for replacement.