How do you choose an air pistol for ~10m informal practice and light pest control?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
sidpost

How do you choose an air pistol for ~10m informal practice and light pest control?

Post by sidpost »

I am primarily looking at the Steyr LP50 but, wonder about the LP10 and similar pistols from the other big names. How do you discriminate one option from the other? I could live happily with a single-shot pistol but, the 5 shot LP50 seems attractive and offers more inherent accuracy than I am apt to ever need however, after shooting an Anschutz 1813 in college, I am attracted to the premium options. The ONE FWB 22lr rifle I saw was really compelling so, that really opens up a can of worms and buyers remorse possibly without access to pistols like this locally.

I live on a farm so, it will be shot some against pests and rodents in general. I think I need to stick with 7.5J/5.5ft/lb energy levels but, 6J/4.4ft/lb levels could be worked with too. 22LR options won't work due to damage around structures (barns, equipment, tractors/cars, etc.) and pass-throughs possibly to livestock.

Other than wanting to avoid E-triggers and compact models, I am pretty open to any of the major brands and gently used and properly maintained options. A long time ago, I tried a single-stroke FWB target pistol but, these days think I need to stick to a PCP variant and an air pump.

What should I definitely avoid and what should I specifically look for? Where does the "value" vs. performance trade-off occur? Am I missing really good options in the $1,000 range (don't much) or do I really need to be in the $2K+ range to avoid the questionable options at ~$500? On the flip side, maybe I'm unaware of a ~$500 air pistol that will make a great option for me? My most expensive option is buying the wrong pistol and then repurchasing a different one.

TIA,
Sid
Rover

Re: How do you choose an air pistol for ~10m informal practice and light pest control?

Post by Rover »

FWB 65.
Gwhite

Re: How do you choose an air pistol for ~10m informal practice and light pest control?

Post by Gwhite »

If you are concerned with collateral damage, using a pistol with iron sights on (potentially moving) pests at varying distances is not the right approach. Get yourself a low/medium powered high quality (not GAMO) spring air rifle and put a scope on it. That will maximize your odds of good shot placement, and one-shot kills.

If you want to get an air pistol to shoot at targets, use the search feature. There are countless threads that have discussed this to death.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I would get both a HW95 with a Hawke 3X9 AO, and a Hammerli AP20.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

sidpost wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:15 pm . . . it will be shot against pests and rodents in general.
Where's ddk576?
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I would ask the question in another forum rather than Olympic Pistol.
sidpost

Post by sidpost »

How about a Hammerli AP20 PRO Match Air Pistol?
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

sidpost wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:36 pm How about a Hammerli AP20 PRO Match Air Pistol?
I think you really need to decide of you want to shoot a precision tool or rats first if you are only going with one tool. Since you will eventually probably go with a sub six hold, the pistol will no longer be a good pest eradication tool.
High Left

Post by High Left »

'Sort by price descending'
sidpost

Post by sidpost »

I am mainly looking for a target pistol. Use against rodents will be very limited. If I'm not worried about building damage, 22lr, 12 gauge, or my PCP air rifle are all better options.
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Dear Sidpost:

In my area there are a number of air pistol competitions that do a bullseye match format at 25 foot or 50 foot. With that being said, If I were to get a air pistol my only choice would be the LP50. Many of the competitors use the LP50 for olympic air pistol competitions as well. As a bonus it easily accepts a red dot.

I would check out what the local competitions are using and if there are bullseye air pistol competitions available then the LP50 is the obvious choice.

Also for your information, the LP50 is available in a standard velocity and high velocity models from Pilkguns. Everybody around here who has ordered the high velocity versions have sent them back to Pilkguns to have them rework it to standard velocity because it uses up too much air in the high velocity mode. From my understanding, Pilkguns can change them from high velocity to standard velocity but it is not a do it yourself at home option.
Regards,
Crankster
machinist mike

Post by machinist mike »

I would agree with the post about the LP50, but, I would suggest rather the LP5. It was an earlier version of the lp50, but CO2 powered, it gives up nothing accuracy wise over the AP version and will probably be somewhat cheaper being "old school". I purchased a 20# siphon feed (very important)
bulk CO2 tank at a welding supply house and I gotta say, that much CO2 lasts a looong time.

Mike