Walther LP500 rear sight width and depth adjustable limits

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
masaki

Walther LP500 rear sight width and depth adjustable limits

Post by masaki »

I bought an LP500 Expert through a Walther dealership in Japan four months ago and have been wondering whether or not the rear sight's depth and width adjusting mechanisms are as they have been designed. So far as my LP500 is concerned, the maximum width of opening and the minimum opening depth(according to the manual by Walter, "opening height") are 4.2mm and 1.4mm respectively. But, I would like that those limits are wider(e.g., 4.5mm) and shallower(e.g., 1.2mm). In order to have a sight/target image, which is like the capital letter A, suggested in Pistol Shooting's pages 56 and 57 by MEC, the opening width has to be wider and the opening depth has to be shallower. Do anyone who own LP500 have this problem? How do you solve it?

Ciao!
Masaki
Tokyo Japan
masaki

Re: Walther LP500 rear sight width and depth adjustable limits

Post by masaki »

I did not upload the pictures on the book in order not to violate their copyright. Instead, I illustrated by myself to elaborate my question. I am afraid if uploading my illustration succeeds...
lp500SightImages.jpg
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

i'm looking at the book in the mentioned pages, but there is no indication about how shallow the rear sight should be. and i personally don;t think it matters. you are focusing on the top of the front sight anyway.

as for the width, you need to change the front sight, not the rear. i think on lp500 you can rotate the front sight to get a thicker post.
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
spektr

Post by spektr »

I just took a look at rhey LP500 manual online......
Expand your thinking.
The front sight moves fore and aft.
The rear sight moves fore and aft
These adjustments control much of the fundamental sight picture.
Start moving the supplied adjuatability around like the manual says, and find your happy spot.
It doesnt need to be overcomplicated
masaki

Post by masaki »

azmodan,
Please look at the lowest-right-most picture(annotated with "Alfons suggests: ... ") in page 58 in the book and superimpose it on the picture in page 56. I would like to set the rear sight width and depth as suggested by Alfons. As for the front sight, the width is a bit narrower(compromising the front sight width to harmonize to the wrongly narrow rear sight with) as of now. but it can extend it's width easily.
My trigger releasing program written in my subconscious, which has been working for 40 years, would react automatically only to the sight picture 'A' with shorter legs. I tried modifying the program, so it reacts to the sight picture as shown in the left picture of my illustration, for four months without success.

Masaki
masaki

Post by masaki »

spektr,
>the front sight moves fore and aft.
Yes, it does. The front sight width at this moment has been adjusted to the rear sight width as a compromised solution. I am going to make the front sight wider after solving the rear sight problem.

>The rear sight moves fore and aft
Yes, it does. I have moved it aft 18mm. So far as the gun itself is concerned, I can move it 10mm more. But if it is moved so large , the rear end of the rear sight touches my wrist when in rest-on-the-table position. The Distance between my dominant eye and the rear sight is approximately 600mm. Moving the rear sight aft for the additional 10mm can extend the rear sight width only 1.67%.

>Start moving the supplied adjuatability around like the manual says,
I duly studied the manual but no mentioning on the minimum depth or max width. The figures I gave in my first post were obtained by turning the adjust screws all the way to revolving limits.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Masaki