Trigger Weight Setup Point.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
brent375hh

Trigger Weight Setup Point.

Post by brent375hh »

I have set my trigger to 525 grams at the divot in the middle of the blade.

Is it safe to assume that is is where it will get measured at a large competition?
Attachments
IMG_20210419_101158927~2.jpg
Gwhite

Re: Trigger Weight Setup Point.

Post by Gwhite »

Yes. The current weight system uses a wedge that fits into the groove. Long ago, they had a roller, but with angled triggers, it was hard to get a consistent result.
renzo

Post by renzo »

Gwhite wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:07 am Yes. The current weight system uses a wedge that fits into the groove. Long ago, they had a roller, but with angled triggers, it was hard to get a consistent result.
The judge at EQ is not forced by the rules to use the groove, he can weight the trigger further towards the tip of the trigger blade.

The rules only prescribe that the barrel maust be 90º upwards. Where that leaves your trigger blade depends on your choice, but don't tka for granted that the groove will be used.
JonPersson

Post by JonPersson »

If it’s an event that follows ISSF rules the groove will be used. If not, you should have a serious talk with the judges.

The rules say that the weight should be placed near the middle of the trigger. I guess that you could claim that “near the middle” would allow for measuring at either side of the groove, but that’s not how the rule is used.
The rules also give example pictures on how to measure and they all show the weight put on the middle of the trigger.
renzo

Post by renzo »

JonPersson wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:08 pm If it’s an event that follows ISSF rules the groove will be used. If not, you should have a serious talk with the judges.

The rules say that the weight should be placed near the middle of the trigger. I guess that you could claim that “near the middle” would allow for measuring at either side of the groove, but that’s not how the rule is used.
The rules also give example pictures on how to measure and they all show the weight put on the middle of the trigger.
Some trigger blades can be turned over, and the grooves are not unifom in their location "in the middle of the blade".

It´s a point my instructor when I made the ISSF judge course stressed specially: "a shooter can arrange his trigger blade in such a way that the groove is not in the middle of it, but displaced upwards, where the weight will give a false reading. Use the center of the blade"

That doesn't mean that iit's not going to be used (specially as it's easier to balance the edge of the weight if it's in the groove), I said it doesn't necessarily mean it will be used.
JonPersson

Post by JonPersson »

renzo wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:08 pm Some trigger blades can be turned over, and the grooves are not unifom in their location "in the middle of the blade".

It´s a point my instructor when I made the ISSF judge course stressed specially: "a shooter can arrange his trigger blade in such a way that the groove is not in the middle of it, but displaced upwards, where the weight will give a false reading. Use the center of the blade"

That doesn't mean that iit's not going to be used (specially as it's easier to balance the edge of the weight if it's in the groove), I said it doesn't necessarily mean it will be used.
Interesting! I assumed the groove was always in the middle.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I suspect the manufacturers make them that way, but people may have tried to "game" the system but modifying the triggers. Or, they may have made a custom one with a groove intentionally cut higher to reduce the leverage.