Air Cylinder Swapping -Are Any Manufactures Interchangable

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
CR10X

Air Cylinder Swapping -Are Any Manufactures Interchangable

Post by CR10X »

Specifically can a Pardini air cylinder be used on a Morini? Just curious.
TomAmlie

Re: Air Cylinder Swapping -Are Any Manufactures Interchangable

Post by TomAmlie »

Pretty much all of the brands have different mounting. The Steyr LP1/2/5/10/50 and Anschutz LP@ were the same, but I think that's it.
robjob

Post by robjob »

Walther lp400/500 and Hammerli ap20 are the same mount.
trev

Post by trev »

robjob wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:22 am Walther lp400/500 and Hammerli ap20 are the same mount.
Hammerli are owned by Walther I believe so that could be the reason both makes use the same cylinder mounting.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Morinis & Benelli Kites use very similar fill adapters & bleed pins, with identical threads. I know you can use a Benelli fill adapter on a Morini cylinder, but I'm not sure how well the reverse works. The catch is that Benelli cylinders are larger in diameter, and I don't think they will fit on a Morini. I haven't tried it, but you might be able to use a Morini cylinder on a Kite.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Gwhite wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:08 pm Morinis & Benelli Kites use very similar fill adapters & bleed pins, with identical threads. I know you can use a Benelli fill adapter on a Morini cylinder, but I'm not sure how well the reverse works. The catch is that Benelli cylinders are larger in diameter, and I don't think they will fit on a Morini. I haven't tried it, but you might be able to use a Morini cylinder on a Kite.
Given the scarcity of Kite cylinders, I finally got around to trying a Morini cylinder on a Kite. The pin that sticks out from the pistol on the Morini is about 1.25 mm longer than the corresponding pin on a Benelli. As a result, the Benelli pin isn't long enough to open the valve in a Morini cylinder. It might be possible to make a small extra spacer to allow a Benelli pistol to work with a Morini cylinder, but it would difficult to insert into the cylinder and easy to lose. It might be simpler to machine a new longer front pin part to replace the stock front pin on a Kite.

The team I help coach has a couple of Kites with leaking regulator seals, so I will need to tear one apart at some point to see if I can fix them. While I've got one apart, I can get dimensions to see if fabricating new front pins is feasible.
spektr

Post by spektr »

[/quote]
The team I help coach has a couple of Kites with leaking regulator seals, so I will need to tear one apart at some point to see if I can fix them. While I've got one apart, I can get dimensions to see if fabricating new front pins is feasible.
[/quote]

You might try this first. The Belleville washers in the regulator stacks get a tiny bit crusty over time. Im not sure why, but they do respond to a synthetic oil being lightly applied to the tank seal valve, Adding oil there and exercising the valve with a small wooden dowell or bamboo skewer and then shooting the oil through the gun frees up the regulator washer stacks and the valves that are slow leakers. My P44 gets a light oil treatment every 5000 rounds..
ojh

Post by ojh »

TomAmlie wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:15 am Pretty much all of the brands have different mounting. The Steyr LP1/2/5/10/50 and Anschutz LP@ were the same, but I think that's it.
Baikal MP672 is also compatible with Steyr cylinders.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

spektr wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:41 am
[/quote]

You might try this first. The Belleville washers in the regulator stacks get a tiny bit crusty over time. Im not sure why, but they do respond to a synthetic oil being lightly applied to the tank seal valve, Adding oil there and exercising the valve with a small wooden dowell or bamboo skewer and then shooting the oil through the gun frees up the regulator washer stacks and the valves that are slow leakers. My P44 gets a light oil treatment every 5000 rounds..
[/quote]
I've tried oiling several of them, with limited success. They still leak, but not as loudly...

We had four rebuilt before Larry Carter passed away, and he said there was a lot of debris in the regulator, which he blamed on bad air. We get all of our air from a dive shop, except when we go to away matches. Some schools have their own compressors, with who knows what sort of filtering & moisture control.

I have to wonder if the Kite Belleville springs are steel & not stainless. They could rust & mess up the works. I need to write to Benelli & see if they will share any maintenance info they have. I spoke with a guy who worked with Larry for a bit, and he said there are special tool required. The regulator looks like it takes a special small spanner. I can make one if I have to, but that pushes the process down on the list until I have a good chunk of free time.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Gwhite wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:40 am
spektr wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:41 am
[/quote]
I've tried oiling several of them, with limited success. They still leak, but not as loudly...

We had four rebuilt before Larry Carter passed away, and he said there was a lot of debris in the regulator, which he blamed on bad air. We get all of our air from a dive shop, except when we go to away matches. Some schools have their own compressors, with who knows what sort of filtering & moisture control.

I have to wonder if the Kite Belleville springs are steel & not stainless. They could rust & mess up the works. I need to write to Benelli & see if they will share any maintenance info they have. I spoke with a guy who worked with Larry for a bit, and he said there are special tool required. The regulator looks like it takes a special small spanner. I can make one if I have to, but that pushes the process down on the list until I have a good chunk of free time.
[/quote]Steyr also uses carbon steel washers. I assume because carbon makes a better spring than stainless. I give them a light coating of Superlube when I clean my regulator and change out the o-rings on the piston. I have never had rust in any of my guns. I would like to buy a pump and not carry a tank to a dive shop, but the stories of moisture in the air keep me carting the 80 CF to the same shop.