Walther KKM-GX1 upgrade

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

devi

Walther KKM-GX1 upgrade

Post by devi »

Hi all

I own an old walther gx1 of 1983. I want to upgrade with a new stock.

This model is not very common in Spain. Do you know any stock available nowaday that fit with my round action?

Any feedback will be very grateful.
Last edited by devi on Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim S

Re: Walther KKM-GX! upgrade

Post by Tim S »

When Walther brought out the KK200, they made an adaptor block to fit a KKM action. They may still have some. Robert Nibbs made his System Gemini stocks for the KKM, and still may www.rifle-maker.com I can't remember if MEC and Keppeller included the KKM, they covered most round actions. There's always the Esprit Carabine; using the barrel blocks you wouldn't need action bedding, just a big enough hole for the trigger and bolt handle.
devi

Post by devi »

Thank you very much Tim.

It is not very common in Spain sotck customized. I´ve sent an email to Robert with my question.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Is there a Tesro dealer in Spain? They offer drop-in stocks for Walther KK200/300 and UIT actions. This link is from the Canadian dealer:

https://www.tesro.ca/rifle-and-pistol-a ... ignum.html

This might be an option for you as well.

Jason
devi

Post by devi »

Jason wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:08 am Is there a Tesro dealer in Spain? They offer drop-in stocks for Walther KK200/300 and UIT actions. This link is from the Canadian dealer:

https://www.tesro.ca/rifle-and-pistol-a ... ignum.html

This might be an option for you as well.

Jason
I sent an email laste week pending of an answer about UIT specifications.

Actually still pending about:

Carl walther stock
Mecarmes:
Robert Nibbs
Tesro

I will provide their answer in the forum. It would be interesting for other users.
devi

Re: Walther KKM-GX1 upgrade

Post by devi »

Hi Again

I´ve found an USA dealer in CarlWalther.com thats asure that GX1 action fits properly in the next reference for walther: 2638762 with a special adaptor.

I hope this could help to USA users of this marvellous carbine. In case you need more details please contact Earl Sheehan, very good dealer, unfortunately he can not export to Spain and there is no dealer with this item available here in europe.

BR everybody
dc.fireman

Post by dc.fireman »

Contact Armin, @ tec-hro.de

He is very responsive, and may already have a solution.

-tc
devi

Post by devi »

Many thanks.

I will contact them
devi

Post by devi »

dc.fireman wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:05 pm Contact Armin, @ tec-hro.de

He is very responsive, and may already have a solution.

-tc
I contact him yesterday. Unfortunately, actually techro.de stock doesn´t fit in my stock.
devi

Post by devi »

Finally the only stock manufacturer available is Robert Nibbs.

He customizes stocks, the only problem is my budget.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Roberts stocks are nice, but not cheap. Was it not possible to use an EC Universal with the barrel clamps? If the trigger opening needed machining that could be done locally, or even by hand.

For a cheaper option have you thought of a new cheekpiece or buttplate?
devi

Post by devi »

Tim S wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:52 am Roberts stocks are nice, but not cheap. Was it not possible to use an EC Universal with the barrel clamps? If the trigger opening needed machining that could be done locally, or even by hand.

For a cheaper option have you thought of a new cheekpiece or buttplate?
The problem with the EC stock is that the machining area overlaps with the grip screw.

Related with cheekpiece or buttplate, I don´t have found any item from walther that fits with my old stock. All the products are focused in KK300 and KK500 models.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Oh yes, the KKM/UIT has the back bedding screw behind the trigger. That would get in the way of the grip if you wanted a traditional free-floated barrel. But would that matter if you use the barrel clamps? I though when you clamp the barrel the receiver doesn't touch the stock, and the bedding screws were not used.

It's been a while since I had a KKM in my hands, I thought the wood of the cheekpiece came of the metal easily. Must have been thinking of an Anschutz. I'm sure Robert Nibbs would machine one if his buttplates to fit a KKM carrier.
devi

Post by devi »

See sttached the receiver size (mm)

I'm not sure that it fit well on the stock gap.

On the other hand there is a lack of drawings to check measurements and it is hard to invest 1500$ if you are not very sure.

Your idea of Robert's buttplate sounds very well. Do you have a sample?
Attachments
Screenshot_20200421-200904_Photos~2.jpg
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

devi wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:01 am Thank you very much Tim.

It is not very common in Spain sotck customized. I´ve sent an email to Robert with my question.

I hope you have better luck with his e-mail system than I did quite recently. I asked him a gunsmith question and never got a reply. Probably just a glitch. I have met him and he was very helpful then. And no question that his Gemini design is a winner.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Devi,

I'd remembered the Walter had a long trigger mechanism. If you are supporting the barrel, and the receiver does not touch the stock, it seems possible to make a bigger hole for the trigger. The new KK500 fits the EC stock, and that also has a long trigger.

Send me a PM with your email and I can send you pics of my Gemini buttplate. It is fitted to a Gemini stock. I'm sure I've seen one on a Walther GX-1 so it's just a question of drilling holes in the right places to bolt it onto your Walther.
devi

Post by devi »

Cumbrian wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:39 pm
devi wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:01 am Thank you very much Tim.

I hope you have better luck with his e-mail system than I did quite recently. I asked him a gunsmith question and never got a reply. Probably just a glitch. I have met him and he was very helpful then. And no question that his Gemini design is a winner.
I request for a quotation. He takes seversl days to answer me due to covid in UK.

The problem is that the stocks prices us close to 2000€ plus extras.
unri12

Post by unri12 »

hi, I am from Australia. It is not necessary to bed the entire action. All you really need to do is bed areas that will allow the stock to lock to the action better with the appropriate torque on action screws. Here is the bedding compound I found to work best. It is specifically made for bedding rifles but can be used on other projects.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

unri12 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:58 am hi, I am from Australia. It is not necessary to bed the entire action. All you really need to do is bed areas that will allow the stock to lock to the action better with the appropriate torque on action screws. Here is the bedding compound I found to work best. It is specifically made for bedding rifles but can be used on other projects.
I don't think the OP was talking about epoxy bedding the action. Instead he meant his Walther action didn't fit an EC stock properly due to the size of the trigger mechanism and the position of the rear screw.
devi

Post by devi »

Yes the main problem was the adjust of trigger size in the stock.

Finally I change gx1 with a Anschutz 54 more polivalent and aftermarket stocks.