FAS 607 Slide Lock Sometimes Engages While Firing?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mark Briggs

FAS 607 Slide Lock Sometimes Engages While Firing?

Post by Mark Briggs »

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if this is happening only to me... Recently acquired a very lightly-used FAS 607. Quite a nice pistol to compliment my 602 and 603 - just missing the 6007 to complete the set! LoL

Over the course of a few hundred rounds I have, on perhaps a half dozen occasions, had the slide lock engage while firing. A shot is fired and then the next won't fire because the slide is locked open. No part of my shooting hand is coming anywhere near the slide lock so the slide lock appears to be engaging under recoil. This has happened with several brands of ammo (all standard velocity, no high velocity stuff).

Has anybody else had this happen? Does anybody have a decent fix for this? I haven't had this same malfunction on my 602. I'm thinking the slide lock needs a stronger pull-down spring to keep it in its fully-retracted position while firing. Haven't gone so far yet as to investigate what type of spring is currently installed.

The same goes for the occasional light firing pin strikes on the 607. The firing pin return spring seemed grossly over-powered so I removed it without adverse effect but with only slight improvement in the rate of soft firing pin strikes. I'm wondering if the slide isn't fully returning to battery, thus some of the hammer energy is being sucked up in pushing the slide closed. I'm open to any and all suggestions. I do enjoy shooting the 607 but so far haven't been able to get its reliability to a competition-ready level.

Mark.
Gwhite

Re: FAS 607 Slide Lock Sometimes Engages While Firing?

Post by Gwhite »

I don't recall if it was a 607, but a friend was getting light hits with his FAS. Over time, his hammer spring had weakened. He replaced it, and all was well again.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Thanks for your reply. In this case the gun is essentially new, I would estimate less than 500 rounds total through it, including what I have fired. Unless it was stored cocked I can't think of how the hammer spring would have weakened significantly...
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

You may have answered your own question: "if it was stored cocked" Hard to say for sure, but it's a possibility.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

The original question regarding the slide lock engaging during firing remains, well... An unsolved mystery.

There may be an explanation for the occasional light primer strikes, but that darned slide lock still engages from time to time. While it makes for a clearly allowable malfunction, one doesn't want to tolerate any condition which causes a malfunction.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Have you tried replacing the slide lock spring?

I'm not sure if it's possible to get it wrong but have you also checked that the spring is in the correct position to hold the slide lock down?
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Never had an issue like that with my 607. My complaint for the slide lock is that it is very awkward to manipulate.

Any sources for replacement parts/kits for the 607?

www.dominoguns.it is no more. :(
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

David Levene wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:32 pm Have you tried replacing the slide lock spring?

I'm not sure if it's possible to get it wrong but have you also checked that the spring is in the correct position to hold the slide lock down?
The spring holds the slide lock in the "down" position, but not with very much force. I'm thinking my next avenue of investigation will be an aftermarket, slightly stronger spring.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Mark Briggs wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:00 pm
The spring holds the slide lock in the "down" position, but not with very much force. I'm thinking my next avenue of investigation will be an aftermarket, slightly stronger spring.
Have you tried bending the tail of thre spring slightly to give a little bit more force?

It's such a small spring, strangely shaped, that I would be surprised if you could find an aftermarket one.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

I haven't yet dissected that part of the pistol. I suspect, as you say, it's a flimsy little thing of custom manufacture. I may end up re-bending it or fabricating a new one from stock on hand. After owning a few TOZ 35's one gets used to having to work a little magic with springs! :-)
Leon

Post by Leon »

"Recently acquired a very lightly-used FAS 607. Quite a nice pistol to compliment my 602 and 603 - just missing the 6007 to complete the set! LoL"

Don't forget the 601 (probably my favourite FAS) and the 604/6004 !
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

And the 609 !
David M

Post by David M »

Had a similar problem with a Tesro, slide lock bouncing up under recoil.
Put in a stronger slide lock spring, lock and feed problems fixed.
NORCO

Post by NORCO »

Hi Mark, The same thing happened to my 602. When I took it apart the little e clip holding the slid catch was gone, so it would somethings go up and hold it open..at the Australian Championships :-(
Or maybe the spring itself is damaged?
something to consider...
Hope this helps...
G
Rover

Post by Rover »

Quick and dirty? Remove the slide lock.