Eyewear confusion

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rover

Re: Eyewear confusion

Post by Rover »

Everything Gwhite said is correct, BUT, in my opinion and experience, having a too sharp bull leads to trying to "ambush" it as it wanders by, leading to poor triggering. Since you are essentially "living in the past" as your brain processes information and nerve impulses move along, the above does not lend itself to accurate shooting. You are 'a day late and a dollar short'.

I personally found the bull distracting as I tried to keep pulling the focus to the front sight; tiring. I prefer to try to enhance my concentration on sight alignment and trigger squeeze.

Now you have another fun thing to play with.
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

Eyewear Confusion:

Signs matter. A corrective lens that pulls your focus closer will be a positive diopter lens, a correction that pushes your focus out will be a negative correction lens. Some people's distance correction is positive, some people have negative. So your prescription of -0.25 for your aiming eye, when you add +0.75 will yield a result of +0.50 for your shooting glasses.

All this math only applies to the sphere value of your prescription. If you have an astigmatism (ie if your cylinder value is something other than zero), you want to keep that value unchanged.

Diopters add, so if I stack a +2.00 lens on top of another +2.00 lens, I have a +4.00. Also, if I stack a +2.00 on top of a -2.00, they cancel each other, and I got nothing. So when I say add +0.75 for pistol, you can either take your distance vision glasses and add +0.75 and get those glasses made, or else you can use your standard distance vision and add a second lens in the rear sight that has the +0.75 power.
Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
info@shootingsight.com
513-702-4879
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

ShootingSight wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:50 am Eyewear Confusion:

Signs matter. A corrective lens that pulls your focus closer will be a positive diopter lens, a correction that pushes your focus out will be a negative correction lens. Some people's distance correction is positive, some people have negative. So your prescription of -0.25 for your aiming eye, when you add +0.75 will yield a result of +0.50 for your shooting glasses.

All this math only applies to the sphere value of your prescription. If you have an astigmatism (ie if your cylinder value is something other than zero), you want to keep that value unchanged.

Diopters add, so if I stack a +2.00 lens on top of another +2.00 lens, I have a +4.00. Also, if I stack a +2.00 on top of a -2.00, they cancel each other, and I got nothing. So when I say add +0.75 for pistol, you can either take your distance vision glasses and add +0.75 and get those glasses made, or else you can use your standard distance vision and add a second lens in the rear sight that has the +0.75 power.
thank you. now it;s finally clear :)
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
kwc1059

Post by kwc1059 »

Here is another option.

www.SeeBetterShootBetter.com
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

This is just another small aperture that increases your depth of filed (range of distances over which the image is focused). There are several other brands on the market.

Small apertures have two drawbacks:

1) They reduced the light reaching the eye a LOT, which can cause eye strain & fatigue over the course of a match

2) A very large number of pistol shooters do NOT want the target in focus. It makes it too easy to lose concentration on the front sight and sight alignment without realizing it.

I recently stumbled across a video of the 2018 Men's Air Pistol World Championship finals. Of the 8 shooters, only 3 used an aperture at all, and those used an adjustable aperture. It was impossible to tell how small they set the opening, but I've never seen a high level shooter that cranks theirs down anywhere near as small as the "seebettershootbetter" aperture appears to be. I usually set mine to between 3 & 4 mm, and I would guess that the "seebettershootbetter" one is closer to 1.5 mm.

I only introduce an adjustable aperture to the more advanced students I coach. I've seen too many beginners crank the size down so the target is sharp, and their scores immediately tank.
specs

Post by specs »

The easiest and best way is to measure the distance from your eye to the front site when in proper stance. (someone helping with a tape measure)
Now go back to the Dr, and tell them you have a requirement for this distance, he will modify the Rx accordingly. A good optician can also do this.
Then prior to having this correction made up, ask to be trial framed with you holding a pencil when you are in your shooting stance.
Lastly, the Rx you posted is the readout from an AutoRefractor, not the Dr. Rx. It is not signed, so is not valid.
Yes, I am a retired optician.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

That will get you in the ball park, but many people find that having the focus exactly at the front sight is close and makes the target too fuzzy. Before spending a lot of money on new lenses, if you want to experiment first, use your regular glasses, and one of these:

https://shootingsight.com/product/test-lens-frame/
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

In human vision, you usually want to focus 'on' something. However in shooting you are contending with two objects: a near sight and a distant target, and you want to see both simultaneously, albeit with the sight somewhat more clear than the target. If you truly focus 'ON' the front sight, you can calculate your prescription by simply adding +1.50 to your distance vision correction (for the exact math, measure from your eye to the front sight, in meters, and invert that number. So 26" to the front sight is 0.66 meters, requiring a +1.50 ADD). However if you do this (and those with 20/20 vision can experiment by buying a cheap pair of +1.50 readers), you will find that the target is way too blurry to be useful.

Optical math suggests that the hyperfocal distance, or the optical average between focusing on the target and the sight, is a good starting place, Indeed, I run the math based on an average between the rear sight and the target, and it works out to about a +0.75 ADD to your distance vision. THis means the rear sight and target will be roughly the same sharpness, but the front sight will be clearer than either of the two.

Increasing to a +1.00 ADD will make the sights VERY sharp, but the target will likely start to fuzz out, unless you start adding an aperture ... however that blocks light, so it is only a solution if you have a very bright range, or shoot outdoors.
Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
info@shootingsight.com
513-702-4879
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Dr Norman Wong, an accomplished shooter in his own right, wrote a group of papers on shooting and eyesight which are available here:

https://www.bullseyepistol.com/wong.htm

The first in the list "For Eyecare Professionals" was written by him to help optometrists/opticians understand where we shooters are coming from. Of course for Azmodan's eyecare professional, it will need to be translated!

Bob
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

BobGee wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:49 pm Dr Norman Wong, an accomplished shooter in his own right, wrote a group of papers on shooting and eyesight which are available here:

https://www.bullseyepistol.com/wong.htm

The first in the list "For Eyecare Professionals" was written by him to help optometrists/opticians understand where we shooters are coming from. Of course for Azmodan's eyecare professional, it will need to be translated!

Bob
thanx
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
kwc1059

Post by kwc1059 »

I recently stumbled across a video of the 2018 Men's Air Pistol World Championship finals. Of the 8 shooters, only 3 used an aperture at all, and those used an adjustable aperture. It was impossible to tell how small they set the opening, but I've never seen a high level shooter that cranks theirs down anywhere near as small as the "seebettershootbetter" aperture appears to be. I usually set mine to between 3 & 4 mm, and I would guess that the "seebettershootbetter" one is closer to 1.5 mm.
The Magnetic Target Shooting Aperture has an opening that is 1/16". Sometime in August it will be available with an adjustable aperture. You can visit the website to see what it looks like.
Irishshooter

Post by Irishshooter »

Guys I'm looking at getting a dedicated pair of pistol shooting glasses made up the next time I get my eyes checked. My current numbers are
SPH +2.75
CYL -1.50
AXIS 2.0
Near +2.25
Inter +1.00
am I on the right track if I get the astigmatism sorted and add +0.75 or +1.00 to my distance numbers ?
If I purchased reading glasses +3.50 and +3.75 would that give me an idea of what I need , but they would do nothing to help the astigmatism, am I on the right track with this ?
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

Irishshooter wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:36 pm am I on the right track if I get the astigmatism sorted and add +0.75 or +1.00 to my distance numbers ?
One cheap way to check that is to go to a dollar store and buy +1.00 reading glasses.
Pop one of the lenses from the frame and tape it to your prescription glasses.
Irishshooter

Post by Irishshooter »

[One cheap way to check that is to go to a dollar store and buy +1.00 reading glasses.
Pop one of the lenses from the frame and tape it to your prescription glasses.
[/quote]

Yes I think I will try that out, and look for a happy medium as I don't want the target too fuzzy
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

Gimgim's suggestion is good, with the only caveat being that +1.00 are not readily available, so you might go to Amazon. I found these: https://www.amazon.com/Eyekepper-Reader ... r=8-6&th=1

Available in both +0.75 and +1.00.

In my experience, most people find +0.75 gives good sight clarity and good target clarity.

+1.0 will give GREAT sight clarity, but might fuzz the target a little too much, so if you get a 1/16" aperture and put it on, it will slightly restore target clarity, so you get great sights and good target.
Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
info@shootingsight.com
513-702-4879
Irishshooter

Post by Irishshooter »

Thanks ShootingSight.
I had a look yesterday locally and could not see glasses lower than +1.25, so I will buy online, and try them out.
Im using my variable focal's at the moment and as you can imagine my head is up and down to get the clearest sight picture.
Im wondering can the optician measure the glass strength if I marked the sweet spot on my prescription glasses ?
Irishshooter

Post by Irishshooter »

Just an update, I haven't purchased any of the reading glasses but instead I am going to experiment with an old pair of my varifocal glasses. I purchased the pistol eyepal (so that I could easily move it around the lens) I have placed it on the lens where it gives me the best sight and target picture, I then closed in the nose piece so that the glasses sit higher on my face and I don't have to tilt my head back. I haven't been to the range yet but looking forward to seeing how they perform.
What Im wondering is can an optician read the strength of the lens where I have the eyepal positioned, so that I could get shooting glasses made with that strength of lens ?
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

> What Im wondering is can an optician read the strength of the lens where I have the eyepal positioned

Yes, an optometrist should be able to do that.
Irishshooter

Post by Irishshooter »

Thanks gimgim
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Hello all,

This topic is right on time for me. In working with my granddaughter, I think she sometimes sneaks a peek at the bull during her shot delivery process. What I would like to go is find a +0.25 clip-on lens to attach to her glasses on her aiming eye so she cannot do this and also provide a crisp front sight.

Personally, I use a 50 or 75 lens, but 25 lens for younger eyes usually works well for them. However, I have not found a source for a clip on lens in this power yet. If anyone knows of a source, please let me know.

TIA

Stan