Prone position rightwards recoil

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Crashtacular

Prone position rightwards recoil

Post by Crashtacular »

After changing stock on my 1907 to what I believe is an 1813 stock. I have been doing quite a bit more prone shooting. I am having an intermittent issue with my position. I am using a 24x scope, and usually shoot at a 100 yard mini Palma target. So it is very easy to see the way my sight jumps after the shot. So days I get the desireable quick and short jump straight up and it settles quickly near where the shot was fired. Other days, I seem to get more pulse and an up and right recoil. I can see the shots that recoil more to the right always go to the right. The issue has nothing to do with poor zero of the scope or anything else with the rifle/ammo. It is definitely a position or possible sling/buttplate adjustment issue. So I guess the actual question I am asking is, what could cause that type of recoil? I wish I could provide pictures of myself in position, but I don’t have someone to take any pictures at this time. Thank in advance for any help.
Tim S

Re: Prone position rightwards recoil

Post by Tim S »

I usually associate jumpy sideways recoil with a tense or loose position too; something is preventing the rifle from recoiling smoothly, probably tension on your body. Tension isn't consistent, so some days it's a nice up-down flick, and others a lurch sideways.

This is very hard to diagnose over the Internet. However, check sling tension (tight enough, but your shoulders are still square), and butt position in the shoulder. With an 1813 (or any Free Rifle) you get more adjustment than your 1907; you can use this to achieve a good fit and a relaxed shoulder. But, it's possible to adjust the plate so it fits badly, and impedes recoil. If you're using the hook, this should be snug against the upper chest ribs, but still let you seat the butt properly. It's easy to make it too tight, or too wide where it catches on your trigger arm.

Also, consider the cheekpiece. Can you drop your head straight down until your cheekbone catches the edge, and be looking through the sights? 1813 and 1907 cheeckpieces are different; you may need to fettle the 1813. I found mine too wide. It can be easily removed from the rifle, and replaced with a piece of softwood to customise.
ZD

Post by ZD »

Okay, I have some thoughts. I would actually start by looking at your left elbow; I am very careful about how I set mine up each time and if my recoil continues to go up and right, I will slide my elbow to the right (assuming you are a right handed shooter). This will place my elbow "more under the rifle." I would defn. look at your cheekpiece as well, the author above is right to note that. One other thought; how is the buttplate on your rifle set-up? You want to make sure that the buttplate is allowing the rifle to be brought in as close to you as possible. I make sure that my hook is ether neutral or a little away from my shoulder (backwards from how it should be set-up for standing) allowing the buttplate to sit in the pocket of my shoulder and as close to my chest as possible. This will help with recoil.

-Zach
tenring

Post by tenring »

It has everything to do with your position, sling tension, length of pull, and body alignment. Then the consistency each time you lay down. Meaning if your body alignment each time you lay down is off a little will change everything. Not so much that you can’t compensate. There lies the problem you are seeing. It’s no easy task to explain that in a few words! I’ve been shooting now roughly 8 years and even being the anilitical type I am, I’m just now making a conclusive connection. I’ve never had any formal coaching so it has taken longer to figure out. I also bet some very great shooters still have not made the connection. Even though I usually shoot and have shot very competitively without knowing this, I feel where I am know I will be much more consistent and my X count will rise significantly. Everything Tim just said is 100% correct! The very difficult part is putting it all together because making one change often affects another.

I was going to attempt to explain but I could actually write a book on it. I’ll shoot you a pm.

Chad
Crashtacular

Post by Crashtacular »

To all,
I appreciate the ideas you have all thrown around, those were exactly the types of responses I was hoping for. My “1813” stock isn’t exactly as it is from the factory, but my cheekpiece and head alignment is definitely good. Also, I definitely have my left elbow(right handed shooter) under the rifle enough. I am hoping that moving my buttplate away from me(to the right side of the barrel) will help. . I am hoping to get some practice time in testing that on Monday. I am shooting what is essentially my first smallbore prone match next Saturday. I will also keep the other suggestions in mind.
Thanks again for all of the suggestions,
Joel
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Having your elbow under the rifle at all isn't ideal. For your position to be stable, your left arm has to be straight when seen from above; the weight of the rifle has to bear in-line with your arm (and the sling) for balance. Typically your elbow will be a few inches to the left of the rifle, depending on shoulder breadth and angle to target. If your elbow is under the rifle, your arm isn't straight, and the weight of the rifle isn't balanced. Usually the imbalance will see your arm tip over to the left. It might be something as simple as sling length or hand position that is causing the bend.

Thinking of the hand, is your left wrist straight? It's usually more comfortable for the wrist to be straight.