Wind flags, ISSF compliant

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

ZD

Wind flags, ISSF compliant

Post by ZD »

I have a question for the assembled masses. Does anyone have any experience making windflags that meet the international rulebook? Currently the range I shoot at (and most ranges that we shoot at ) use oversized tent stakes (or something you might find staked in your garden) with streamer tape. I am looking at replacing the ones at our range for my smallbore team. I have looked online; there are some videos and pictures of ISSF flags that the European websites sell, which are a great place to look at for ideas, but they are expensive and not realistic for a US order. The fabric itself seems pretty straightforward; you get some kind of vinyl or polyester type fabric, put a grommet in it, and you can attach it to your flag. But I would love to hear ideas. What I really need help with what is what I will be putting in the ground; something that can be staked in (but removed each time least the regular range shooters use it as a target) but yet is also hollow so that a windflag can rotate inside of it (as the rulebook specifies this as well as the weight and dimensions of a windflag. Any and all suggestions are appreciated it; I spent today at a fabric store and home depot, but I don't think my macgyver methods will work well.

-Zach
pfiori

Re: Wind flags, ISSF compliant

Post by pfiori »

I used the least expensive aluminum arrow shafts that I could find, made the swing arms out of wire coat hangers and used fishing swivels to attach the flag to the arm. The fabric is readily available online.
If your ground is hard, you may want to install PVC tubing flush with ground level so you dont have to pound the arrow shafts in each time.

Pete
BourbonBiscuit

Post by BourbonBiscuit »

Made some flags last year, stored at the range now.

Will take photographs / measurements later in the week.
ZD

Post by ZD »

Thank you gentleman for the responses. Pete I appreciate the details, they make sense. To the other gentleman I look forward to seeing pictures of your wind flags. Thanks so much!
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

Just made over 100 flags for the ASSA Championships. Send me your email via pm and I will send a photo.
Regards
ken
NMC_EXP

Post by NMC_EXP »

Polyester and grosgrain ribbon in various widths up to 3" is available on ebay and I assume local craft stores. A 3 yard roll is inexpensive.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 24&_sop=15

As others have said, (1) a vertical post hollow or drilled on one end (2) a piece of stiff wire with a 90 deg bend to insert into the post - the horizontal portion of those I've seen is about 6" long (3) a grommet in the flag (4) some method to attached the flag to the horizontal wire.

You will need to recalibrate your wind speed estimation versus that provided by plastic surveyor tape.

I do not have recommended flag dimensions or distance from firing line to flag line.
pcw

Post by pcw »

Hey 1813benny,
How about posting the pictures here so we can all see. This is something I've been meaning to ask about for a while.
Cheers!
BourbonBiscuit

Post by BourbonBiscuit »

Managed to take a few photos last night.

Poles are made from aluminium rod (6mm OD, 1000 long) and tube (6mm ID, 8mm OD, 250 long).
Tube is pushed onto rod by 100mm and crimped in place.

Stainless steel bicycle spokes are used for wire, flags hang from fishing swivels and paper clips bent to suit.

ZD

Post by ZD »

Thank you sir. Appreciate the details on the aluminum. Thanks to everyone for the detailed responses.

-Zach
Albert T

Post by Albert T »

For my club in Haarlem, The Netherlands I made flags using 10mm diameter alluminium pipe stuck in the ground, 1mm Stainless Steel welding wire and seveyors tape cut to a width of 50mm and a length of just over 800mm.
By folding the tape over the swivel in 2 layers, you get the correct lengt and width of the flag. When you put in 2 rows of 5 staples along the long side, evenly devided over the length of the flag you also get the correct ISSF weight of 150 grams/mm2 (or very close to it).
The tape starts to deteriorate after aprox 1 year so you need to replace it after 1 or 1,5 years.
See also attached pictures.

Albert T
(The Netherlands)
Attachments
flag4.jpg
flag3.jpg
flag2.jpg
flag2.jpg (22.8 KiB) Viewed 2370 times
flag1.jpg