Can I save my club from itself?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

metman

Re: Can I save my club from itself?

Post by metman »

andrew53 wrote:Funny how life is: Last year - after a few months or procrastination I finally decided to join a close by range - and then it was closed.

I'm an AP shooter just starting out but serious.

Now I need somewhere else to shoot and get some instruction.
If you're in Montreal, contact the Fédération Québecoise de Tir (FQT) the Quebec shooting association. They have airgun facilities on Jarry St. East with Sius (?) electronic targets. Some of the top AP shooters in Quebec train there. I think it's Wed. evenings.
siordian1

Post by siordian1 »

Start small and work from there. Start an email group with those you know will participate, then network from there. As new shooters show up, get there email info and add them. I assist at the Phoenix Rod and Gun club, we have an email list with 50 members. We send out a weekly blast with what is going on. Not all shoot regularly but it keeps them interested. We have a few from out of state who like to shoot with us in the winter months.
andrew53

Post by andrew53 »

metman:

I am in Montreal during the workweek.

I'll check it out.

Tks.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

andrew53 wrote:metman:

I am in Montreal during the workweek.

I'll check it out.

Tks.
I'm thinking that if I want to be serious about pistol shooting I have to give up the smallbore shooting and switch to AP.

At lease then I could participate with others who are actually training and there would be no problem in bringing an AP in my car so I could drive by Jarry on my way home.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
2eyesOpen

Post by 2eyesOpen »

If you have a couple people interested in your discipline find a postal league and be the local organizer for the people in your club. We have picked up a couple new members for ISSF and Schuetzen. I think Schuetzen is great for getting new people into a weekly league. You can't be a stickler when it comes to new people and what gun they can use. We allowed 10/22 and Ar-22's, we also made them only load 1 round in a mag to keep it semi traditional. Some of them later bought used Anni's and continue to shoot. Another guy brought loaner guns and slings for ISSF. If it were not for that, I would have never got started in it. Once people get more competitive you can reign in the hardware requirements, but not many people have an extra 2k to try a new sport out. We are now trying to get the local 4H and boy scouts involved to get some youth shooters. You have to get some new blood into the shooting sports or they will cease to be.