Winchester Model 52 values

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bearphoto

Winchester Model 52 values

Post by bearphoto »

I have a Winchester model 52 match rifle in .22 caliber. Its a 60's model, great condition but I have not seen any of these around?
wahoowillie

Re: Winchester Model 52 values

Post by wahoowillie »

There are over 20 of them on gunbroker right now:
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Ke ... r+model+52
If you watch the auctions for a few weeks you will get a good ideal of what yours might be worth depending on general condition, bluing, quality of wood and type sights. I recently paid $1600 for a 52B built in early 60's that's in remarkable condition with beautiful Marble/Goss target sights. I passed up many others in $700-$1200 range but wanted pristine condition, so paid a premium.
NRA Life Member
patriot

Post by patriot »

I thought production of B's ended in '51 and C's ended in '61, is it a D?

Price range looks correct. Original sights add to the price.

Mark
rbs

Post by rbs »

I wouldn't base value on asking prices, but instead bids. I agree with Mark that the gentleman's 52 is not a "B" model, a late model "C" likely. I will add that Karl Kenyon felt the C models with serial numbers above 90,000 had some of the best barrels Winchester made. I do have a "D" that is absolutely pristine, with sights, that I would love to sell for $1600
bearphoto

Post by bearphoto »

Well I can't swear its a 60's era model. I mentioned 60's era because thats when my dad bought it for us. He bought it used in the mid to early 60's. As kids we shot small bore competition throughout California. There is no letter visible beside the model number. My brother mentioned a 52D but there is no letter. Winchester model 52 is what it says. Its a heavy barreled rifle for sure, dark wood stock, match sights, bolt action with a removable magazine.
rbs

Post by rbs »

magazine and no letter would indicate an "A" model
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

rbs wrote:magazine and no letter would indicate an "A" model
Not a pre-A, Speedlock, or Slowlock surely?
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

Doesn't no letter designation mean pre-A, which would put it in the 1920's? If so to a collector it might have some value, to a competitor it is basically worth $zero.
patriot

Post by patriot »

rbs wrote:I will add that Karl Kenyon felt the C models with serial numbers above 90,000 had some of the best barrels Winchester made.
Interesting. I purchased a late 52C target with a low bid through one of the auction houses. I was happily surprised when it arrived; like new with all the original accessories. I benched it at 50 with irons and it shot very tight groups. The local Winchester fanatic after one look at the rifle and targets started talking deals; no sale. Now that I'm retired we have a date at 100 with a Supertarget scope to see just what it will shoot.

Mark
wahoowillie

Post by wahoowillie »

In my post above I incorrectly stated that the 52B I recently purchased was built in the 60's. That's what the FFL seller told me and I hadn't yet run down the SN which is 47502B. Winchester database online indicates a 1939-1940 build, but today I reached the 70 year son of the original owner who said that his dad bought the gun new in 1937 "to use for small bore training at Camp Perry." The gun is remarkably well preserved and the bore looks like new. I assume it's a target model but don't know difference between Target and Sporter models. I suspect that the Marbles Goss rear and Redfield front sights indicate Target Model but would like to know for sure and would appreciate guidance from knowledgeable members. Thanks!

NRA Life Member
Modena

Post by Modena »

whatever year that thing may be, surely a thing of beauty it is!
patriot

Post by patriot »

Beautiful rifle! Here is a 52B Sporter
Win52BSporter.jpg
bearphoto

Post by bearphoto »

I will post up the sn and see what someone can come up with. I got yelled at the other day as I lifted the rifle up to inspect the bolt and bore area and the barrel tip struck one of our overhead hanging lamps and broke the glass out of it, lol.
bearphoto

Post by bearphoto »

Okay, mystery is solved simply by putting my glasses on. What I thought was a 0 at the end of the serial number is actually a C

So the serial # is 1039##C.
rbs

Post by rbs »

I sent you a pm
bearphoto

Post by bearphoto »

I got your message, I'm in Lake Havasu, about 3 hours from Phoenix. Let me know what you'd like to do!

Doug
bearphoto

Post by bearphoto »

In viewing the sights and accessories and overall gun condition there are no marks or scratches on the stock, blueing appears to be original in excellent condition, sights are Redfield Olympic, front and rear, the barrel is a bull barrel, muzzle is not blued which is correct for a later C model I'm told. The butt plate is adjustable and also has a shoulder hook attachment, 2 magazines and an off hand grip. There are a total of 3 dovetail sight mounts including the front sight mount so it appears its ready for a scope installation if desired. According to my scale without any attachments or sights installed that this rifle weighs 11.8 lbs.

Any comments or questions or value estimates are appreciated.
beye

Post by beye »

wahoowilie, you have a standard barrel target model and a very nice one.