adjustable aperture air rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Ltdave

adjustable aperture air rifle

Post by Ltdave »

what rulebook allows or disallows adjustable aperture for Air Rifle?

i THOUGHT i read in the CMP rule book (whoever they affilated with) that adjustable (vs individual inserts) were not allowed, but i was speaking with one of the AMU shooters at Camp Perry and he said he and several other shooters (all of them?) use adjustable front apertures...

my daughter has one on her smallbore rifle and its much easier for her to adjust it for different range conditions than messing with the individual rings...
Pat McCoy

Re: adjustable aperture air rifle

Post by Pat McCoy »

I believe the 3P Air Rifle rules for SPORTER Class rifles is the only rule disallowing the adjustable front aperture.
Mike Carter

Post by Mike Carter »

jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Mike Carter wrote:Rule 4.5 Precision Rifle sights.
http://thecmp.org/air/national-standard ... fle-rules/
Only for SPORTER is it not allowed ... allowed in PRECISION
Andre

Post by Andre »

In Sporter I leave my sight hand tight and move it front to back to simulate adjusting aperture size. Proper eye relief (not saying extremes here) won't have much of an effect in sporter unless you have poor eyesight.
Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

so ISSF allows them?

i dont know if CMP is affiliated with ISSF or if they use the same (or some of the same) rules...
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

Yes they are legal in ISSF. Kinda pointless though. Once you find what size you want, you don't really ever need to change it. Mine has been at 4.1 for like 4 years.
I really like the Centra High End inserts.
Matt
Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

WesternGrizzly wrote:Yes they are legal in ISSF. Kinda pointless though. Once you find what size you want, you don't really ever need to change it. Mine has been at 4.1 for like 4 years.
Matt
well the daughter shoots NRA, CMP and ISSF ruled air rifle...

id like to think that one rule book would be good for all of them but what passes one matches rules doesnt necessarily mean it will be legal in the match she shoots the very next day (in some cases)...
Piefou

Post by Piefou »

WesternGrizzly wrote:Yes they are legal in ISSF. Kinda pointless though. Once you find what size you want, you don't really ever need to change it. Mine has been at 4.1 for like 4 years.
Matt
Well i disagree on this point, variable aperture size can be very useful when you go in a different place with unusual lighting.
National championship are in huge exposition building, with poor (inexistent) lighting, and opening the aperture can help gain some eye confort.
FWB P700 Alu & JSB S100 pellets // Annie 1913 Precise & Eley Sport bullets
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Ltdave wrote:id like to think that one rule book would be good for all of them but what passes one matches rules doesnt necessarily mean it will be legal in the match she shoots the very next day (in some cases)...
Haha .... Hahahahaha ..... Hehehehehe ..... hahahahahahahahahahahaha
(cynic that I am)

The ISSF is really or was the >>basis<< for all the US shooting .... and when ISSF rules were fairly stable you could pretty much be comfortable going from one organizations match to another.
(specifically ISSF --> NRA 3.2 rifle ... get into the other rifle types and all bets are off)
And within a fairly narrow band it still is.

The problem is that ISSF changes rules so much (especially after the last Quad), even USA Shooting does not follow all of ISSF rules ... except when the shooter is going to international ISSF competitions.
It's just too expensive for the membership.

CMP 3-P air rifle was conceived to be a feeder program into the USAS International style ... get kids hooked on shooting sporter and then advance them to precision where the rules are VERY close to USA Shooting, into college with NCAA rules which are again close to USAS & ISSF.

I am not very happy with some of the changes I've been hearing about with ISSF after this quad ... collegiate coaches have been told to be very careful (if at all) in ordering new clothing. Right now I recommend off the rack to my shooters rather than custom ... why pay expense of a custom set if it, or some won't be allowed after next Feb?

As ISSF screws with the rules, more and more of the feeder program are going to drop away and come up with a set of "pick & choose" rules ... which we see a lot of within 4-H in the counties & districts (thankfully the 4-H National uses the NRA rifle 3.2 -any rifle- as their rules basi)s ... pretty much if you come out of an ISSF or USAS based program, you are good to go in NRA 3.2.