1911 Recoil Spring w/Slide Mounted Red Dot

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

matchguy

1911 Recoil Spring w/Slide Mounted Red Dot

Post by matchguy »

Been thinking of mounting my red dot on my 45 slide instead of the Aimtech grip mount. Read a good article about mounting it but it mentioned I'd need a lighter recoil spring to compensate for the extra weight on the slide. My 16# spring works great for target loads, 4.5 Bullseye 200 lswc. What spring would I need for this?

Is the slide mount still the norm for Bullseye shooting? Don't see the mount for a Gold Cup anywhere but Clark's website.

Thanks
C. Perkins

Re: 1911 Recoil Spring w/Slide Mounted Red Dot

Post by C. Perkins »

Both of my 5" guns with a slide mounted Ultradots used 12# springs reliably.
My current Clark Sr. long slide works with a 16# spring.
Am currently shooting 4.6gr Bullseye under Nosler 185gr JHP's

Depending on your gun and loads somewhere between 12-14#'s would be my guess.
You will need to experiment with your setup.

Clarence
D.R. badge #99
Kirmdog

Post by Kirmdog »

Try it wit your 16# spring first. My setup was with a 30mm UltraDot slide mounted and it worked sometimes with a 16# spring but went with a 14# spring to get better reliability.
Ttgoods

Post by Ttgoods »

4.5 200gn lswc is a little heavy for Bullseye, a #14 should work

#16 might work

#12 is what I use with my les Baers using 200gn or 185 gn lswc and 4.0

#11 I will try tomorrow with 3.6 to 3.7 shot line loads.

Try Bob marvel website for the scope mount problem is the slide is not round.

BULLSEYE GEAR MIGHT HAVE THE TOO.
Nine major

Post by Nine major »

I use a 10lbs with 4.0 titegroup with 185 swaged swc shoots great from lone line. Tite group is almost same as bullseye.
matchguy

Post by matchguy »

Ttgoods wrote:...

Already got the Clark mount a few years ago but haven't installed it yet. With the ammo, powder, primer crisis, my pistol shooting has been reduced. I don't see slide mounts anywhere but Clark & RRA. Wondered how people are mounting their dots for Bullseye these days. Thought the slide mount was preferred.

Thanks
mr alexander

Post by mr alexander »

matchguy,

Looking for another source for a slide mount? Try viewing this website, marvelcustomguns.com

Once there, click on "Scope Bases", found in the upper left corner of the page. Thought they also offered them to fit the

unique profile of a Colt Gold Cup slide.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

matchguy wrote:
Ttgoods wrote:...

Already got the Clark mount a few years ago but haven't installed it yet. With the ammo, powder, primer crisis, my pistol shooting has been reduced. I don't see slide mounts anywhere but Clark & RRA. Wondered how people are mounting their dots for Bullseye these days. Thought the slide mount was preferred.

Thanks
Very much a personal choice thing. The better question is preferred by whom and why? One of the initial arguments against the frame mount, was, they weren't stable, and they put the scope tube too high above the slide.
A David Sams or Jerry Keefer frame mount, will put the dot at the same point above the the slide that a slide mount will. Your loads will be the same as shooting an iron sights gun(and more reliable)
It is also the most secure way to mount a red dot.

But in answer to your question, a lot of wad guns have a Weaver or Picatinny rail attached to the top, and the scope rings attach to that rail. It is also possible to attach the rings directly to the slide.

A slide mounted dot, will slow the recoil of the round and make the kick less sharp, but in my opinion, it is also more likely to cause an alibi, if the gun is cold, a little dirty, dry, or if you limp wrist a shot.

In short, everything is a trade off.