Smallbore Ideas

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

uscgahopeful

Smallbore Ideas

Post by uscgahopeful »

Hello,

I have been looking into getting a new/used smallbore.

I was wondering if you have any advice or pointers on what kind of gun to look into. I have been shooting precision for some time now, and I have been steadily getting better, and it is time that I look into getting a better smallbore.

I know I want a buttplate with a hook, but for an upcoming sophomore in high school who is trying to get into college (United States Coast Guard Academy) with rifle, do you have any advice on what gun I should look into, and where to get it?

Thank you

-Ben
Prospective Cadet of USCGA Class of 2021
rlporter507

ifle

Post by rlporter507 »

for position shooting, Anschutz 1813 super match barreled action, in a super match stock, or newer model.
I would not go with anything older, triggers are not as good.
watch here or gun broker.
mdickinson

Post by mdickinson »

Agree with porter. 1813 would be good for college, 1913 is okay but a little uncomfortable in 3p. Going any newer or looking into FWB, Walther, or Bleiker is just a matter of how much money you want to spend vs. what your intent is.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

I would give Ron Hawkins the rifle coach at the Acadamy a call and talk it over with him.
Ron is an extremely knowledgeable smallbore shooter. And top shooter.
A career soldier, was with the USAMU.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

Jake every thing you said about the coach is correct except his name. It is Richard Hawkins. He would be an excellent coach. I have known him for years.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

My mistake, I know Rick very well, from the AMU, when he was pistol coach, and his years as a smallbore shooter.

I think I heard of Ron Hawkins.
Don't know why his name popped into my head.
I guess it's old age.
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

Trooperjake wrote:My mistake, I know Rick very well, from the AMU, when he was pistol coach, and his years as a smallbore shooter.

I think I heard of Ron Hawkins.
Don't know why his name popped into my head.
I guess it's old age.
I know a Ron Hawkins from MA. He's a bullseye pistol shooter. Maybe you met him at Perry or something.
SaSA

Re: Smallbore Ideas

Post by SaSA »

All depens on your budget.
There is 3 main brands for good 50 m small bore rifles.
Anschutz, Feinwerkbau and Walther. Then there is also new comers like Bleiker.

if you are looking for second hand rifles then one option is www.egun.de. I do not know hof customs etc. are to US but at least you can see from
there many options for used small bore rifles.
udiablo

Post by udiablo »

With regard to Anschutz triggers, the 1607 and 1613 (the "transition" or "x models" that were built just prior to the 1807 and 1813) have the 5071 trigger. The differences between the 5071 and the later 5018 trigger are hardly detectable. The later 5018 trigger is found in the 1807 & 1813 (Supermatch) and the 1907 & 1913 (Supermatch) rifles. I have rifles on hand with both triggers, and they are superb.

When starting out with a rifle, some like the 1907 (or the 1807) which has a lighter barrel than the Supermatch (1913 or 1813).

Then, as the shooters' skills increase, they can consider "working up" to the heavier barreled Supermatch rifles (1913, 1813) or to the 2013.

All of these have the Anschutz Model 54 action, but the 2013 is squared (instead of round) and has a different system for barrel attachment to facilitate barrel change/replacement.

If your core strength is good, you might go with a Supermatch (1913) with a position stock and accessories, or the Precise (aluminum) position stock. Champions Choice probably has them in stock.

If you need less weight, look at the 1907 in a 1914 stock, with the adj buttplate & hook.

Either should serve you well, IMO.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Its worth pointing out that female shooters have a lower legal weight for their gun. It can be a challenge to keep a ladies gun "under" (I did see the original post was by Ben, but a lot of people read this)
udiablo

Post by udiablo »

Yes, and the 1807/1907 is about 2-1/2 pounds lighter than the 1813/1913 Supermatch.

Currently there several different stocks available for the 1907, including two with adj buttplates & hooks, and three (4?) aluminum (Precise) stocked versions, plus left hand models.

Am a little reluctant to suggest anything less than Anschutz for serious use. Certainly FWB, Walther, Blieker, and G&E are also fine, but getting parts/accessories/information on Anschutz here makes it a popular choice.
Rover

Post by Rover »

If you're going to New London, they'll probably issue you a rifle. Why don't you phone and ask?
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

Red

It is true that there are different rules for women in ISSF competitions but in NCAA matches everyone shoots the same rules.

Rover

Most college teams expect you to bring your own equipment. Budgets on college rifle teams can be small and it can cost $10,000 to outfit an international style rifle shooter today.
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

I had some coversations about this with Hap Rocketto (Asst. Coach at USCGA) at Bristol this year, and I seem to recall that they actually have a pretty good stable of equipment, including rifles and clothing. I also recall him saying that at CGA academics are everything when it comes to admission, and that there are no waivers for admission onto a varsity team, unlike USMA, USNA, or USAFA. Regardless of where you wind up going, NCAA has some fairly strict requirements regarding recruiting contact from university staff, as well as requirements for what you need to take in high school before you can join a varsity squad. Requirements can be found at http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/fu ... ege-sports, and your guidance counselor should be able to help (though I know from personal experience how hit or miss they can be.) If you're on a precision air team, your coach may also be able to give you some pointers on what you need to start working on.

Before you start looking at buying a rifle, I would get in touch with the coaching staff and see what they recommend. When you do start looking for a rifle, a used Anschutz 18xx, 19xx, or 20xx would not hold you back, has an excellent trigger, parts are readily available, and the stock can be swapped out at will if need be. Keep an eye on the classifieds here, or toss a classified ad up yourself looking to buy.

Out of curiosity, what are your current precision scores for 3P and standing, and what air rifle are you currently using?
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Just weighed my 1813. It's a tenth over ladies legal without any weights tube or forend attachment for standing.