apertures

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jmlpa

apertures

Post by jmlpa »

My daughter uses the standard anschutz metal aperture inserts, i don't know the size.,1903 22lr I would love some input on the clear apertures and size? She shoots 50ft prone on 2 different teams. School and club.
A family that shoots together stays together
Dickn52

Post by Dickn52 »

They are so personal that this will be a hard one to answer. EVERY shooter has different vision requirements, and the best you could hope for here would be a general starting point. That was the main reason in variable iris's in the first plate. Good luck though.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

The metal inserts have the size stamped on them. I think for most good to advanced shooters an adjustable is a good upgrade. They can change aperture sizes between positions. You get to a really high level then maybe something else is better...most seem to change out the entire sight set with risers between positions.

I wouldn't have guessed it, but an adjustable or any other will work perfectly well in the tunnel made for the metal inserts

There isn't a right number, but I give you these to give you an idea or a starting point. I shoot 3.5 ish for prone. I have my 12 year old shooting 4.0. My 14 yr old shoots 3.6 prone and 4.0 standing and kneeling. All with a "normal" length barrel
bpscCheney

Post by bpscCheney »

FWIW I shoot with a 5.2 on a 690mm barrel with a 10 inch tube.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Switching from metal to plastic elements is pretty easy. A selection of plastic elements is not expensive, but is money well spent. Start with the same aperture size as the metal, and swap as needed. Plastic apertures often have a thinner ring than metal, so your daughter may find a slighlty smaller aperture gives the same effect.

If the foeesight tunnel has a slot at the top you may need to cover this with tape when using plastic elements.
jmlpa

aperatures

Post by jmlpa »

I think i will buy her a set from champions choice and let her try different ones. CC Clear Aperture Insert Set (10 Inserts) (18mm) Part # CCA2 . Any thoughts?
justadude

Post by justadude »

The Champions Choice set is a great starting place.

As has been noted, the choice in size is somewhat personal but also governed by eyesight and range lighting conditions. I will concur that middle 3s is good for prone to low 4s for standing. Do not fall into the trap of trying to get the aperture so small that you see only the thinnest ring of white. You want some room in there. Bull completely inside the aperture for at least 50% of the time during the best part of the hold or aperture about 1.5X the diameter of the bull are two popular metrics.

Front sight tunnels come (for the most part) in 2 sizes, 18mm and 22mm. Your 1903 would have the 18mm tunnel. As a result, most accessories designed to screw into a M18 front sight will work. Hence, the adjustable apertures just screwing right in. The cost of an adjustable is not really warranted at this point when compared to the cost of a handful of plastic apertures.

If you get fancier, the Anschutz set has a collet system clamping ring so as you change apertures you are guaranteed you will come back to zero within a click or two.

That is all in the future: When you go with the Champions Choice apertures, install them with the small side of the hole facing the shooter. As already mentioned, some tape, preferably black electricians, over the slot on the top of the sight tunnel to make sure the aperture appears as dark as possible.

Happy Shooting

Dude
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

I think i will buy her a set from champions choice and let her try different ones. CC Clear Aperture Insert Set (10 Inserts) (18mm) Part # CCA2 . Any thoughts?
The chances are that you will use about 3 out of the 10! I would check the size that she is currently using and get the next 2 or 3 above that and at most 2 below. When you find the size that gives the best results then think about investing an a Centra High End Glass insert. I think that they are really good giving a consistent image under all but the most extreme light conditions.

Rutty

PS
I am not a fan of thin front sight rings. You need to focus on the ring so it makes sense to give yourself something that is easy to see.
justadude

Post by justadude »

Rutty has it exactly right, out of a set of 10 you will find that 2 or 3 tops get 99% of the use.

The comments about ring thickness are also well taken. Larger apertures appear better proportioned when the ring itself is thicker. The high end Centra apertures he refers to are very nice and clear and in the end deserve consideration as they can also be ordered in varying ring thickness.

At the same time I revert back to the suggestion of the Champions Choice set to get started on this path. I see the current listed price is $28 for the CC set. I cannot buy one Centra high end for that price. I think the light pink Anschutz apertures are a little shy of $10 a piece right now but have not checked.

Cheers
Dude
efoleyjr

Post by efoleyjr »

Invest in the Centra Hi End's and never look back. Best supplier is Center Shot Sports or ISS.
Ed
justadude

Post by justadude »

@efoleyjr
I read your post and I get the feeling you recommend the route of just buying a whole bunch of really expensive Centra apertures trying to find the right one. While this would work, it is probably not cost effective

While I cannot knock the high end Centra apertures, they are great stuff, the OP is just getting started with clear apertures and probably is interested in keeping costs under control.

Rutty pretty much nailed it, get a set, find which sizes are used the move over to the real high end stuff as needed. I emphasize this approach as I work informally with a few of the junior parents in my area. Some are really worried about the cost of the equipment and accessories. Lots of really excellent scores have been shot with some pretty basic clear plastic inserts.

Cheers,
Dude
dc.fireman

Adjustable aperture..

Post by dc.fireman »

JMLPA - I began with a set of the clear apertures. They worked well, but I was consistently changing them out at first, trying to find the size that worked best for me. I ended up going with an adjustable aperture. Homer sells it at CC. I decided on the 2.5 - 5.0 range, and I'm comfortable with it.

If the sight tunnel is threaded, this is certainly an option for her as well.
jmlpa

Thanks

Post by jmlpa »

everyone, you have helped me as always.
efoleyjr

Post by efoleyjr »

justadude wrote:@efoleyjr
I read your post and I get the feeling you recommend the route of just buying a whole bunch of really expensive Centra apertures trying to find the right one. While this would work, it is probably not cost effective

While I cannot knock the high end Centra apertures, they are great stuff, the OP is just getting started with clear apertures and probably is interested in keeping costs under control.

Rutty pretty much nailed it, get a set, find which sizes are used the move over to the real high end stuff as needed. I emphasize this approach as I work informally with a few of the junior parents in my area. Some are really worried about the cost of the equipment and accessories. Lots of really excellent scores have been shot with some pretty basic clear plastic inserts.

No, I did not recommend buying a whole set. I assume he is close and can buy 2 or 3 and have the right size.
Ed
Cheers,
Dude
efoleyjr

Post by efoleyjr »

No, I did not recommend buying a whole set. I assume he is close and can buy 2 or 3 and have the right size.
Ed
Cheers,
Dude
efoleyjr

Post by efoleyjr »

Ed
Cheers,
Dude
gwsb

Re: apertures

Post by gwsb »

My 2c worth is to buy an adjustable if you can afford it, especially for a jr shooter whose needs change as they get better. Also she may want to change sizes for different positions and indoor vs outdoor. An adjustable is really more flexable. Anschutz makes an adjustable app that in adjustable for both inside diameter and outside diameter. That is what I used.
AhuckTotem

Re: apertures

Post by AhuckTotem »

It depends on how far she wants to go. I have an adjustable front aperture on my Anschutz and it works really well for 3P rifle. I shoot for 2 teams. 4H and the West Seattle Totems.