Location of lights in indoor shooting range

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
amarinder

Location of lights in indoor shooting range

Post by amarinder »

I am converting a empty hall in my workshop into 10m range. But I am confused regarding where and how many lights to install. I am no expert in this. If somebody has some experience, would be glad if he share.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Will upload some photos tonight, but this might give you something to think about for now.

MS Paint drawing might give you an idea of a typical club range lighting setup. Attached are some rules.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

NB: The recommended lighting specs are way up on the early 2000s rules due to lighting for television cameras. Minimum in 2003 was 1000 Lux at the target and 300 Lux at the Firing Point.
Recommended now for modern ranges is 1500 at the firing point, bring sunglasses.

When I set up a range in my garage I used a desk lamp (60W) as a spot and had three fluro tubes across the roof of the garage (10m length).
Light on the rear sights was an issue - but now I just shoot at my club as it is a 5m drive and you might as well train how you shoot.

You can see my club range in this video somewhat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRHL04OE6vw

If I had no option but to train at home I would make damn sure I got the light at the firing point perfect.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I wouldn't worry about the lighting specs - most clubs are way under those limits, I think mine is less than 50% of those values.

The image though is very helpful. Essentially you want a well lit target with good overall light throughout the facility, with no glare or bright lights obvious to the shooter - hence most are behind small baffles on the ceilings. We use floor mounted halogen floodlights to acheive the same effect, they just need to be screened from the shooters.

Rob.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Back with some pictures - perhaps some inspiration.

Couple of pictures of behind and in front of the firing point.

Couldn't get pictures of the target end as I forgot my Kevlar vest.

As Rob said, note the baffles which block light.
6string

Post by 6string »

Too many ranges over-light the area immediately behind the shooter and under-light the target area. The result is a lot of glare on the sights. I prefer a brightly lit target area and indirect light over the shooter. This gives a nice, black sight picture with clear visible light in the sight picture.
But, I get the impression that I'm in the minority with this opinion.

Best regards,
Jim
amarinder

Thanks a lot mate

Post by amarinder »

Thnaks a lot .The pictures are of great help. If I have to measure the intensity of light, do i have to use lux meter?
ronpistolero

Post by ronpistolero »

Hello SamEEE,
Good day.
A bit off topic as I could not inquire via PM.
I'd like to find out more about the target retrievers in the pictures above. Who makes it and at what price.
Thanks and have a good day

Ron
Spencer

Re: Thanks a lot mate

Post by Spencer »

amarinder wrote:...do i have to use lux meter?
Yep - much better than a stopwatch
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

ronpistolero wrote:Hello SamEEE,
Good day.
A bit off topic as I could not inquire via PM.
I'd like to find out more about the target retrievers in the pictures above. Who makes it and at what price.
Thanks and have a good day

Ron

They are Rika Sydney changers.
http://www.schiesssport-buinger.de/shoo ... ro-Catch_1

We have used them for 7.5 years now without any hassle. Had to replace one time rated component in one changer this year, a motor run cap.
Good quality motors and components in them.