Faster Relays with Electronic Scoring

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Orpanaut

Faster Relays with Electronic Scoring

Post by Orpanaut »

If we assume, for the sake of discussion, that electronic targets are coming to the National Matches at Camp Perry, one consequence that I think we can all agree on is that the automation of the scoring and the elimination of target replacement should reduce the time required to shoot the matches. It might not happen at first as the technical glitches are worked out, but eventually, there should be some time saved.

Under the current system it takes about two hours to shoot a 90-shot aggregate. If automation saves five minutes of scoring/replacement time per target for each of nine targets, that would trim the time required down to an hour and 15 minutes. (These numbers are just guesses based on my experience as a competitor.)

Is that too fast? Shooters will still need time to load magazines, adjust equipment, and pick up brass during a match, and I would like to have a little time to sit and sip some water between strings. Most of us will still have down time during the alibi strings, but even the alibi shooters deserve a break.

As for the larger question of how to schedule the matches as a whole, I see three basic options:

1) Keep the current schedule and just have more free time between relays. This seems like a good idea for the first year, at least, since there will be so much uncertainty.

2) Compress the schedule from six days (CMP prelim to NTT) to four. Fewer days could mean more participation since competitors would have to spend less on meals and housing and would also have to take less time away from their jobs. It could also mean slightly lower match fees since the NRA would not have to pay as much rent to the OHNG or as much salary to the support staff.

3) Keep the current schedule and add more matches to take advantage of the extra range time. More shooting might also increase participation and possibly draw more sponsors if the right "side matches" were introduced.

Your thoughts?
ghillieman

Post by ghillieman »

Currently, our monthly club match runs just over an hour per match, depending on Alibi's. So I would think that electronic scoring could shorten it quite a bit.

As for a schedule, how about 3 days. A .22 day, a centerfire day, and a .45 day. A person could go shoot their match and then compete in any other side matches they want and still have time to do other things with the family.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

There is a two-edged sword hidden in this.

in ISSF 25m Womens Pistol, the Range Officer would call "LOAD" as soon as there were no known 'problems' and the shooters were not used to not having the time to score/patch between series.
The ISSF now has a minute pause before the next "LOAD".

re "...and pick up brass during a match" - do the cases evaporate if not picked up at the end of the relay?
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

Spencer wrote: re "...and pick up brass during a match" - do the cases evaporate if not picked up at the end of the relay?
Excellent point...nothing more annoying, than a neighboring shooter more focused on retrieving spent brass than remaining still and quiet while others finish a string of longline..
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

How about this?

Deleted:

It's just not worth trying to explain something to those that do not have to eyes to see the real issue.
Orpanaut

Post by Orpanaut »

I think the idea of a one minute pause between "targets" sounds reasonable. That shouldn't result in any more brass rat mischief than we have now.

There's also going to have to be some sort of transition after the slow fire portion of the national match course. I expect they'll keep the targets in place and move the firing line from the fifty yard line to the twenty-five yard line. Since we won't be carrying targets, spotting scopes or scorebooks any more that shouldn't be a problem even if we do have to carry the monitors for the electronic targets.