PTFE in the bore. Am I screwed?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

ac340

PTFE in the bore. Am I screwed?

Post by ac340 »

I accidentally ran a patch of Breakfree CLP containing PTFE in the bore of my 1907 tonight. Realizing I wasn't using Rem Oil, I scrambled to run a few more patches of Hoppes 9 solvent through the bore followed by more dry patches to try to get the CLP out.

I've heard PTFE can kill the accuracy of any precision barrel. After trying to get it out with Hoppes 9 and dry patches, am I safe?

Thanks
Aaron
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Only one way to find out...

Rob.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Aaron.

do not worry about it. Breakfree CLP is commonly used as a general purpose gun oil and light bore cleaner. It will cause no damage to the bore. Personally I don't use it in the bore, but only becuase I prefer a dedicated solvent that cleans more thoroughly.

However there is a belief that barrels treated with teflon oil may take longer than normal to settle down; i.e you need to fire more fouling shots before normal grouping resumes. This is probably due to the teflon decreasing the friction between the bullet and bore, so velocity and barrel time are inconsistent (more than is to be expected with some rifles after cleaning).

The hoppes no 9 and patches should have removed the CLP.
justadude

Post by justadude »

ac,

As Tim says, you are fine. Take his advice, shoot it for a while, use your hoppes and don't worry about it.

Happy Shooting
'Dude
ac340

Post by ac340 »

Ok, good.. I admit I panicked a bit over this one. :)

When doing a detailed clean I CLP exterior surfaces, use hoppes in the bore, and rem-oil it afterwards. Just so happens my clp and rem-oil aerosol cans sit next to each other.

Thanks guys.
Johan_85

Post by Johan_85 »

I use Breakfree CLP when I clean my rifle after every time I have been shooting. I run two dry patches before I shoot it the next time and I have never had one problem and I have done this for around 45 000 rounds in my Walther. First shot lands where the following shots land.

I do clean it with shooters choice solvent and a bronze brush after a couple of thousand rounds.
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

I shot in the NTI at Camp Perry a few years back, and stupidly, while sitting in my hotel the night before with nothing to do, decided that 'well, maybe I'll just run a few light patches through'. The only thing I had with me was CLP.

That screwed the pooch. First 2 shots were way high, I think a 7 and a 6. SO there went my opportunity to do anything. It took about 4 or 5 shots to settle down, and I shot pretty well for the rest of the day after that.

So, anything teflon does is gone after a few rounds. It's just if you were counting on those few rounds that you are screwed.

I heard in the olden days, guys would run a patch with lighter fluid as the last thing, to try and scrub out any oil residues.
Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
info@shootingsight.com
513-702-4879
NMC_EXP

Post by NMC_EXP »

ShootingSight wrote:
That screwed the pooch. First 2 shots were way high, I think a 7 and a 6. SO there went my opportunity to do anything. It took about 4 or 5 shots to settle down, and I shot pretty well for the rest of the day after that.

I heard in the olden days, guys would run a patch with lighter fluid as the last thing, to try and scrub out any oil residues.
Back when I was shooting an M1 Garand, had the same result with CLP. The first 3 or 4 were way out.

I still carry a can of cigarette lighter fluid in my cleaning kit. Use it to rinse bore solvent from bronze bore brushes. The theory is the brushes last longer.