Help with Jacket Dilemma

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Man_In_The_Arena

Help with Jacket Dilemma

Post by Man_In_The_Arena »

Hi Fellow Shooters,

I'm planning to get a new shooting jacket and pants as my current set doesn't comply with the latest ISSF rules and my jacket seems to move/ride when I get into prone position. Jacket and sling moves very easily no matter how I try to tighten them up.

I've been eyeing the Kurt Thune jackets but few in my country use KT (most here use Korean Marksman House). Those rare few who did buy the Hybrid-Pro told me that their KTs had better fitting and workmanship than their KMH, but reverted to using their KMH because it was stiffer and gave more support.

I'm worried about spending 960 USD on a new KMH suit just to get the same problems. On the other hand, spending 1600 USD on a KT Hybrid-Pro is a pricey gamble for a fresh graduate who has only trained with KMH.

Is the Hybrid-Pro really that soft? Should I consider the Canvas-Pro instead? Any advice from experienced prone or 3P shooters would be welcome. Thanks!
justadude

Post by justadude »

Are you married to the idea of a Thune suit or would you consider a Sauer, Monard, AHG now sells Kustermann. Feeling rich? Mouche is excellent stuff.

Frankly, if the KMH is stiffer than the Thunes I would be surprised if the KMH would make it though equipment control. Most new suits need to be worked a bit before they pass Equipment Control.

Personally, I shoot a canvas Sauer and am quite pleased.

With regard to the jacket sliding in prone. Sometimes the wrong choice of underclothing will make this a problem. Many of the synthetic materials designed to keep an athlete cool offer very little friction to the next layer so the jacket will slide around the body. Might not be the jacket at all.

Dude
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

What aspect of your current suit fails the rules ? I'm just thinking whether you can simply get it modified and save the money. If I was looking at spending that kind of money I'd go look at them in the flesh before deciding. Most manufacturers are at the world cup meetings as well as many other big national meetings so you should be able to find somewhere to view, even if you don't have a local supplier.

Rob.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

justadude wrote:With regard to the jacket sliding in prone. Sometimes the wrong choice of underclothing will make this a problem. Many of the synthetic materials designed to keep an athlete cool offer very little friction to the next layer so the jacket will slide around the body. Might not be the jacket at all.

Dude
Dude has a poiint, some synthetic tops are very shiny.

Although it could just be the cut; made to measure jackets are not always a perfect fit. When my MTM AHG jacket arrived it was several inches oversized around the chest and shoulders. Eventually I had it altered, including having the sling holder moved further back - after that the jacket quit sliding off my shoulder.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

duplicate post
Last edited by Tim S on Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
dontshootcritters

Post by dontshootcritters »

Hi there

As for which coat/pants to buy obviously there are many options if you are spending a sizeable amount of money.I use Mouche and it is definitely the best I have ever had[by a long way]
The most important thing to get right from the get go is how they want you to be measured.Dont take it fro granted that every manufacturer is the same and PLEASE make sure that who ever drives the tape measure has experience! I have seen some very very bad items from companies you have mentioned here.
vishwadangat

Post by vishwadangat »

I want to buy a new jacket trouser as well.I am an air rifle shooter from Pune, India and have been using Capapie jacket n trouser for last few years. i am thinking of buying Kurt Thune now. Any suggestions on which of their jacket trousers are worth the money spent? They cost almost thrice the price of my current clothing.
Man_In_The_Arena

Post by Man_In_The_Arena »

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Well I'm not dead set on getting a Thune yet, it's just that they're the only European suits I have seen in my country (Singapore) so far. Almost everyone in my country uses Marksman House for made-to-measure suits.

I have never seen a Sauer or Kustermann suit in person. I did see a Monard jacket this week. I've never been sent to compete in European competitions so I haven't had the luxury to meet the manufacturers. Perhaps one day I will buy a ticket to fly to one of these World Cups just to do so. If only I had bet on Germany winning 7 - 1.
What aspect of your current suit fails the rules ? I'm just thinking whether you can simply get it modified and save the money.
My current suit was bought in 2009 so I think there's quite a lot to be modified? The elbow areas, the side of the torso where seams are no longer allowed, and the overall thickness of the suit; those are a few I can think of.
The most important thing to get right from the get go is how they want you to be measured. Don't take it for granted that every manufacturer is the same and PLEASE make sure that who ever drives the tape measure has experience! I have seen some very very bad items from companies you have mentioned here.
That's one of my fears as well, even for Marksman House.
Frankly, if the KMH is stiffer than the Thunes I would be surprised if the KMH would make it though equipment control. Most new suits need to be worked a bit before they pass Equipment Control.
My teammates who went for WC Munich and Maribor didn't have any EC issues with their KMH suits. But it's true that KMH is always on the stiff side. That's something I have to think about if I change to a brand that is softer..........................