butt pad on pants

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

blg

butt pad on pants

Post by blg »

I know that the pad on the seat of the pants is no longer legal. But why do they still allow the shooters to put a loose pad between the foot and butt in the kneeling position? Isn't it doing the same thing?
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

They don't allow that. Even the tail of the jacket cannot go in there.
justadude

Post by justadude »

@Pat,

Take a look at ISSF/USAS rule 7.5.8.6 "Kneeling Heel Pad" which specifically allows for the use of a pad between the heel and the butt. Now, I will agree, tail of the jacket cannot go there but a specially made pad can.

@blg

The last major ISSF rule change seemed to be doing a lot to make shooting clothing look a lot more like street clothing. Not that this is really possible but... There were extensive changes to the boots that would basically make them look more like just a boot and then who walks around with a non-skid rubber pad sewn to their butt? Well, no one I can thing of except a 3P shooter so the butt pad went away. So that is my conjecture, they were not really trying to restrict the amount of padding, more trying to change the appearance.

The interesting thing, the new kneeling heel pad can be up to 10mm thick when tested with the clothing thickness gauge, compared to the rubber non-skid that used to be on the butt we actually got an upgrade in the amount of padding allowed.

Cheers,
'Dude
RobStubbs

Re: butt pad on pants

Post by RobStubbs »

blg wrote:I know that the pad on the seat of the pants is no longer legal. But why do they still allow the shooters to put a loose pad between the foot and butt in the kneeling position? Isn't it doing the same thing?
As Dude says, I'm sure it was just a cosmetic thing.

Rob.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Could it also have been that some shooters were using the old pad to add additional stiffness to the trousers.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

David Levene wrote:Could it also have been that some shooters were using the old pad to add additional stiffness to the trousers.
It could have been although they were rubber pads so thicker yes, stiffer I'm not so sure. I'm also not too sure how a stiffer buttocks area would aid their stability but I'm pleased to say I'm no expert in that area ;)

Rob.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

justqadude:

Thanks. I guess I missed that one when it came out. Mea culpa.
justadude

Post by justadude »

Pat,

No biggie, while we were all waiting for it, the rule change right after the 2012 Olympics produced a few head scratchers. What do they mean by _____? We are worried about tuner tubes, boot soles and jacket stitching. Something a small as a heel pad kind of gets buried in the noise.

I expect we will still be sorting some of this out when Rio comes around.

Hopefully the change after the 2016 Olympics won't be as dramatic.

Cheers,
'Dude
Andre

Post by Andre »

Believe it of not, I was told that the pad makes you look like a monkey and that's why they they have to be removed. I'm dead serious.
justadude

Post by justadude »

Yeah,

I can believe that. Occasionally you hear stories about meetings at ISSF level and you just have to shake your head and go "Really?"

'Dude
RossM

Post by RossM »

I suspect someone turned up with a pink rubber bum.......

Being called a Baboon was the last straw....:-)