1813 trigger

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

redschietti

1813 trigger

Post by redschietti »

The seer mechanism spears to be badly worn. But to be honest I don't know what it should look like. On the other rifles we have to looks very crisp. Any links to pics etc? I have had the gun less than a year, so I don't know much about its history. it shoots really well.

Thanks!! James
Bryan996

Post by Bryan996 »

Hi James

Are you experiencing any specific problems with the trigger? I have a 1813 and the sear started to wear, if I took up the first stage and then released again (I know bad habit!) the sear would stick at the end of the first stage and the trigger would then have zero spring tension on it. I managed to improve it by dismantling the whole trigger unit, cleaning everything, re-honing the sear with a ceramic polisher, re-greasing the sear with moly grease and finally increasing the first and second stage spring tension slightly to pull the sear back into place.

Hope this helps,

cheers
Bryan
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Bryan,

I guess you can say I'm having the opposite problem! I have only been shooting 9 months so I didn't mess with the trigger settings when I got it. Since I'm shooting pretty well 590/595 integer issf target I spent an hour looking at the trigger and lowered the first and second stage weights to the air rifle settings I'm used to feeling. I tried this to get my scatt numbers better. Besides noticing what I'm pretty sure is serious wear, the first stage doesn't always come back if released before taking the shot.
My temporary fix is probably the same as yours.

If it cant be fixed by filing, and I'm betting it cant, is it smarter to replace the whole trigger unit or just try to replace the two worn pieces, if available?
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

James,

it may be worth contacting an Anschutz certified gunsmith for advice or repair. If you were in the UK I'd suggest taking it to the factory service team at Bisley; this might be an expensive option in your case.

Part of the problem with Anschutz triggers is that there are so many adjustments that it's possible to adjust it wrongly, but still get an acceptable release. I'm told that this can increase wear. I wonder if a previous owner did this. Conversely I know many shooters whose rifles have appalling spongy triggers, but who are terrified to adjust them.

Tim
Bryan996

Post by Bryan996 »

Hi James

This is exactly the same problem I was having, taking up the first stage and then releasing it it before taking the shot would cause the sear to catch and not return. Lowering the spring tensions would show this up as they pull the sear back into its starting position. The problem is that the part that needs polishing (not filing or grinding!) sits inside a well that makes it very difficult to reshape. I would recommend cleaning, greasing (but only the sear as its too thick for the other moving parts and might not have been done for 30 yrs!) and increasing the first and second stage spring tension slightly. I'm not sure if you can get spares or not, I suspect it will be a new trigger unit. I too have only been shooting around a year, don't be afraid of giving the trigger a good clean, I almost completely dismantled mine to get the friction down on all the moving parts.

Another trigger related advice that might help you (it did to me), is to just the trigger stop way back. I had shots dropping because as I pulled the trigger I was hitting the stop whilst the round was still in the barrel, this pulled the muzzle down slightly. By adjusting it a long way back my finger is still moving long after the round has left the barrel.

Hope this helps