1911 grouping

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

ghillieman wrote:Has anyone ever heard of a barrel that would shoot SWC's but not 230 LRN or FMJ? Ive shot this gun into the 270's with 200gr SWC at 830 fps, but I have never been able to get it to do well at 50 with hardball ammo, no matter what velocity. 25 timed and rapid are great, just not 50.

I have been able to tighten the gun and get the 50 yard groups tightened up... some.....

Ive got a few more loads to try before I give up on the barrel and get a Kart kit. I just cant figure out why it will shoot SWC's and not hardball ammo.
I suspect the answer has got to be bullet sizing. The composition and size of your lead ammo, is correctly sized for your barrel, and it is putting the proper spin on it, which is making it accurate at the fifty yard line.

I am not going to say that 45 hardball guns as inherently inaccurate, but my high master friends, who should not be that affected by the one half pound trigger difference seem to have consistently lower scores at the long line, with their ball gun, than with their .45 wad gun.

If it was me, I would call the AMU and ask them which barrels they use in their 45 ball guns and why. They may not be using Karts.
Kirmdog

Post by Kirmdog »

What make of 230 grain ball are you using and have you tried different types?

I reload 230 FMJ Hornady over 4.2 of TiteGroup in Federal cases and get great accuracy out of my Kart barrel.

Kirmdog
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

ghillieman wrote: What's everyone's opinion on the quality of factory Colt barrels? I can weld up the lugs, hood, and feet and refit the barrel, but if the bore is sub par would I be better off fitting a new match barrel?
I would fit a new match barrel, as Jon suggested. Not only is link length an issue, chamber depth / head space is usually a compromise.. The only way to know the capability of any barrel, is thru the use of a barrel tester. Not all barrels are created equal, nor is 230gr ball ammo, regardless of the manufacturer. It's true that some Colt barrels shot well.. but welding is a risky proposition. Not long ago, a very good smith/friend tested a Colt barrel that shot very well. Welded it up, fit it. Shot quite well for a ball gun.. Until the hood cracked off several months later.. I only weld as an extreme last resort, using every trick known to prevent crack failures. This barrel tested very well, but, every gun having different stack tolerances, there was not enough material on the bottom lugs to fit to the slide stop pin.. So this barrel was welded in the lower lug area only.
TAJ45

Welding

Post by TAJ45 »

Dang Jerry, if that isn't pretty work.

Tom/
Toolmaker retired.